Fin 80 fell of my jack stands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If someone is stupid/degenerate enough to "steal" the chocks, who is to day they didn't also push it over?

If someone is stupid/degenerate enough to "steal" the chocks, who is to day they didn't also push it over?

Good point except he said it fell off the jack stands when he reached in to get his jacket out of the back seat.
-B-

Good point except he said it fell off the jack stands when he reached in to get his jacket out of the back seat.
-B-

:doh:

I forgot about that.

If the CDL isn't locked and the front or rear are off the ground, putting it in Park means nothing.

I'd never bothered to think it through before, but I believe technically it could roll with just one wheel off the ground, no??

In park, no parking brake, no wheel chocks: Truck starts to roll backwards off the jack(stand). The raised wheel simply rotates in a foward direction twice (or more?) as fast as the other wheels are rotating backwards. :eek:

Is this right??

Curtis

For me it's not about the weight capacity but more about the foot print verses height.

Exactly. It was a little bit of a loaded question, as weight capacity has nothing to do with this particular issue. The 6 ton stands have a significantly bigger footprint and that can make all the difference when a lateral load is applied, particularly if the stands are near fully extented.

:beer:
Rookie2

my 12 tons (HF) have a base that's about 12"x12"
my 3 tons (Sears) are about 9"x6.5"

believe me, when you see them, the difference looks huge.

Plus with the rectangular base you have to hope they can be oriented in the "long" way

They were 3 tons.... looks like it is time to upgrade to some bigger ones. Any places to just go and buy them sears, wally world, auto zone, napa etc.....

Glad you are ok.
I lost my little brother 9 years ago because he didnt have is jack stands in place. I have 3 ton stands from sears and some old 6 ton stands and then the cheesy checker 3 ton stands that only get useed to hold an exle in place. FWIW, My wheel chocks live on top of my jack, that way every time I go to put the jack under the truck I put the chocks in place.
Dave

Good points, a few more;

locking the CDL before lifting makes the park pawl active with one axle lifted. I never rely on it, much safer to chock.

Jacking, working under the truck should be done on level solid ground preferably concrete. Uneven, sloping, softer ground always adds to the risk.

Bigger stands are better, but can get in the way, I prefer 6 tons for the 80.

Jack the truck, set the stands, then grab the bumper and violently shake/push the truck, before getting under it. If you can push it off the stands, think what would have happened when you pulled on that wrench, pry bar, etc? This is one of the first things we thought new techs, put the truck on the lift, rise 1' shake and try to push it off, if good continue up to working height.

They were 3 tons.... looks like it is time to upgrade to some bigger ones. Any places to just go and buy them sears, wally world, auto zone, napa etc.....

Im using the Pep Boys 12 T special.
They work just fine and are reasonably priced.

ken

Something tells me that there are a lot of people here that have gotten lucky that this hasn't happened and killed someone.

Chocks and proper jack stand placement is something that is lacking in the write ups for birf/axle servicing or should be emphasized more.

Indeed. I have so far been lucky, and I need to learn this once and for all.

I have 4 jack stands and I use them as carefully as I can.

Could someone write a definitive guide to getting my 80 onto them, using the stock jack to lift?

Unfortunately I need to do one corner at a time, and where I place my regular jack competes with place to put my jack stand.

Wish I had a floor jack... (you place that one under the diff, right?)

The problem with lifting a cruiser is the diffs are offset. If you lift it by the diff you still leave the tire on the other side (Left) on the ground. You end up lifting each side of the axle individually. for regular maintenance a factory jack is a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom