Finally bought a LC200 (2018 + extras) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@FerrisBueller enjoy that beautiful LandCruiser! Hidden falls, the beach, wherever. I'll be taking mine to SW CO this summer for sure.

@bloc I'm glad you mentioned Hidden Falls. I haven't been there, but I had already been looking into it. Seems like a great place for any level of offroading someone might be looking for. I've done plenty of camping and driving tame forest roads, but not so much with any challenging trails / offroading. Figured now is the time to get more serious with fun off road challenges. The boys are getting old enough I want to get them involved, too.

@bloc I'm glad you mentioned Hidden Falls. I haven't been there, but I had already been looking into it. Seems like a great place for any level of offroading someone might be looking for. I've done plenty of camping and driving tame forest roads, but not so much with any challenging trails / offroading. Figured now is the time to get more serious with fun off road challenges. The boys are getting old enough I want to get them involved, too.

Give it some time after storms because it can get quite soupy.. also ask about specific trails. Due to the clay and dirt what was once easy can get very hard spots dropping into creeks or off ledges from erosion/use. But yes, there is a big variety and some cool stuff to see.. a nice waterfall to swim in, etc.

02/18, so yeah it was built very early in 2018.

I had been tracking CarMax, Carvana, CarGurus, Cars.com, Edmunds, and CarFax listings for several months to get an idea of what everything was going for, and that's when I noticed the general drop in 2016+ LC prices the last 6 weeks or so. I got this one for $60k, with 52,000 miles. Most 2018 models have fewer miles, but those ones also cost quite a bit more. This hit the sweet spot for me, especially since I basically got the dark tint, TRD wheels, and brand new Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT tires for free since they were already on it. I've also noticed that LC prices can be drastically different in different states, even just one or two states over. In Texas they seem to stay slightly higher priced (probably because of very little rust) and sell quickly, especially in the larger cities.

There's actually no other corrosion anywhere else on the undercarriage, just on the KDSS valve body!

Exactly.

did it come with a lift? Or is that factory height? Looks fantastic! I’m hoping to add same wheels when it comes to getting new tires.
Ive got 2019 blizzard with terra int.

did it come with a lift? Or is that factory height? Looks fantastic! I’m hoping to add same wheels when it comes to getting new tires.
Ive got 2019 blizzard with terra int.

It's factory height. I also wondered if it had a small lift when I saw it in person the first time, but nope. I guess the small increase in tire radius really makes a big visual difference. But then again, I seem to always have that "wow, that's high" reaction when I see a cruiser in person, they just look even more lifted in person than they do in pictures for some reason.

Mentioned elsewhere that I was planning to buy a 2016+ LC next year, but was tempted to move that up with the dropping prices right now. Picked up a 2018 this week, super happy with it 😎

I had been making a mental checklist of the first things I would do whenever I found the right LC. First up were going to be window tint, TRD rims, bumping up slightly to 285/65R18 tires, and slee formed sliders. Well, the 2018 LC I ended up getting just fell out the sky this past week at a dealer just a few miles from me, with the first three items on my to-list already done!

I'm aware of the radiator issues with these, and can confirm that 2018 still has the weak style of radiator (no crack developing in this one yet, though).

I'm glad to be a full LC-owning member now instead of just a poser 😆

View attachment 2308375

View attachment 2308376
That's a really good looking truck! We're seeing the same similar pricing on the East Coast. Looking at 2016's for $50ish, 2018/2019s in the low $60s or just going all in and getting a 2020 Heritage. One thing holding me back on the Heritage is having to upgrade the tires and add some sliders. Assuming your LC doesn't have a lift on it and no rubbing with those upgraded wheels and tires?

Assuming your LC doesn't have a lift on it and no rubbing with those upgraded wheels and tires?

No lift, and no rubbing that I have been able to tell yet. Other people in other threads have also recommended 285/65-18 as the max no-rubbing size for the stock suspension.

No lift, and no rubbing that I have been able to tell yet. Other people in other threads have also recommended 285/65-18 as the max no-rubbing size for the stock suspension.
good to hear! I made that mistake on my last JK Wrangler and ended up dumping $6k into a lift and suspension upgrades that were botched and basically ruined the vehicle. So I have a little PTSD on upsizing tires and to lift or not!

good to hear! I made that mistake on my last JK Wrangler and ended up dumping $6k into a lift and suspension upgrades that were botched and basically ruined the vehicle. So I have a little PTSD on upsizing tires and to lift or not!

+1 here on this aspect. not a big fan of changing stock suspension. good that slightly upsized tires will fit without suspension mods. Some thread on here has mention of an OEM toyota spring spacer for the front springs that can be installed if you need a tad bit more clearance for more side-wall (i believe its for 275/65 + tire sizes). suspension experts can chime in. Just a thought!!

you planning a lift?? or keeping it stock height for now??

I think I will eventually do a 2" lift, but I don't really feel the need for it yet. I'm planning to own this LC for basically forever. My plan is to just add items at the point when I realize that they would be super helpful for the types of driving I'm doing with it. I will probably replace the running boards with slee sliders first, but not sure when I'll do that.

285/65/18 generally fits with zero rubbing on the stock offset. If you run hub spacers you may start contacting at the mud flap behind the tires.

There is a 10mm spacer from toyota that results in about 17mm of lift in the front and can help correct the factory front/rear rake for very little money. It bolts in above the spring/strut and is designed for the truck so there are no clearance or suspension travel issues. Bump stops work great still. Does need an alignment afterward though. For your 16+ with the LED headlights and more advanced crash avoidance you’d want to get your yaw sensor calibrated afterward.

285/65/18 generally fits with zero rubbing on the stock offset. If you run hub spacers you may start contacting at the mud flap behind the tires.

There is a 10mm spacer from toyota that results in about 17mm of lift in the front and can help correct the factory front/rear rake for very little money. It bolts in above the spring/strut and is designed for the truck so there are no clearance or suspension travel issues. Bump stops work great still. Does need an alignment afterward though. For your 16+ with the LED headlights and more advanced crash avoidance you’d want to get your yaw sensor calibrated afterward.

good info , thanks!!

Just thought of something.. does your AC recirculate door work? Many of these have been broken by hamfisted dealer techs.. if it isn’t broken, it is a good idea to lock your glove compartment and keep the key blade on you any time you bring it in for service.

How does one visually tell if it's the new design?

The radiator PSA thread (2008-2010 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement) has a large discussion on this and various photos comparing the old vs new. This is what the new design looks like, the front edge is not the harsh 90-degree angle in my previous picture. Instead, the raised label surface sort of curves into the rest of the plastic body:

View attachment 2304059
Back from the shop.

Coolant is just above “L” in the reservoir, though. Should I (pick up some and) add more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom