Finally built an anti-wrap(traction) bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After snapping the pinion in the rear, i decided it was time to build a traction bar. Bought the kit from ruffstuffspecialties.com, and added 3/4" heims with missalignment spacers and a small shackle to the order. Used round 1.25"x.120 walled DOM. Took me about 4.5 hours, start to finish. Doesnt limit flex, pinion doesnt move.
cruiserCLScout 014.jpg
cruiserCLScout 016.jpg
cruiserCLScout 015.jpg

All that welding on the wrap bar and you go a use ubolts to mount your shocks.

Nice job. I've heard the shackle needs to be as much of a 90 degree angle as possible. Why go with 2 heim joints on the front and not just a fixed mount with a bushing like the rears? I would think it would have less of a chance to move left or right and bend some crap. But I'm no expert. Yours it 10 times better than the piece of crap I have.

Awful lot of leverage on that shackle anchor on your skid plate....

attachment.php

:meh:

I agree with Poser. Every time you let the clutch pedal out, your trying to do a small wheelie. I've seen Baja racers build a whole chromoly angulated cage for a front traction bar mount, then rip it right out of the frame. Seems to me you could expect some trouble from your skid plate mount???

I like your design. I dunno about the skid plate mount strength question, but if you wanted to change that skid plate mount, you could use a rear shackle mount tube and stock bushings. You still have rotational flex with the single heim.

Mine will be similar with the forward mount being the shackle tube/bushings and a jonny joint instead of a heim.

Phil

your pops told me you were working on a trac bar......I cant coment on the design but as long as your having fun...enjoy :)

Trollhole- Dint want to weld to that crossmember if i didnt have to. Might change that though. I had the shackle straight up and down at first, but something shifted when it was tack welded and i took it off to fully weld. Kinda stuck with it for now. Whats worse case with 2 heims?

Poser-The skid plate frame is 1 1/4" tube, 3/16 thick. Then a 1/4" sheet of steel for the plate. i drilled a hole in the 1 1/4 tube for the bung to recess into and then welded it. Ya think its that weak? I figure its a hell of a lot stronger than mounting it to the stock crossmember, which is even thinner steel. Or are thinking the weld in bung/heim may bend/break?

Downey-Arent baja racers pushin 600hp plus? Ive got a '72 F. I think ive got 1hp, maybe 2.

Landpimp- yeah he said you were over the other day. Still gettin feed back on the tracbar. It was fun building it. Best part is testing it after a new mod (sm420/locker/etc) and seeing if it works/breaks. Still have any parts you want to get rid of? I need to build a set of hard half doors soon.

vt78cruiser- umm...steel?? I took the front and rear driveshafts off a '72 and a '67 fj40 to the driveline shop and had them use the parts that were in the best shape to make me 1 new one, haha. Had to drill out the holes on the flange to use bigger bolts though. Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom