Finally getting ready to buy the first FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And if you wait it will be gone if it isn’t already and we will be seeing a thread about the giddy new owner on this forum

My advice is to list your wants amd needs and then search.
You say you have OK mechanical abilities, but then ask about 'how hard' it is to swap a tub....it involves 40 year old bolts, connectors, obsolete parts, failed rubber everything, and on and on. You should at least understand that.
Read every single build thread here. So much info to be taken in. The nuances, year differences, NA vs. SA trucks, what parts are available, who to buy parts from, and on and on need to be learned.
You say you want buy site unseen, but keep asking what we 'think' from a few pictures. We don't know either.
It's not for the faint of heart or poor people.
Wow, I definitely offended you. I am just asking for opinions you don’t want to share don’t. Yes, I know how to search and have read many things here. When I asked how hard it is to change a tub is not because I don’t know what it takes; all I have to do is a search on YouTube and here, and I can see pictures and all, but asking an opinion here to see what real people that have done it say it is not wrong like I learned it's 80-100 hours of work maybe you did, but the video I saw was 15min on YouTube. Yes, I take care of my cars and have done it for the last 20 years, but I never worked on a 40-45-year-old truck built to be a workhorse.
As far as asking for an opinion on what to buy, trust me I have my own opinion. I just want to see what other people that have had this car and actually spent some time working on it have to say. I am new to this I am sure you saw it; I totally missed that the other FJ did not have the right shifter for the year model. For an untrained eye, it’s possible to miss, and for someone that knows their car it’s possible to find things that I or maybe you would never find by just looking at a picture.

Bottom line don’t want to help don't. Just want to lash out at people, I don’t think this is a place for it.

If you have any questions about tundra, 4runner, or any Audi, no matter how stupid, go ahead and ask. I'll be happy to help you with it. I have worked on them and owned many of them.

Thanks man just did that going to pick it up Saturday.
You are going to be sooooo much happier with this beige '76 than that yellow pile you originally posted. No offense. But the beige truck is such a better baseline, all you have to worry about are the little things, not major body & paint projects. I think people overlook the time suck and money suck that these trucks become when you start replacing body parts & panels.

You are going to be sooooo much happier with this beige '76 than that yellow pile you originally posted. No offense. But the beige truck is such a better baseline, all you have to worry about are the little things, not major body & paint projects. I think people overlook the time suck and money suck that these trucks become when you start replacing body parts & panels.
Thank you sir

1snowboarder

Nice find. I would have hated to see someone else buy that rig out from under you while you were making your decision. You had some honest questions and I think it helped you make the right decision. Most guys won’t post the entire add with all the info, most keep that intel close to the chest. I’m looking forward to your refresh thread. Congratulations and welcome to the 40 family.

1snowboarder

Nice find. I would have hated to see someone else buy that rig out from under you while you were making your decision. You had some honest questions and I think it helped you make the right decision. Most guys won’t post the entire add with all the info, most keep that intel close to the chest. I’m looking forward to your refresh thread. Congratulations and welcome to the 40 family.
Thanks

Congratulations! That looks like a great one. Heck, I would have been tempted to buy that one myself!

It’s Done. Looks like I am an FJ40 owner. I will start a new thread with more pictures and work that is going to be done.

F736CF5C-BEF6-473F-BC01-80B7DB870ECC.jpeg

1221F05E-F575-4B43-9A73-402EBB1ACAB3.jpeg

Awesomeness. Congratulations! You’re going to love it.

Congradulations! That truck checks off alot of boxes including an honest price in todays market.The documents solidify a solid history, rare.
I look forward to the new post with details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom