Finally a 100 Series Owner! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, new to the forum- excited to be here! This is just my ramblings about the 100 series I just purchased- if it needs to be an another forum, mods please move.

I've been wanting a 100 series for a few years. Covid caused me to have some career uncertainty and put off vehicle purchasing until 2022 to be on the safe side.

I had one of those heart vs head debates with myself over the past several months. It would be pretty practical to get the 2016 tundra, the 2017 GX460, or even the 2013 LX570. More practical than the 100 series at least IMO. I drove the tundra and the gx and thought they were nice but I wasn't excited about them. I'm in the camp that thinks the 200 series looks like a big highlander, and I didn't want to drop the $$ for (no offense to anyone) mom car styling. I drove a 100 series last year that left me smiling ear to ear. It was modern enough to have some of the safety stuff I wanted, but still old enough to not see 10 of them on the road every time I drive and be somewhat uncommon in my area.

I'm happy to say the heart won out and I spent a good amount less than what I initially budgeted. A side effect to buying under budget is that when the pre-purchase inspection alerted me to the heavily worn tires, I said great! Sounds like a good excuse to get some all-terrains ordered. And while I'm at it... I don't exactly love chrome, so why not throw some icon six speed wheels in titanium as well? I'm waiting until Black Friday to order tires to see if I can get a deal at discount tire.

thumbnail.jpeg

This isn't the best pic I know- I'll update with some more pics soon. But, I picked this thing up from Yota Ranch in Manchaca, TX (a few minutes south of Austin). The owner, Alex, was a Toyota mechanic for 25 years and now sells Toyota trucks and SUV's from the 90's to early 2000's. Seems like a great guy- I wouldn't be surprised if he's here on the forum. I was pleased with the buying experience and we were able to negotiate some of the deferred maintenance into the deal that the previous owner had neglected. I would recommend working with Yota Ranch if you are in the Central Texas area or don't mind traveling to the area.

Specifics on the car are:
-Mileage- 216,XXX
-AHC replaced with LC suspension
-Tires are going to be 285/70/17 wild peaks...
-Timing Belt, water pump, windshield wiper motor, door lock tumbler, all being replaced next week. I need to ask them to do the heater T's as well after reading the forum.

I'm hoping to daily this thing although I will keep my 08 GS350 for a while just in case the LX needs some more maintenance items baselined. I only drive 8-9k miles a year so I don't need a Prius to get around... thankfully (jk).

Other "improvements" I'm considering:
-Grom Vline
-Roof rack
-Replacing the broken antenna with a stubby size
-adding all of the rubberized floor/cargo area mats

Basically just making it a more comfortable and useable daily- nothing too crazy, but a little cool/fun stuff too. I am hoping to avoid doing things like rebuilding amps/speakers, brake boosters, etc. which is why I'm thrilled to have found a "newer" 100 series in terms of years. We'll see how hard the second owner was on it after a few months I'd assume.

I would like to update this thread from time to time with what's going on with the truck. Like when wheels and tires get mounted post a pic, or when it has some annoying/expensive repair that I want to document.

One thing a few friends and I joke about is, "what would a cool guy do?" The smart, practical guy would've bought a 3 year old f150 with the ability to haul, modern conveniences, cheap insurance, 24mpg... but what would a cool guy do? IMO he'd say screw all that- I want what I want and he'd get the 100 series! So here we are. Not claiming to be a cool guy, but I feel like this truck is putting me on the right track!

Good for you on purchase...I too, just bought a vehicle from Alex at YOTA, a 2002 silver LC with only 79k miles. I'd hadn't heard of him or dealership but all checked out and the LC was indeed a one-owner that was taken care of; it was easy to do pre=purchase as I live in Austin. I've got similar plans - little updates/upgrades over time.

Welcome to the 100 series madness. It sounds like you have a great vehicle and know what to expect. I agree with you, as an owner of both, that a 100 is way more fun to drive than a 200.

Congratulations! I can only imagine your excitement, I've had a desire for about 3 years and I'm finally in a position to make a move also. I am hoping to write a similar post in a week or 2, fingers crossed :)

Good for you on purchase...I too, just bought a vehicle from Alex at YOTA, a 2002 silver LC with only 79k miles. I'd hadn't heard of him or dealership but all checked out and the LC was indeed a one-owner that was taken care of; it was easy to do pre=purchase as I live in Austin. I've got similar plans - little updates/upgrades over time.
That sounds like a sweet ride- enjoy!

Welcome to the 100 series madness. It sounds like you have a great vehicle and know what to expect. I agree with you, as an owner of both, that a 100 is way more fun to drive than a 200.
That's what I like to hear and it's what I was after!

Congratulations! I can only imagine your excitement, I've had a desire for about 3 years and I'm finally in a position to make a move also. I am hoping to write a similar post in a week or 2, fingers crossed :)
Thank you. I kept telling my fiancé it's not practical enough- she was like, who cares??! So I finally listened and I'm glad I did. Congrats to you- good time to be buying IMO

Thank you. I kept telling my fiancé it's not practical enough- she was like, who cares??! So I finally listened and I'm glad I did. Congrats to you- good time to be buying IMO
Well she definitely sounds like a keeper!
I'm lucky enough to have my wife put up with my car obsessions, after 19 years she just rolls her eyes and smiles 😁

Congratulations, sounds like you have a good plan moving forward!

Shoot me any specific questions you have about the VLine to me. I installed in my truck this past spring, so I can give you the 9 month review as well as install advice.

Picked the 100 up today from the shop! Timing belt done, windshield wiper motor repaired, heater T's checked and were all good.

I was hoping to pick it up at 2:30p and go straight to discount tire to have new wheels and tires mounted, but discount only had 3 of the Falken Wildpeaks (285/70r17), so I'm waiting until Monday to get them on the truck. Can't wait.

One issue I'm beginning to research is WIND NOISE off of the front windshield. I'd driven another 100 prior to this one and it was tomb quiet. I didn't notice the wind noise on the test drive of this one, but on the way home it was whistling a fair amount. It made me question my sanity- like, it is a big brick moving down the road... did the other 100 I drove whistle as well? I don't think it did.

Reading the forums, I think it's quite possible that the windshield may have been replaced at some point and that is potentially part of the issue. One thing I would like feedback on though is what is going on with this weather stripping/drip molding? I don't think that gap is supposed to be there and I think resolving the gap might be the first step in fixing the wind noise. Any feedback or links on the forum on if this could be my issue? Could fixing the gap fix the wind noise somehow? And most importantly, If I added a ROOF RACK... would that somehow solve my drip molding issue and help me justify it to the Mrs' ??? :D

Thank you,

Will

IMG_9929.jpg

IMG_9930.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats and Welcome to the Hundy club. I'm always amazed at how many people compliment my 100 when I'm just running errands around town. You just don't see many around in nice condition here in New England.

Whistle is likely due to poor windshield installation (not uncommon) or door seals. I would take it back to Yota Ranch and drive another 100 for comparison.

The only 200 I like is the 2016+ LC. Every time I think about "upgrading", I think about my rig being worth about $10K and ask myself is spending $65k - $70k going to get me 6X more enjoyment than my Hundy? And the answer is always nope. Well, at least until I can buy a Silver HE for $70k. :D

Last edited:
Thank you @RND1. I will put the Windshield on my list of things to address. Nice 100 you have there- I'm not surprised it's getting complemented. Definitely unique compared to more modern SUV's.
-----------------

Further Car updates...

Nothing of much importance to write up. Just excited so I wanted to share some pics and general thoughts.

Thankfully with the 100 it is CLEAN underneath. Paint is probably like an 8/10 considering the age. Compared to something brand new it would probably be a 6.5- just some scuffs, rock chips, things like that. I'd say it's a "10 footer" and looks brand new until you're closer than 10 ft.

Interior is really clean minus the headliner in a few spots- nothing crazy just some scuffs. I think the front leathers have been replaced, dash is in good shape, etc. At low speeds, it's VERY quiet inside. Higher speeds... I need to get the windshield repaired I think like RND1 pointed out. I haven't noticed any indications of leaks thankfully, so for now I just want to get it fixed for pleasure driving more than a functionality issue.

The other interior feature I'm excited about is my new wife getting me a GROM VLINE on sale for Black Friday. This truck is going to be amazing with the CarPlay features (maps and music). I'm so glad I didn't get a newer vehicle to just have CarPlay. I watched some videos on installing and although I used to do the stereos in my old fords back in HS... I don't want to mess anything up on the dash of the 100 so I'll probably get it installed in a month or two by a pro after some of the other maintenance items get knocked out.
------------------------
I'm not driving the truck too much until I get the new tires (hopefully tomorrow)- I'm honestly surprised it passed the inspection with the tires at 2/32. It still drives so smooth even with old worn out tires. I'm hoping the new tires will be an upgrade and it will ride even better.

I did drive it last night to go out to eat, and on the way home it seemed like EVERY dash light came on... uh oh... well maybe it won't be that big of a deal. The tire light will be addressed with any new sensors needed at discount. Check engine came on, but from what Alex at Yota Ranch explained to me, it is a code related to the O2 sensor that he's going to replace for me when we are on honeymoon in about 6 weeks. The VSC light came on, which I believe from some brief reading may be an alignment issue- which I knew needed to be done prior to purchasing but wanted to wait for new wheels and tires before having it done.

Ok that's all for now... does the excitement come out in the typing?! I'm waking up early on Sunday morning to go take pics of the truck to share on a Internet forum... if that's not excitement, idk what is haha. Here are some pics... last day on chrome! Hopefully the Icon wheels in titanium will look good- I had the option of gunmetal as well, but it sounded like they were the same color with titanium being more "flat" while gunmetal was more gloss. If it doesn't look right... I guess I can sell them here on the forum at some point. Got them on sale for Black Friday $218 per wheel which seemed like a steal compared to discount tire's initial $315/ea.

tempImageUu0qe4.jpg
tempImageTFGjft.jpg

Anytime the CEL comes on, VSC lights also come on. Most likely related to the O2 sensor.

as an owner of both, that a 100 is way more fun to drive than a 200.
Really? I’ve heard only the opposite. I haven’t driven the 200 but I gotta try one.

Picked the 100 up today from the shop! Timing belt done, windshield wiper motor repaired, heater T's checked and were all good.

I was hoping to pick it up at 2:30p and go straight to discount tire to have new wheels and tires mounted, but discount only had 3 of the Falken Wildpeaks (285/70r17), so I'm waiting until Monday to get them on the truck. Can't wait.

One issue I'm beginning to research is WIND NOISE off of the front windshield. I'd driven another 100 prior to this one and it was tomb quiet. I didn't notice the wind noise on the test drive of this one, but on the way home it was whistling a fair amount. It made me question my sanity- like, it is a big brick moving down the road... did the other 100 I drove whistle as well? I don't think it did.

Reading the forums, I think it's quite possible that the windshield may have been replaced at some point and that is potentially part of the issue. One thing I would like feedback on though is what is going on with this weather stripping/drip molding? I don't think that gap is supposed to be there and I think resolving the gap might be the first step in fixing the wind noise. Any feedback or links on the forum on if this could be my issue? Could fixing the gap fix the wind noise somehow? And most importantly, If I added a ROOF RACK... would that somehow solve my drip molding issue and help me justify it to the Mrs' ??? :D

Thank you,

Will

View attachment 3184801

View attachment 3184802
Windshield wind noise is an issue with these unfortunately. Lots of threads on it. Installers never use rivets and wind gets in there. My windshield was installed so poorly by the PO, the side moulding was coming off. I got mine replaced by a pro who was highly recommended and was familiar with Toyota but there is still some wind noise during the colder months when the rubber parts shrink a little. No whistling, just the whooshing noises.

Really? I’ve heard only the opposite. I haven’t driven the 200 but I gotta try one.
Never driven a 200 myself, but my uncle who upgraded from a 100 to a Heritage Edition 200 sold it and bought a 100 again because he missed it so much. I’ve heard several of a few people that went from the 200 back to the 100.

Never driven a 200 myself, but my uncle who upgraded from a 100 to a Heritage Edition 200 sold it and bought a 100 again because he missed it so much. I’ve heard several of a few people that went from the 200 back to the 100.
I wonder if it’s because the 200 feels bigger or has too much tech.

Absolutely. The 200 is so smooth you feel disconnected from the road. It has a heck of a lot more power but the 8spd transmission will never pick a gear. The interior is way more comfortable (and American sized) yet I feel cramped in it. My wife much prefers the 200, thankfully, so that is her DD. It is a very nice vehicle, but IMHO, it is not nearly as much FUN to drive than the 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom