Finally getting ready to buy the first FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, my name is Sonny. I am from VA. It’s been a few years since I have wanted to buy an FJ40. I finally have some money to spend on that. My wife and I have some mechanical skills, nothing crazy, but we can get things fixed, so looking for something that has everything but needs minor work, something around 15-20K. With that said, I am looking to buy this. It comes with an extra hood and tub.
What do you guys think about this, and how hard is it to change a tub?

F093EC45-1ED6-4DF5-88F6-BD8587D18CF8.jpeg

8A1EC698-9A37-49E1-AA7E-44E94BA55D84.jpeg

68A73F39-36AE-4E2F-85A3-FDBF84F275FD.jpeg

0F15EAFB-B999-4451-B5B4-F0B0F21C0E88.jpeg

C0E7D22D-46E4-46C9-B117-C0884C597976.jpeg

Changing a tub is one thing but installing an aluminum aftermarket tub is a lot more than a one banana 🍌 job. I would pass on that one if I were you.

Does it need the tub replaced? If not but just has some rust, could sell that spare tub. That looks like a newer 40 (79+) and they have been known to rust a little more.

Does it need the tub replaced? If not but just has some rust, could sell that spare tub. That looks like a newer 40 (79+) and they have been known to rust a little

The tub has some rust but nothing that needs to be fix right away. It is a 81.

I’m restoring an 81. For $14k including the tub, I’d say that’s a deal. My personal choice would be to sell the aluminum tub, buy new panels and fix the rust.

There’s no right or wrong way, it’s your vehicle.

Rust repair and repaint is a lot of work. But so is swapping in an aluminum tub and painting that. You’ll have hundreds of hours into the tear down and rebuild either way and the scope creep is a thing.

I'm with @Pitter Patter. Sell the tub and use the $ to fix the original tub.
In this market $14k sounds reasonable, depending on how bad off the tub is.

What's the backstory on the truck and reason for selling. Interior pics?

I am assuming the blue color in the engine bay is original?
Keep in mind the 81 year model is very desirable depending on who you ask, getting near the last year of 40 series being sold in the US.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the info guys I ended up not going with this one the hunt continues.

What is thought behind import FJs I found one that is from Africa that is in ok shape is that worth of looking?

What is thought behind import FJs I found one that is from Africa that is in ok shape is that worth of looking?

Be VERY careful of an import, especially for your first 40. Don't even think about it unless you can have someone experienced look very critically at it. Imports (albeit mostly from South and Central America) are well-known for having lived hard lives, been hammered to death, poorly-repaired in the bush, then given some quick and dirty body work and new paint and imported here.

Be patient. I sold my first 40 which was a mistake. Took my time finding another. Found the one I currently have for well under 20k. My son, my brother and I have done all the work minus a little sand blasting and powder coating that we outsourced.

Thanks for all the info guys I ended up not going with this one the hunt continues.

Curious what made you pass? 8/80 had definite improvements. Larger springs, split transfer case, hand brake on the rear axle. This one looked to have the power steering option. That was only available 1/79 and later as a option. The H55F is fairly easy to add 8/80 and later. It has a lower first gear and overdrive fifth gear.

It wasn't the car. It was the owner, he would respond here and there and even send a videos of the car but then went silent and no response. I even went and reserved a trailer for a pickup day. 😒

Sorry about the crummy seller. I've encountered that more times than I care to mention. Just don't get in a rush. Take your time and you'll find one that's right for you. Good luck, and enjoy the hunt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom