Finally a Tacoma owner - 2004 Supercharged DCab (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Threads
I've lusted after the 4door first gen Tacomas since they were released. Well.... I finally got one. Only took 15 years.

It's a supercharged 2004 with a "Rebuilt" title and 203k miles.

It's got a bunch of older mods. from about 10 years ago, but doesn't appear to have been wheeled. One little spot of frame rust above the DS front leaf spring hanger. I put a camera in the frame to confirm - it's clean.

The front Icon coilovers are TRASH! I don't think the shock is doing ANYTHING. I swear the front end bounced off the ground once or twice on the way back from buying it. Also feels like it needs bushings/bearings/balljoints etc. in the front end. I haven't checked it out yet, but it was pretty squirelly on the road.

The interior is super clean with a nice stereo.

The tires are fine - I'm not a fan of these nittos, but they don't need to be replaced. Wheels are brand new SCS f5s in stealth blue. I can't decide if I like them.

The thing ran GREAT. Accelerating up the mountain at 70 mph without downshifting! I traded a gx470 for it and I swear this supercharged 3.4 feels peppier than the v8.

Pictures to follow.

Anyone know what this is? It came in a box of parts.
A295FC38-C4FF-4E1D-A659-24C3BE7AE5DF.jpeg

The URD is a 7th injector for the supercharger. The supercharged 3.4 has been known to knock without additional fuel tuning.

So here’s a question - this Tacoma has Icon Coilovers that are in desperate need of a rebuild. All the oil is on my garage floor. I don’t really want or need a performance coilover that I have to rebuild every 20k-50k miles. I’d prefer to swap in some OME struts and forget about it. Would there be any issue running the Icon spring on an OME shock? And does anyone know what sort of lift I will net with that combo? I’m ok with anywhere from 2-3”.

Here are a couple updated pictures.

-Traded out that terrible grill for a stock one.
-Swapped the trashed Icons out for some 5100s with GX470 coils.
- bolted on some 2019 4Runner takeoff wheels/tires.
-Replaced front sway bar bushings.
- Replaced shifter bushings.
-Patched a small rust hole in the frame.

The frame rust was weird. About 8” on the DS only above the spring hanger is rusty. I stuck a camera in the frame to confirm. Everything else is spotless

This is probably where she will stay for a while. Obviously I’d love to remove the flares, slap on some 35” MTs and cut the front fenders, but I’m trying really REALLY hard not to cut this truck. I love cutting.

I think my mileage was better with the 33s.

1C3B959E-DDF2-49FA-B1F9-11AE469B792E.jpeg
1CC3CF20-40DC-4115-8AAF-28F24F189135.jpeg

Did the wheels fit with no spacers? What size tires? Might do the same with my 2000. TIA

Did the wheels fit with no spacers? What size tires? Might do the same with my 2000. TIA
Yep, they fit no problem. Tires are stock 265s off a 2019 4Runner. I don’t think you could run a taller tire without spacers. You’d get into the UCA.

What are you gonna do with the SCS wheels??

This is my winter setup with 285/65r17 on those wheels. No issue on the upper control arm, no spacers.

DFCDCAA2-219C-441A-92FB-FD7064A06FF0.jpeg

What are you gonna do with the SCS wheels??

Woops. I guess I need to follow this thread. I put the SCS wheels on my 4Runner, but I don’t want them on there permanently. Not sure what I’ll do with them. I’m thinking they will go back on the Tacoma one of these days.

These measure out to 31.6x11.2. A bit taller than the 265s and wider. I also ran 285/70r17 on the sr5 wheels with no spacer and no uca issues.

I’ve been chasing some looseness in the front end. It’s a clunk mixed with a light shimmy when I hit the right kind of bumps.

I’ve replaced a tie rod end and an upper ball joint. Lower ball joints look newish and feel good. Rack bushings look to have been replaced and they’re tight too. Front end FEELS tight everywhere when I’m on the shop floor pushing, pulling, and prying, but something is definitely not right.

I retorqued the lower control arms. The steering shaft has been rack welded and I added a shim to the ball for the tilt wheel. There is almost zero dead spot in the steering when wiggling back and forth on flat ground.

Only thing I can figure is I can get a little bit of
movement when I jam a big prybar in between the LCAs and their mounts. Could this be causing the unsettling looseness?

Those bushings could be split and it can be hard to see with how tight the are in there, It really depends on how much movement you are seeing to say if it is in "spec" or not. Are you sure it is front end that is loose and not something more rearward?

I helped a friend with suspension and we put in newer upper control arms and I didnt' feel anything loose anywhere. And on jacks I as trying to move things around. However a few weeks later he unbolted he lower balljoint which in this case just fell apart. So sometimes it is hard to feel the slop when everything is together still.

Nice Tacoma! I sold one a few years ago and missed it, so just bought another one. If you decide to remove your fender flares I would love to buy them.

Sorry I am no help with your front end issue. I have never experienced what you are. Couldn't hurt to replace the control arm bushings though.

Last edited:
Nice Tacoma! I sold o e a few yeats ago and missed it, so just bought anotger one. If you decide to remove your fender flares I would love to buy them.

Sorry I am no help with your front end issue. I have never experienced what you are. Couldn't hurt to replace the control arm bushings though.

That is a very real possibility, actually. I need to get some wheels and tires on it that aren’t so wide, then I will consider it.

What tire size are you looking to get?

Honestly, I will probably drop down to 285s or 265s on fzj80 wheels and remove the body lift. I’d really like to run 35s, but I don’t want to regear right now and this is currently my newest vehicle so it has to be reliable/comfortable for long drives. Realistically, I have two other trucks to wheel so 35s have to take a backseat to practicality this time.

I’m back on the SCS F5 wheels with ratty old Nitto terra grapplers that howl like MTs at highway speeds. I did score a good deal on an Allpro (I think) bumper. Now I just need to yank the body lift.
5DB6F5B8-92E1-4B8E-BD85-B3D5E0A39C3E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom