Finally got a "H" Engine Workshop Manual! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To quote an Oz advertising Icon(RIP) "I'm EXCITED!"

I have hunted high and low, online and in bookstores. I would have thought there'd be a few around. Considering these motors were fitted to Dyna's and Coasters as well as Land Cruisers

Oddly the CD workshop compilations which cite "covers from 69 to 1990" on ebay have every other motor made by Toyota in the known universe, bar the "H".

The Ellery's manual briefly touches on the H but mostly lumps it in with the 2H, which would be groovy but they are two different motors with some parts compatibility. Sorta like Ford Cleveland 302/351 & 429/460 or Chev SB/Pontiac SB.

Now I missed one about a month ago on ebay, puter problem :doh: (Arrgh!), I advertised for one on ebay and got a very silly response, I wasn't going to pay $110 for a photocopy.
Now I got one, and the "H" Supplemental manual as well, on ebay.

So the next job is to digitise them and make them available here, that will take a little while.

In the interim I'll be happy to answer any questions regarding the "H" motor. The Supplemental manual goes into some depth regards the Injector Pump, and alternator/vacuum pump.

I'm a bit anal about having the right information before I start a project. My H/FJ45 is starting to take shape, I have to bring the truck back to square 1 (ie repair all of the PO's beer inspired modifications) before I can go forwards. That entails replacing wiring looms, properly plumbing the fuel lines etc. Nothing that most of you guys haven't dealt with before...;)

Well the kiwi dollar is worth F-all compared to other currencies so perhaps this may be of interest someone viewing this thread:

Toyota Land Cruiser Repair Manual, and two supplem for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Looks like these 3 factory manuals are in top condition too.

:cheers:

PS. I have absolutely no connection with the seller other than living in the same country.

(The asking price looks too high for NZ residents but it will be nothing to people who use Amercican dollars.)

Holy Smoke Batman! NZ$250 (about Oz$201/US$150) starting price for those 3 manuals, that fellow is dreaming! I paid Oz$ 90(US$65) at spirited bidding ebay auction for mine including postage for all the same manuals. Maybe He'll take an offer from the right person.

H Supplement

G'day Rufus,

The H supplement is a smaller manual (about 130 pages) which, has updated information for the H diesel motor. It covers the fuel system including injector pump in a lot of detail. Also covers updated info on the EDIC, Starting and Charging systems. It's intended for use with the H engine workshop manual.

It leaves all the basic nitty gritty of the motor to the original manual. As you already have the H engine repair manual you should be ok for most things.

If as in my case where the motor came from a Dyna truck or you have circa 1978/79 HJ40/5 having both manuals will be handy.

Could you please inform the less knowledgable people the diferences between the H and the 2H.
Cheers Matt

Ah cheers for that
Matt

"JohnnyC"did you look on here for the manual in pdf form?"

Yes I tried that link to no avail, there was manuals for the 2H, 12HT and 1HZ. Not the H.

"Toyfj45 " Could you please inform the less knowledgable people the diferences between the H and the 2H.
Cheers Matt"

The H (Not to be confused with the 1HZ which people call the 1H)) is the precursor motor to the 2H. Rather like the 260 windsor V8 is the forebear of the 5.0 (302)windsor.

The H motor was fitted to Toyota HU10 Dyna Trucks and HJ Landcruisers from 1973 up to around 1979/80 when the 2H took over. The H was also fitted to Toyota Forklifts.
The H is a 6 cylinder 3.6litre 90 hp @ 3600rpm 151ftlb @ 2200rpm, 7 bearing motor which runs 19.5:1 compression , with indirect injection from an inline pump.
The main differences are, the cylinder head, primarily the inlet side. the H has siamesed inlets on 2,3 & 4,5.
The Block has a number of differences, cartridge oil filter, mounted on the Right hand side, Inlet Manifold, Bore, Stroke, Journal sizes but the injector pump, timing gear set up, EDIC set up is the same more or less.
The two main differences between the Dyna fitted motor and the Landcruiser fitted motor are that the throttle body is horizontal for the Dyna and vertical for the Landcruiser, and the injector pump govenor is mechanical on the Dyna motor as against the pneumatic govenor fitted to the Landcruiser.

I'm still digesting the manuals at the moment, I like to know as much as I can before I start tinkering. If I had my druthers I'd rather my truck had been fitted with a 2H. But H is what it is and it runs ok. So it will stay for now. Which will make getting a road worthy certificate easier because the truck had been registered with this motor.

Tobugrynbak thanks for that. If and when there is a PDF format of the manual i will have to get one as i mite consider finding one and putting it in my FJ45.

Unless you already own the motor and want to do it for hysterical oops historical reasons then your better off with a 2H. More power, better parts availability.

Cheers
Perry

I am only thinking of different engines for my FJ45. At the moment it's up in the air. I have a 73 model and was toying with the idea of keeping it year specific.
But then again i have thought of putting an isuzu in it, or getting another hj60 and using the diffs, gearbox, transfer, and 2H.
As you can see i'm undecided and still throwing ideas around.

To quote an Oz advertising Icon(RIP) "I'm EXCITED!"

I have hunted high and low, online and in bookstores. I would have thought there'd be a few around. Considering these motors were fitted to Dyna's and Coasters as well as Land Cruisers

Oddly the CD workshop compilations which cite "covers from 69 to 1990" on ebay have every other motor made by Toyota in the known universe, bar the "H".

The Ellery's manual briefly touches on the H but mostly lumps it in with the 2H, which would be groovy but they are two different motors with some parts compatibility. Sorta like Ford Cleveland 302/351 & 429/460 or Chev SB/Pontiac SB.

Now I missed one about a month ago on ebay, puter problem :doh: (Arrgh!), I advertised for one on ebay and got a very silly response, I wasn't going to pay $110 for a photocopy.
Now I got one, and the "H" Supplemental manual as well, on ebay.

So the next job is to digitise them and make them available here, that will take a little while.

In the interim I'll be happy to answer any questions regarding the "H" motor. The Supplemental manual goes into some depth regards the Injector Pump, and alternator/vacuum pump.

I'm a bit anal about having the right information before I start a project. My H/FJ45 is starting to take shape, I have to bring the truck back to square 1 (ie repair all of the PO's beer inspired modifications) before I can go forwards. That entails replacing wiring looms, properly plumbing the fuel lines etc. Nothing that most of you guys haven't dealt with before...;)
Hey buddy, old post but I am curious if you ever uploaded an H manual after all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom