Final Step—-60 is going to paint! (1 Viewer)

Window tint is scratched up. What would you do

• Have them re-tinted

Votes: 42 71.2%
  • Remove the tint and go back to clear

Votes: 17 28.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here she is off to paint

And a pile of parts left behind

A0E71B95-3D2F-427E-928C-F03D0941A802.jpeg

EC9A7074-AB41-466B-8F59-730A1DE37A4B.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing the outcome.

Mine goes to paint at the end of Aug (2 years in the garage I am having fun with it first). I was just going to leave the windows in, but now after seeing yours and a few others I am absolutely pulling them out.

I dropped the windows off today to get retinted

I forgot to mention that it will be jamb painted. Doors, hatch, tailgate inner fenders and hood will be pulled and painted off the truck. Body painted, and then everything put back on

Would you mind sharing how you came to select your body shop? Looks like they were willing to work with you doing some of the prep. Ive been searching and have been shocked at the attitude I receive over the phone. One guy started berating/lecturing me about rust then threw out $10k and 7months. He hadn't even seen my rig and I didn't even ask for a quote over the phone. Obviously Im not going to use that shop.

Would you mind sharing how you came to select your body shop? Looks like they were willing to work with you doing some of the prep. Ive been searching and have been shocked at the attitude I receive over the phone. One guy started berating/lecturing me about rust then threw out $10k and 7months. He hadn't even seen my rig and I didn't even ask for a quote over the phone. Obviously Im not going to use that shop.

I went to the auto parts store that also sells paint. I’ve been buying some paint there. I told the guy what I wanted to do, and asked if he had any recommendations on who he would refer. I threw out some places I was thinking of going, and he steered me away from them. He gave me 3 guys that were good painters, small shop, and easy to work with. Then I went there and talked to them, and settled on one, and we made the arrangements.

I also removed everything, including every clip, plug and bolt, pulled all wires out of doors and rear hatch, and all underhood wiring out of his way. That will help him work much more efficiently, which he appreciates also. It’s not just about not getting paint on clips and bolts, but more about ease of prep/blocking/sandingtaping without little things in your way. I also had a pretty straight, rust free truck to start with, so that helps.

Nothing new to report this week. There was no paint on the hood, it was all faded off. Once it was sanded down to metal and primed and started to block, a few hail dents appeared. Not serious. Blocking and high build primer will take them out. Just time consuming

Not yet. I haven't been able to get over to the shop to check it out

Front inners painted to verify color is right. Body needs one coat of sealer, final block, and paint!

For cut and buff, he is going to just do 3000 grit, and not take all of the orange peal out of it to look more period correct.

C390444C-93D4-41EC-BA93-7E1C4552E680.jpeg

5E57AF32-35F1-4E9A-BA05-349B6B54E033.jpeg

3F7F367C-E5A8-4DA4-9378-964A41F2A2FE.jpeg

81D92191-BB62-49EB-A749-739B235C9CA7.jpeg

569E2FFC-5960-4957-8BD1-9EB6C23B0873.jpeg

Front inners painted to verify color is right. Body needs one coat of sealer, final block, and paint!

For cut and buff, he is going to just do 3000 grit, and not take all of the orange peal out of it to look more period correct.]

Just curious why your trying to make the paint period correct when your engine and interior isn’t. Since you’ve modified it with an aftermarket engine and interior, I’d go all out on a nice paint job.
Just my two cents but either way you’ve got a nice ride! I vote tint the windows.

Just curious why your trying to make the paint period correct when your engine and interior isn’t. Since you’ve modified it with an aftermarket engine and interior, I’d go all out on a nice paint job.
Just my two cents but either way you’ve got a nice ride! I vote tint the windows.

It will still be a nice paint job. By going this step first, we can see how we like it. If we want more shine, deeper paint, we can cut and buff further. Interesting enough, almost all new vehicles come standard with orange peel now. The fender wells have not been touched, and they look pretty decent right now.

Windows have been tinted.

How difficult was it getting the windows out?

Rear and back Windows come out pretty easy. Just start at a bottom corner on the inside, and use plastic wedges under the weatherstripping and work your way across and up. With about 4 or 5 wedges on the inside, the windows push out from the bottom starting at one corner. Push slow and take your time. They go back in with the rope method. For the windshield, I cut the rubber and ordered new OEM from Toyota

88AD4B9B-8E31-4222-84DF-5203DC019C9E.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I just picked up an '85 FJ60 and looking to get her painted as well. I'm also going to do most of the prep work myself. The body shop guy is allowing me to do most of the prep work like you. Not going to go in depth as you are (with the doors off) but I like the idea of getting tint done while being painted. I see that you got a new front windshield gasket Toyota (which I have to take off the windshield to address some rust at the bottom of the A pillar). I have a few more questions looking at what I'm taking on:
  1. Were you able to re-use the chrome trim that seals the windshield/rear window/and side windows? I'm thinking of using a rubber welt that Wagon Gear sells to seal the windows. Still thinking of blacking out most of the chrome but was curious if the original chrome was still usable once I pry it off. The one pic with all your parts on the table, one rear side chrome looks bent. Will you be able to reuse that?
  2. Did you get new window gaskets for the rear and rear sides too? The gaskets look good but not completely sure until I take them out.
Thanks for sharing the process. Can't wait to see yours painted. I'm sticking with OEM color too - Stardust Silver.

Thanks for the reply. I just picked up an '85 FJ60 and looking to get her painted as well. I'm also going to do most of the prep work myself. The body shop guy is allowing me to do most of the prep work like you. Not going to go in depth as you are (with the doors off) but I like the idea of getting tint done while being painted. I see that you got a new front windshield gasket Toyota (which I have to take off the windshield to address some rust at the bottom of the A pillar). I have a few more questions looking at what I'm taking on:
  1. Were you able to re-use the chrome trim that seals the windshield/rear window/and side windows? I'm thinking of using a rubber welt that Wagon Gear sells to seal the windows. Still thinking of blacking out most of the chrome but was curious if the original chrome was still usable once I pry it off. The one pic with all your parts on the table, one rear side chrome looks bent. Will you be able to reuse that?
  2. Did you get new window gaskets for the rear and rear sides too? The gaskets look good but not completely sure until I take them out.
Thanks for sharing the process. Can't wait to see yours painted. I'm sticking with OEM color too - Stardust Silver.

I just took my windows out for a repaint and the rear windows came out with the chrome lock trim still in place. I’m not sure if you can re-install the windows with the lock trim in place but I de-chromed my truck so Im not worried about saving the chrome.

I used new gaskets all around and used the black lock strip kit that Trail Tailor sells to fill the lock groove of the rear windows. I used the non-lock strip front windshield gasket that City Racer sells.

I did bend the chrome on one window because I wasn’t being careful. But I wasn’t really using that one as the window is all screwed up. I had another window.

I’m not sure if the lock strip stay in when reinstalled or not. That’s up to the glass guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom