finally solved one of my vibration issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
after over a month, i findally solved one of my vibration issues and wanted to share my experience since this is a common topic. i've spent hours reading and re-reading vibration threads and there are very few with follow-up on whether or not the issue was solved. looking back, i should've started where i ended up, but this is what happened.

to give some background, i have a 96 with 209k miles and recently mounted a set of used (~7500 miles on 'em when i got em) BFG 315 MT's. i swapped the OME yellow bushings with slee blues to bring the caster in spec and it definitely improved the handling. shortly after i had them mounted, i noticed a speed-specific vibration around 65mph. it felt like i was driving on a washboard road. more of a "shake" than a vibration.

at first i suspected the tires, so i had them balanced several times, and ultimately went to dynabeads with no change. then i checked the driveshafts removing one, then the other (using the CDL) with no change in the shaking (i replaced the u-joints while i had 'em off but they seemed to be o.k. despite having over 200k on 'em). i pulled the plug and replaced the fluid on the diffs and the transfer case and the fluid was clean/clear. same with the transmission. i then removed and inspected and repacked all 4 sets of bearings and they were in great shape. at that point, i suspected it was either the tires or a dry/worn spindle bushing. i should've suspected that all along, i guess.

bcs i got the tires used, i was really suspicious that they might be the cause, so i replaced them with new BFG 295 AT's with no change in the vibration/shaking. so i finally decided to replace the spindle bushings and voila, the rumble-strip vibration is GONE!! after reading all the posts, the speed-specific shaking always got a lot of dry spindle responses, but i didn't read one that had a follow-up post to say that the new bushings fixed the shaking except for a post from alia.

anyway, that was one of my experiences with vibration. i now have developed another vibration (more like a "hum") in the front drive shaft (it goes away when i pull the shaft) that i seem to notice most when i'm going abt 50mph. i didn't notice it until i pulled the shaft and replaced the u-joints. (i made sure i had it 90deg out of phase.) i'm gonna pull it again and send it to have it balanced. i'm trying to decide if pulling the napa u-joints i have in there now and replacing them with OEM will make a difference.

good job and thanks for the follow up.

Good luck with the other "vibe" chase!

i'm trying to decide if pulling the napa u-joints i have in there now and replacing them with OEM will make a difference.

Landtank had a bad experience with new NAPA unis. The consensus has been to use Toyota u-joints. They eliminate a lot of problems and last a long time when properly lubricated.

Thanks for the follow-up. I agree that we have waaay too many threads where the OP puts in a desperate call for help, gets several good suggestions, and that is the last we ever hear. The result is that nobody knows what worked and what didn't and that makes our next remote trouble-shooting session even more difficult. Pity.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom