Finally caught some fish

yooper

SILVER Star

Spent Memorial Day weekend at my camp on Witch Lake. Harvested a big pile of smallish pike (the lake is overpopulated with small pike so we are attempting to thin them a bit), and the biggest smallmouth of my life. Bass season hasn't started yet, and this monster was emaciated from the spawn happening right now and had one blind eye - definitely the Grandpa Bass of the lake. He was photographed and released. Also caught some small walleye and small bass. Pics:

yooper

SILVER Star

Just under 20 inches. Would have been about 6 pounds if he was fleshed out, but he was really skinny.

Pike on a fly rod are pretty fun.

bkfj40

Wydaho bound
SILVER Star

pickled eggs and smoked fish, those are my two preferences.....oh.....and some PBR to wash 'em down with.....

bk

yooper

SILVER Star

The big bass was caught on a minnow, trolled very slowly at night (NO lights!) - I was actually fishing for walleye for the next day's breakfast. :eek:

During the day I use poppers, big hair frogs, and streamers for bass and pike. The fly in the first pic is a bunny fur leech - only some of those pike were caught on the fly - others were on minnows at night or on plugs cast with a spinning rod. I'm not a fly-fishing snob - it's all fun.

I have thought about getting one of those green underwater fish attracting lights and hanging it off the end of the dock, just so my kids can watch the fish swimming around at night, and maybe let them fish in the light a bit. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :whoops:

paulj

Yooper; Nice catch! You seemed to have mastered the art of holding the fish at arms length toward the camera! Don't see too many pike around here, except in East Texas, but I love fishing for bass with poppers and a fly rod. Must have been really sweet landing that smallie.

3pits

Nice fish!! nothing like the feeling of fighting a strong fish on a light rod or light line,, we caught some 6# carp a few weeks ago,, and promptly let them GO!

damn,,,,,,,,,,,,, gator?

Top Bottom