Finally some 3FE love (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Watching cruiser listings is a bad habit I have. I think I remember a nice orignal grey FJ80 listed in the LA area on Ebay or Craigslist about a year or so ago. It struck me because it looked like a pretty solid rig that an elderly owner was parting with. I really think this seller also saw the ad and jumped on it. It really was an original faded cruiser and I think this is it. It cleaned up very nice. I really see nothing in the listing that would give me pause. All the items I see are common failure and wear items. Looks like it has had brake work and a good detail, buff job. I would do nothing with this one except drive it to find out its needs. Really strait and clean presented in an honest fashion. If the mechanicals are good, it would make for a fantastic wrap candidate better yet a good candidate for a full restoration.

It seems that the story that most FZJ80 will have head gasket problems i think has been blow way out of proportion. If you'll take the time to do a search here on Mud, you'll find that there are a lot of FZJ80 owners who have over 300,000 miles on their trucks, and their still on their original head gasket.

Now that's not to say that some owners haven't had problems with failed head gaskets, but it's still not as common as many people seem to believe. My personal opinion, i think that more then one of those head gaskets that failed, was caused by an owner who didn't stay on top of their cooling system maintenance.
I personally have seen more than enough fair share of HG problems in the 4.5L, so it is not to say they are blown out of proportion. For me, most ppl are not going to take their time to spend the money and upgrade their cooling, until something breaks, and that unfortunately, might be too late for most. So if you stay up with the cooling and maintenance, you might be golden, but for most, unfortunately, that one time you overheat that motor might be the end it. The 3fe is a fantastic motor in a sense that it can take more of a beating or tolerance in that regards...if I am going offroading, the last thing I want to worry about is overheating my motor and worry about my HG.

I personally have seen more than enough fair share of HG problems in the 4.5L, so it is not to say they are blown out of proportion. For me, most ppl are not going to take their time to spend the money and upgrade their cooling, until something breaks, and that unfortunately, might be too late for most. So if you stay up with the cooling and maintenance, you might be golden, but for most, unfortunately, that one time you overheat that motor might be the end it. The 3fe is a fantastic motor in a sense that it can take more of a beating or tolerance in that regards...if I am going offroading, the last thing I want to worry about is overheating my motor and worry about my HG.

I would say from this forum alone that I have been scared into thinking that my 250k 4.5 engine probably needs a head gasket and in my eyes I figured I would just do a full rebuild and really get to know my rig in the process.

That said, I don't think many of us here are expecting any rig with 250k, 3fe or not, to be cheap to maintain. Most of the members here have enough disposable income to throw at these rigs, and the guys that don't (like college kids) are usually directed to go and get a 4runner instead of buying a cruiser.

So.... not that I have unlimited funds, but assuming all years have their issues, I would rather spend the money on the truck that I can daily drive the easiest, and I have daily driven both the 3fe and the 1fz, and would never go back to the 3fe personally. If a $1200 head gasket change makes the fz live on and enjoyable as a dd, that would be my preference. Took me 8k to make my 3fe a DD and that was with a vortec motor.

The 3fe may go longer, may not need head gaskets, that is all subjective and I have no idea how true it is, but I know which one I would prefer to drive to work every day, and which I would want to be used to pull tree stumps out of the ground all day. They are both great motors in their own way.

Last edited:
It seems that the story that most FZJ80 will have head gasket problems i think has been blow way out of proportion. If you'll take the time to do a search here on Mud, you'll find that there are a lot of FZJ80 owners who have over 300,000 miles on their trucks, and their still on their original head gasket.

Now that's not to say that some owners haven't had problems with failed head gaskets, but it's still not as common as many people seem to believe. My personal opinion, i think that more then one of those head gaskets that failed, was caused by an owner who didn't stay on top of their cooling system maintenance.

Save your breath, some will cling to their baseless propaganda no matter how many facts are presented. It's like they feel the need to insult others rigs to make them feel better about theirs.

so far I love my 3fe. I am coming from experience with the 22re, 3rzfe, 5vz and jeep 4.0 and 4.2 engines. In my opinion the 3fe is like a simple bigger version of the 22re mixed with the jeep 4.2 inline 6 in terms of simplicity and robustness and reliability. yes it is very slow but I blame a lot of that on the auto transmission behind it. If I had the money I would convert mine to a 5 speed. I bet that would do wonders for it. I am glad I ended up with a 3fe fj80

Last edited:
Save your breath, some will cling to their baseless propaganda no matter how many facts are presented. It's like they feel the need to insult others rigs to make them feel better about theirs.
By no means i am bias or insulting others, i think you have me misunderstood. I have helped numerous fellow members on troubleshooting their rigs, and almost all are 1fz-fes. All i am saying is, it seems like the majority of the members on here are and bashing the 3FEs, and praising their 1fe-fes to be the "best thing since slice bread" mentality on here that i feel like it is giving the 3FE a bad rep for those doing research on MUD and trying to get into the 80s world, to me, it is a bit unfair. So for anybody to be telling me that i need to insult others rigs to make myself feel better is truly a false statement. On the other hand, the 4.5L guys if anything are the ones you should be spoken for just because they talk trash about the 4.0L and when it is time for us to talk back and return the favor, they simply can't take it. So when i push the issue regarding the HG issues, they get all bend out of shape because it is simply a "sensitive topic" for most of them...The truth is, i love the 3FE and i have no problem with the 1FE-FE...both are fine engines, just different strokes for different folks..so pick your poison. :flipoff2:

Wow, This ebay sale is now over $20k. Could be a teenager sitting in his bedroom making fake bids but also could be a wife tugging at her husbands arm saying "I want it", buy it for me!" Depending upon how pretty she is, We will have a world record FJ80 sale :)
That is kind of what happened to me when I bought my "overpriced" FJ80, rust-free, one-owner California truck in need of a few things. No where near this one's price but about twice what market seemed to be at the time. We love it and it has become a member of the family. Sometimes, you do get what you pay for...

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2420_2.jpg
IMG_2453.jpg

Wow, This ebay sale is now over $20k. Could be a teenager sitting in his bedroom making fake bids but also could be a wife tugging at her husbands arm saying "I want it", buy it for me!" Depending upon how pretty she is, We will have a world record FJ80 sale :)
That is kind of what happened to me when I bought my "overpriced" FJ80, rust-free, one-owner California truck in need of a few things. No where near this one's price but about twice what market seemed to be at the time. We love it and it has become a member of the family. Sometimes, you do get what you pay for...

View attachment 2108857

View attachment 2108858View attachment 2108859

I like the look of those bfg tires. I have been thinking about getting those on mine cruiser. I had bfg mud terrains on my tacoma in the same size and loved them.

beautiful rig you got there, and i am digging the 2 tone. I also bought mine from 1 owner AZ car that is rust free, with the newer style wheels, but it was bone stock otherwise. I have been building it up overtime, 33s, 35s, lift, and now on 37s. It was regeared to 4.88, f/r lockers, and it pull grade just fine with full armors. I frequent do long trips with my brothers JKU on 37s and the 3FE has no problem pulling grades with full AC. The 3FE is a great engine and never skipped a beat. Here is a before/after pic and how it sits now and it will be in the family for a long long time..
CKVxMSk.jpg

Opps, bidding went crazy now it is back to $18,800. Something smells funny with this one now. Previous posters may have had a point.

Eventually it wont matter the year for these or motor/color

People will just want the cleanest/lowest mileage/well kept example they can find, with 97 collectors always having a premium just like any last year model(and any of the low production paints).

Eventually it wont matter the year for these or motor/color

People will just want the cleanest/lowest mileage/well kept example they can find, with 97 collectors always having a premium just like any last year model(and any of the low production paints).
I agree, the good ones will always hold value and appreciate. If you play the long game you probably will not loose money on any good, rust-free example.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 3FE in general. Everyone has their own preferences and reasons for bidding to win. Glws to the ebay seller. I’m not going to lie. I have bid up and won many items way past what I wanted to pay. It feels good winning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom