Finally found my FJ43 in Kenya (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys (and girls),

After my initial post in March 2011, I finally found an FJ43 here in Nairobi, Kenya. These are super rare and I haven't seen more than 3 of these in my time here. This is a 1977 model, with a 2F engine and 4 speed gearbox.

The car needs quite a lot of work to be done although it is in running condition. We replaced the carburettor on it with a Toyota KE70 model carburettor yesterday and it ran pretty ok... a bit slow but I was worried about pushing it as it has too much steering play. Initial analysis has revealed the following:

1. Need to stop the leaking gearbox (also very notchy when trying to change from 2 to 3rd gear).
2. Propshafts leaking.
3. Brakes not that great but do work - although the handbrake doesn't.
4. Engine also leaks oil.
5. Steering box has a lot of play as well.
6. New instrument cluster will probably be needed.
7. Steering stalk is broken but the horn on the steering works.
8. Could do with missing switches on the dash as well.

Whilst we will go through the mechanicals, one of my priorities is to stop the leaking canvas top. The metal frame holding the top is quite poorly made and integrated into a home made roll cage at the moment.

Would anyone here have the dimensions of where the hoops need to fit - the actual diameter of the hoops, dimensions from floor to soft top roof and the distances between the hoops, etc? Any photographs that people can share of how they attach to the floor, door tops, etc would be super helpful.

It will be undergoing some renovation - but at this point I'm just trying to decide what I want it to become.

Here are some pics as well.

Here is my initial post as well:

Thanks in advance to those who can help me... and to those that are reading my post.

Best wishes,
Ample

1 side.jpg

2 Roll cage.jpg

3 Side Back.jpg

5 Front.jpg

6 Engine.jpg

Toyota KE70 carburetor (Corolla 1.3), why so small? The 2F engine is over 3 times bigger.

Toyota KE70 carburetor (Corolla 1.3), why so small? The 2F engine is over 3 times bigger.
The guy whom I bought the car from said it will work. I believe he wanted to just make sure the car ran... so he could get paid by me. I believe I will need to change it... as it will strangle the engine.

Nice.

Karibu! good try... I assume you have visited Kenya before?

Anaishi Miaka 43 !!

I'm impressed. Swa yako ni mzuri sana!

When you are next here do let me know and we can meet up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom