Finally, I have my 100! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a year of researching, mostly on mud (thank you all very much), I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a 2000 RiverRock Green Mica Hundy. Thank you @OSTATECRUISER for a great buying experience. Long distance sales can be tough (even though it's only 3 hours away), so I appreciate Keith's patience getting everything finished up. I had a previous deal fall through when the seller changed his mind after we made a deal (someone offered more $). I'm sure that saved me from a bad experience.

I've previously restored a 40, and drove a long bed 45 that I bought from Marv Specter, but never got around to restoring (sold here on Mud). Deployments and family commitments just never allowed the time. I knew I wanted to get into overlanding, now that life seems to be in a place where I'll have the time and resources. Started out thinking 60s, quickly moved on to 80s, and then realized that a 100 was the right rig for me. This was the first 100 I ever drove, and it exceeded my expectations. Thank you all for a great forum!

After a quick once over, I broke it in the "right" way by driving out to Prescott to help my son move back to Texas. It handled the trip with excellence, flawlessly pulling a loaded uhaul trailer back here through 100+ heat and mountain passes. It's certainly not my F-350 when it comes to towing, but it did admirably.

IMG_3454.JPG

Congratulations. Dig that color.

Good to have your Son back in TEXAS too. All around great trip.

So, the base lining begins. The truck has had pretty good maintenance over the years - TB, WP, Radiator, alternator, starter, brakes, belts, hoses all changed in last 50k miles. It drives and runs well. Nice mods so far - Sliders, bumper, Falken Wildpeaks (I really like these tires). Tough Dog shocks and OME 1.5" springs.

So, cleaned MAF and TB, once over of everything. Polished the turn signal lens' - still a bit yellow, but no longer cloudy. Adjusted the aim on the headlights. Noticed rear breather was disconnected (easy fix). Factory skidplate was missing some bolts (also easy). All bulbs were replaced years ago with LEDs...never be an early adopter...I'm on the road to replace them all. Tail lights and flashers were intermittent, and I discovered the cruise control would shut off with the right turn signal, as well as engine surging in beat with the signal. I pulled them and replaced with standard incandescents--problem solved. I need to replace all bulbs in the dash - lots of flickering and half of them don't work.

I tried to adjust the factory TBs - the passenger side still has over an inch of adjustment left in the bolt, the driver's side is all the way in. I also cannot move the driver side adjustment more than a 1/4 turn in either direction, even with an impact, which has me concerned. I'll need to do more hunting here to figure that out. I'd like to raise the front another inch or so, there is about 2" of rake right now.

Also on the list - a good polish (hood is oxidized), recover front seat, change hoses and clamps to factory, and change out green coolant for red. Also passenger CV has been leaking for a while, so new boots. Passenger inner tie rod is also worn out (about 1/4" of play). The rest of the suspension is very tight.

Then I can get to the fun stuff! I do have an '86 SVO in pieces right now for paint, so I'll have to split time so get my other mistress done!

I tried to adjust the factory TBs - the passenger side still has over an inch of adjustment left in the bolt, the driver's side is all the way in. I also cannot move the driver side adjustment more than a 1/4 turn in either direction, even with an impact, which has me concerned. I'll need to do more hunting here to figure that out. I'd like to raise the front another inch or so, there is about 2" of rake right now.
One of my TB adjusters is frozen too. It's a large fine thread that's pretty exposed to the elements, so not surprised that it got seized. I bought the replacement parts (bolt & half-moon-shaped swivel) but haven't installed them yet. I'll definitely be applying some anti-seize. Part numbers for reference are 48169-60010 & 90101-18010. I paid about $35 for both via PartSouq.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

One of my TB adjusters is frozen too. It's a large fine thread that's pretty exposed to the elements, so not surprised that it got seized. I bought the replacement parts (bolt & half-moon-shaped swivel) but haven't installed them yet. I'll definitely be applying some anti-seize. Part numbers for reference are 48169-60010 & 90101-18010. I paid about $35 for both via PartSouq.

View attachment 2407954
View attachment 2407955
Thanks! Definitely in my future. Hopefully it will loosen up and not require a grinder or a torch to remove.

Glad to see you have a great vehicle to start with. Makes a lot more fun to fix and tinker when you aren't working just to keep it on the road. My driver's side was lower than the PS, and I after a lot of trial and error found out the TB was maxed out so had to reindex it. Was a bear but I figured it out. Had to soak it down for about a week with PB blaster and it finally got some movement when I first started on it. Graduated from Decatur HS way back in the day.

Thanks, Ambledog. I’ve got it soaking and will get after it soon. I’ve got new lights for the dash, and that is the plan for today. I’m tired of flickering lights and not seeing the speedometer at night.

Next is to get an obd2 reader so I can troubleshoot the airbag light.

Azle is our new forever home. After retiring from the Air Force, I had a stint in CA. Couldn’t leave there fast enough. I got saved by Lockheed, and we’ve built a small farm as well to keep busy.

Congrats. That's a nice color.

Let the fun begin. 🤙

Nice looking 100! Welcome to the madness :cool:

I just finished replacing most of the instrument panel lights. Thank goodness for a small swamp cooler In my shop, it’s 103 here today!

They look great. A PO has put low quality LEDs in there, and they were flickering or out. Now that I’ve taken the cluster out 3 times (out to change them all, out again to turn two bulbs around, and again because I didn’t notice a third bulb that needed turning)...I’m pretty fast now, of course with any luck I won’t do it again. Thanks to the threads here for a guide.

I need to go for a drive tonight, just because.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom