finally found out how to post pictures. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
I finally got a camera and learned how to upload photos to mud, after two years lurkin in the forums.
I have a 1972 fj 40 named "La Smurf" for obvious reasons. She has a bad oil leak around the Valve cover gasket and I broke some screws the other day trying to remove rusted bolts from the frame bumps. I have to replace one of them because PO had one miissing. I am Going to have to drill them out. I got the 40 in 2006 as a present to myself for graduation and have only tried to maintain her since money is tight. Graduate School is expensive and time consuming. She did not have brake cylinders (two per wheel) so I had to buy and replace the drums and run new lines. Not a simple task for someone with little mechanical skills and money, but I tried and did it. Hooray. Next step is to fix steering issues and suspension. She is real loose. I have replaced the tie rods but did not do the steering shaft. Well here are some photos and will post more when I have time. Writing a paper for school. This week task on La smurf is replace PCV valve, hose and install new fuel filter. She was stallin the other day after a run on mopac and when idling.:frown: Laters
IMG_1831.jpg
IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_1898.jpg

Nice Truck, you need to make the meeting with it at Rudy's 183 & Duval (Austin)and let us ogole it. If she's loose(in the steering), check the center arm, if there is slack there, it will be all over the place on the road.

Nice rig. I got a center arm rebuild kit & tie rod ends from ccot, & I'm very happy with them. Easy to install, & the tie rod ends came with spare dust boots. It made a world of difference, my steering is tight now. The center arm was $48, and the tie rod kit was $78. I have standard measurements for the center to center of the tie rod, relay rod, & drag link, straight from a Toyota repair manual. Let me know if you would like them.

beautiful truck i love the color! is that bad rust through on the front cross member? how is the rest of the frame? safe to drive?

Absolutely nothing wrong with Smurf Blue 40s in Austin. Just ask me, I'll tell ya! Welcome!

<---------

Leaks like that are very common with the older F valve cover. Many upgrade to an aluminum valve cover from a newer 2F motor. It's a simple swap... And it worked well for me.:D

Nice truck.:cheers:

Way to go! Like Lake Rat says come out and meet some of the others in the area with the disease. Tonight was my first trip up to Rudy's for Q and Cruiser bs. To to the CLUBHOUSE section and hit on the ATX chapter for updates on what's going on locally.

fasten the hood before you drive :eek:

some more pics

Here are some more pictures of the engine, frame bump and a missing shaft to the front case. Previous PO sold it to me like that, but gave me another front axle and the shaft. He said he did not know if 4 x 4 functioned, probably not but hopefully when the time comes to try it I will be happy man. I have not had a chance to play with the shaft since she drives without it. The radiator, fan and alternator are the original factory installed ones, even the oil filter just kidding. I should probably change it though real soon. Will do it when I replace the fuel filter and Valve cover gasket. Could not make it to Rudy's yesterday but will try the next meeting, but I have been saying that for a year. The frame is rusted but I think she is safe to drive since I have not had any trouble in the past two years and I drive twice a week to work and the weekends. I will probably add some rust inhibiotor when I take off the cab and hard top. The only problem I have had with her was a flat tire the other day on 183. I had no jack and Had to walk to Wally mart to buy a floor jack and Tire. How do u post more than three photos? Anyone?
IMG_1847.jpg
IMG_1855.jpg
IMG_1865.jpg

Buy a star, and you can post as many pics as you want. Three pics per post though...unless you store your pictures someplace like photobucket, and then you can link to them...

Nice truck but your missing something on that diff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom