Finally, a part of the club. Newly Purchased 1978 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UPDATE #2

Had a slight knock in passenger wiper linkage. Upon inspection I needed to replace it, @Racer65 to the rescue. Oh, and since I had to take my windshield down and take the dash out I replaced my cracked dash, again @Racer65 to the rescue. @Racer65 also shipped me a new dash, because the first one had cracks in the foam corner, thanks buddy! Starter in vehicle has gone bad, installing a new gear reduction starter later this week.

FJ40 Newberg, Oregon. Noticed this guy Steve in Newberg, Oregon is selling another 1978 FJ40 on ebay and listed on Craigslist as of Dec 12, 2017. Looks pretty nice, and not sure where he finds these vehicles. Certainly nothing wrong with flipping some FJ40's as a hobby and a great one at that. But, when I inquired why he was selling he stated "his wife didn't like the ride". Why he just couldn't have stated it was his hobby I don't know, but as a buyer I feel like he wasn't truthful and certainly wasn't offering up any information that I didn't ask about. He was very friendly, and seemed very knowledgeable about it.

After driving it home a couple days later I noticed a lot of oil leaking under the car. The rear main obviously has been leaking for quite a while. Yes, as a buying I should have checked under the car. I did glance for fluids, but didn't get underneath. I had my wife and kids with me, it looked great and I took his word as he seemed very particular about maintenance, my mistake. But, I couldn't imagine selling something without notifying new owner of any potential problems. There is no way he didn't know about the rear main leaking, but didn't say anything to me about it as a courtesy.

Next, I checked the stock air cleaner and it was black and full of grit. It was just mounted in place, not operational. The Webber carb underneath had its own air cleaner, but it was then that I thought the "Meticulously Maintained" stated in the for sale ad was quite a stretch in my mind. Its unfortunate, and any potential buyer should really take time to inspect the vehicle thoroughly.

Enough ranting, here's a couple of photos. This fire was started with a flint and steel in heavy rain / wind. Those top logs are about 100lbs each and took about 4hrs to get to this point.
20171126_151116.jpg

Colt MK18 Surefire suppressor set up to use with Night Vision. Fun hobby.
20170728_185713.jpg

20140613_235331_zps469fee4f.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom