Finally killed the 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my way to work this morning I blew my 2F. I think I threw a rod. There's a lot of friction taking the dip stick out, and the distributor is pinned up against the block. Whatever it is, there's only one way to find out/fix it. Overhaul!

Anybody got some good tech links for doing this?

CCOT has a rebuild kit for over $1,000. I don't want to cut corners, but is there a more efficient kit I can use, that will DO THE JOB RIGHT?

I live in Houston, but will probably be doing the work in Austin. Anybody got a good v8 i can throw in there? or a good 2f?

Mike

oooh, just had an idea. Anyone know where I can find a diesel to drop in this bad boy? What model diesel would go in a 77-fj40?

All depends on how much money you want to spend, and how much time you got.

The less time/money, the more better off rebuilding the 2F you are.

If I were to go diesel I would with a four cylinder Cummins. The best deal you can get for a rebuild would be your local rebuilder or who ever is going to do the rebuild for you.

thanks for the replies. I have lots of time, no money. The usual. I'll be doing the rebuild so i'm looking for the best kits/instructions to get it done.

I'll check out the 2f for sale.

I've got a 350 out of a 70-73 Camaro. It runs and is an FJ40. It was mated to a 3 speed but the tranny blew. I would take $400 for the motor. Located in Colorado. Where are you?

I also have a 2F that was pulled out of a 77 FJ40. Not sure how it runs but ran when pulled.

i'm in Houston

see my for sale ad, 2F

rebuild stock, guess you would have close to $2k in it, without major work.

diesel i would lean towards the 4bt :)

I've been looking at the cummins 4bt with dodge clutch/bellhousing and nv4500 with advance adapter to toyota transfer case for a while now and off hand, it looks like it could cost 5-10 thousand dollars very easily. Maybe it could be done for less, but I don't see how it could be done on the cheap.

search for Pac Lift out of Califorinia...no website but the guy will fax you a parts sheet with a rebuild kit listed (some where around 500-600 dollars for the entire kit) I don't have his number handy but search the website for it. I beleive a couple other folks have used him with good results.

EDIT:here you go i found the info in this thread.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50454&highlight=pac+lift

Stew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom