Finally!!! Installed 6.5" rear door speakers. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought these rear door speakers in April 2019.
Yeah, I know. Look up "procrastination" in any dictionary, my name will show up.

I was gonna have it installed because... yeah lazy.
Then 2020 hit us hard. Everything closed. Oh no, more reasons to put it off.

A week ago I got this soldering kit off Amazon and somehow I managed to get my son out of his room playing games into the garage to help me out.
It's actually what I wanted to do, spend some time with him and hope he'll learn something. I hope he did.

6.5" JBL GX-602. Larger magnet and skeleton.
I had to enlarge the opening using some metal shears. It worked perfectly, very little effort.
Hammered the small sections inward, checked for clearance.
I found some metal screws inside my garage and secured the spacers really nicely.

The sound difference is enormous. The original speakers were simply old and sounded muffled, less clarity (not damaged), less everything...

I even had to dial down the bass since the new speakers help in that department too.
I also have a hidden subwoofer installed which helps with the bass too and it had to be dialed down a bit as well.

The speakers were purchased on ebay for about $50. Soldering kit $20 on Amazon. Time spent with my son... priceless.

Thank you for sharing. I am about to do something similar, so all the details you've provided is helpful. Curious, you mentioned that you needed to turn down the bass. What type of sub did you employ and are you running additional amps for the speakers and sub? Are you utilizing all speaker locations? Are you using the factory head unit and wires? Thank you!

Thank you for sharing. I am about to do something similar, so all the details you've provided is helpful. Curious, you mentioned that you needed to turn down the bass. What type of sub did you employ and are you running additional amps for the speakers and sub? Are you utilizing all speaker locations? Are you using the factory head unit and wires? Thank you!

I am not one of those who feels the need to wake up the next zip code.
These two additions fill in the bass more than the original speakers ever could.
I have a Pioneer shallow mount 8" in the original location installed in a Pioneer subwoofer box with a Sony amp under the driver's seat.
Front door speakers are Kenwood shallow mount and all the rest are original.
Alpine ILX-W650 headunit without any amps.

Here's my sub installation.

I am not one of those who feels the need to wake up the next zip code.
These two additions fill in the bass more than the original speakers ever could.
I have a Pioneer shallow mount 8" in the original location installed in a Pioneer subwoofer box with a Sony amp under the driver's seat.
Front door speakers are Kenwood shallow mount and all the rest are original.
Alpine ILX-W650 headunit without any amps.

Here's my sub installation.

Thanks!

Thanks for the write up. I just ordered these and plan on taking your approach. These speakers are probably a newer version of yours. Similar dimensions with more power, not that I need that!

1675027496730.png

1675027541552.png

1675027636308.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom