Finally: A coolant flush, new hoses, and PHH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I shouldn't have procrastinated on this, but I did. Now, having done it, I know why I did. Changing out that PHH was the worst job I've done on the LC to date. :) All those hoses up next to the firewall were challenging, but now it's done and hopefully will never have to do it again.

I did the flush according to the instructions in the FAQ. The 3 year old coolant that was in there was actually really clean. Slightly discolored, but no rust. Flushed with garden hose, distilled water, then added green coolant. I used Breeze Constant Torque hose clamps for the PHH, and Breeze sleeved hose clamps for everything else. For the PHH and all the 5/8 hoses I used silicone Venair Technosil SAE J20R3 from Voracious Motorsports for $2.97/ft. I got 3 ft and had a foot left over. I didn't realize there are two hoses with 1/2" ID, so I just got red heater hose at Napa. I intend to replace that with the same blue silicone when I swap out the water pump. Lastly, bought three OEM radiator hoses and stainless clamps. I cleaned all the ends of the hard lines and lubed them and the hoses up with silicone grease before slipping the hoses on. Worked pretty well.

0616141255.jpg

0616141258.jpg

0616141249.jpg

0616141252.jpg

0616141251a.jpg

Looks like a really nice job to me. Congrats...

Just curious why you used green coolant...cruisers are supposed to bleed red?

i used green for a couple reasons. first, that's what was in it before and the coolant itself was in darn near immaculate condition. second, i thought i read on here to stay with one or the other.

Keep an eye on the water valve. I just did the same thing with mine and my water valve started to leak. After a few mins the input nipple (right side of valve) broke off and the engine got a nice coat of hot coolant straight from the block. An unofficial fa review of the broken nipple shaft showed pitting and severe deterioration from within. Mine has 135k on the odo. It is possible that the final straw was an over tightening of the constant torque clamp that I put onto that shaft. Sorry, no pics. Part # 8724060170. I got mine from Murf at Camelback Toyota in Phoenix for about $60. This part gets very hot and it's plastic. After 17 years it failed. My PHH was in decent shape though and could have went another 50k.

i used green for a couple reasons. first, that's what was in it before and the coolant itself was in darn near immaculate condition. second, i thought i read on here to stay with one or the other.
I went w/green Prestone Extended Life when I flushed mine. After much research I concluded it'll be fine. It's what was already in mine, it's cheaper & it's easier to find if I ever need it while I'm on the road. I expect to have zero issues by using it.

Keep an eye on the water valve. I just did the same thing with mine and my water valve started to leak. After a few mins the input nipple (right side of valve) broke off and the engine got a nice coat of hot coolant straight from the block. An unofficial fa review of the broken nipple shaft showed pitting and severe deterioration from within. Mine has 135k on the odo. It is possible that the final straw was an over tightening of the constant torque clamp that I put onto that shaft. Sorry, no pics. Part # 8724060170. I got mine from Murf at Camelback Toyota in Phoenix for about $60. This part gets very hot and it's plastic. After 17 years it failed. My PHH was in decent shape though and could have went another 50k.

Holy crap that sounds awful. Thanks for the heads up! I've got 186K on a 96. i'll keep an eye on it for sure

I went w/green Prestone Extended Life when I flushed mine. After much research I concluded it'll be fine. It's what was already in mine, it's cheaper & it's easier to find if I ever need it while I'm on the road. I expect to have zero issues by using it.

That's exactly what i used. cheap and readily available is key.

Just curious why you used green coolant...cruisers are supposed to bleed red?

Eh, you could go either with. Just pick one and stick with it. It's been debated ad naseum. For me, I went red only because when it leaks it leaves a tell tail pink mist trail.

Eh, you could go either with. Just pick one and stick with it. It's been debated ad naseum. For me, I went red only because when it leaks it leaves a tell tail pink mist trail.
Beno will haunt you for this :skull:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom