Fin 80 fell of my jack stands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lt1fire

SILVER Star
Threads
:mad: Ok so I have the front of the 80 up on jack stands with the dust sheild, hub brakes off. Jacked it up last night. Parking break on tranny in park. had a brick I use for a wheel chalk behind it (vehicle was on a slight incline on my driveway) I go out to the rig this morning at 530am to get my jacked out of the back seat before I take off for work in the camaro and as i'm closing the door it starts to roll backwards, tips over the jack stands and crashes down onto the from axle. My brick/chalk was missing for some reason but even so it shouldn't have moved with the e-brake on and tranny in P. Jacked it back up and put it on jack stands again, put new brick behind it and went to work. Got back tonight inspected it. looks it hit on the stearing/tie rod arms and the bottom of the diff. No cracks or anything (thank god) and it all appears to be ok (toyo makes some robust stuff). Never thought I'd need under armor on the rig with it sitting in my drive way. Now I can look back and laugh :doh:

I actually do want to add some diff armor and this even made me think of it even more. who makes some for our 80's??

Be glad, my friend's Evo9 fell off the jackstands and put a hole through the floor and stuck the jackstand in the glove compartment. Less than 100 miles on it.

I kept wondering what a FIN 80 was. A Finnish 80? I think I've got it now though...

At least you weren't under it!

Tell us the truth. What brand and rating on those jack stands? Pics?

-B-

I had the front on ramps and rear on stands.
After replacing the tranny for the second time doing the rear main seal, I was in a hurry and thought I had every thing in place.
Started the motor, put it in gear to drive down the ramp, let off the brake and started to move backwords and BAM!!!!!!
As the rear was falling I thought, I forgot to remove the stands :crybaby:
I was lucky, I only killed the rear diff lock....Untill I found out how much a diff lock cost:crybaby: :crybaby: ....Downey makes a cable lock system for the rear.

I also HAD a pair of FREE stands that a guy didn't like so he gave them to me.
While under the FREE jacked standed 80 and working hard on something, I got out from under it to lower it and saw that the pin that holds the stand up was all but out of the holds. Every time I moved the 80 while working on it the pin would work its way out.

Last edited:
Now I can look back and laugh :doh:

You can???

I sure as hell wouldn't be able to in your situation:

1) "it shouldn't have moved with the e-brake on and tranny in P."

Damn straight it shouldn't have. You need to figure out ASAP why it did.

2) "My brick/chalk was missing for some reason"

WTF?? Someone stole it? Or...?

I'm honestly sorry if I sound like I'm over-reacting or ragging on you, but given the way I try (I admittedly don't always succeed) to conduct my life, what happened to you was a MAJOR screw-up and should NEVER be allowed to happen. There's really no difference between what did happen and what could have happened; i.e., you being dead under your truck. It was just a matter of luck, and true safety has NOTHING to do with luck.

I'm glad you're ok.

Curtis

You can???

I sure as hell wouldn't be able to in your situation:

2) "My brick/chalk was missing for some reason"

WTF?? Someone stole it? Or...?

I'm honestly sorry if I sound like I'm over-reacting or ragging on you, but given the way I try (I admittedly don't always succeed) to conduct my life, what happened to you was a MAJOR screw-up and should NEVER be allowed to happen. There's really no difference between what did happen and what could have happened; i.e., you being dead under your truck. It was just a matter of luck, and true safety has NOTHING to do with luck.

I'm glad you're ok.

Curtis

yeah someone stole the wheel chalk i guess. as far as it moving i haven't been able to figure out why that happened yet. Haven't really had that much time to look at it, just checked for damage. I'm thinking one of the jacks might have broken or something... i'll let everyone know when I take a closer look at it. as far as being able to laugh about it ... that's the beauty of not being under it... i'm able to laugh about it..... weird thing is I had it on the stands for the 2 weeks prior when I was doing my birf rebuild... most of the time without a wheel chalk and I climbed all over that thing and it never moved at all.... its weird and if I had more time i'd look into it but with me going to the toyota grand prix of long beach tomorrow and having midterms and 50+ hours of work lately working on the 80 has become a hard thing to find time for

A '92 has a center diff right? If the center diff isn't locked when you turn off the engine, doesn't that mean if you jack up one end of the vehicle even though you have the auto in Park that the vehicle could still move due to the 'differential' action of the center diff?

I assume the e-brake is the typical 1/2 useless thing it is on most 80's and is there just for DOT rather than actually being able to stop the vehicle - unless correctly adjusted...

just thinking aloud here...

cheers,
george.

A '92 has a center diff right? If the center diff isn't locked when you turn off the engine, doesn't that mean if you jack up one end of the vehicle even though you have the auto in Park that the vehicle could still move due to the 'differential' action of the center diff?

I assume the e-brake is the typical 1/2 useless thing it is on most 80's and is there just for DOT rather than actually being able to stop the vehicle - unless correctly adjusted...

just thinking aloud here...

cheers,
george.

yeah it's what i was thinking that there might have been a little play in the center diff... just enough for my added weight leading in on the rear to get my jacket caused it to move

Tell us the truth. What brand and rating on those jack stands? Pics?

-B-

yeah someone told me using a huge stack of cards was a bad idea :D

and people say I'm anal cuz I use 12 tons stands.... :)

Something tells me that there are a lot of people here that have gotten lucky that this hasn't happened and killed someone.

If the CDL isn't locked and the front or rear are off the ground, putting it in Park means nothing. Never trust a parking brake.

We should always chock the front and rear of both tires on the ground and avoid leaving a vehicle, 'in the air.' Even still, it can be -dangerous-.

Chocks and proper jack stand placement is something that is lacking in the write ups for birf/axle servicing or should be emphasized more.

You got very lucky in that you weren't under the truck. Someone locally had a vehicle fall on them a few weeks back. The body was found a day later.

It is also good practice to shove a tyre underneath each lifted frame rail "just in case."

There have been a few recent posts where a guy would make light of the suggestion of HD (e.g. 6 or 12 ton) commercial quality jack stands as another example of anal retentive over-the-top 80-Series owners. Safety is too important to save $20 on a set of crappy jack stands or a crappy floor jack. If you are not sure of your e-brake then properly chock (not chalk) a wheel.

this is a scary and good read as i am going to be under my truck all day on saturday. thanks for the reminder about how anal and safe in need to be.

For me it's not about the weight capacity but more about the foot print verses height.

We are installing a 4" lift in Peepers truck and from working on my truck I know that a larger stand is needed to support the truck properly at those taller heights.

I ended up with these and feel they will do a good job holding the truck up while we install the springs and things.

For me it's not about the weight capacity but more about the foot print verses height.

We are installing a 4" lift in Peepers truck and from working on my truck I know that a larger stand is needed to support the truck properly at those taller heights.

I ended up with these and feel they will do a good job holding the truck up while we install the springs and things.

those are the ones I have, I like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom