Finally time to put the Rig back on the trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. Hope this finds all you and your rigs in good mechanical workings. So after 3 years now since my father passed away and I inherited his FJ40 I am ready and able to put the time and money into it needs to go back out trailing. Its an '81 with the 2F engine. Really my knowledge of everything on its specifics such as exact gearing is a bit foggy. Sadly my dad didn't have everything he had ever had done with it written down anywhere. At least to my knowledge. My father lived in CA with it for 7 years while I still lived in WA. He never smogged it or anything for CA emissions and that resulted in it not driving much. As far as I know a run through of basic belts, fluids, probably gas lines and tank, and a carb rebuild would be all it really needs. Beyond that being needed to get it back on the road it was always a really sound rig. I want to do more with it though. I want do this thing up top to bottom. I plan on pulling the motor and tranny eventually and rebuilding them/having what I can't do (machining) done for me. Money won't really be a concern as this Rig is going to end up being something of a monument to my father. I intend to weld in a secure box to carry a portion of my father's ashes so he can go camping and trailing with me. I have been debating with myself as to what kind of fuel system I want to run. I have been leaning towards propane since it won't be a daily driver. Any thoughts. I will slowly be going through and reading previous posts on the matters but figured I would introduce myself and say what's up. Will post pictures up soon. Trail on everyone

My condolences on your father. My father passed three years ago too.

Recommend you get the rig running and driving first and let it tell you what it needs. '81 is a valuable year, would recommend keeping it as original as possible.

Are you in CA or WA? Does the rig need to pass emissions? Here in VA anything older that 25 years is exempt from emissions requirements.

Enjoy it for what it is. Keep it original.

My two cents.

I have no intention of this rig EVER leaving my family. Its value to me is worth far more than it could ever be worth. I plan on keeping the original motor in it with a rebuild in the future. After I connect back with my local rig groups. Its back in WA with me so no emissions. Sorry to hear about your father as well.

Welcome to the site. I also inherited a family member's FJ40 about 1.5 years ago. Owning on of these trucks is a great way to keep memories alive. I think of my brother everytime I drive his FJ40.

I look forward to seeing your posts. This is a great community and you can get almost any question answered.

Your plans sound very reasonable. Just drive the truck and see what needs to be fixed. I would have the brakes and master brake cylinder checked. My master cylinder failed on me with no warning.

Please post pictures of your rig.

After it sat for a long time not even being cranked over ever it got here from Cali and after 15 minutes with some starter fluid and feathering of the throtttle it started up and was able to drive it right into the parking spot where I drained the fluids and its sat covered since. My father had a LC my entire life. I plan on having his the rest of my life.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure with the advice and guidance of the guys on the forum, it will turn out great for you.

Now, how about some pictures...

Need to go and take a few with my gitl's camera. Had really good pics on my old phone but it broke. Will try and get some up tomorrow if it isnt raining. 600 dollar cameras dont like rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom