Filter, Battery, and ! lights....why wont they go out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
OK....(dash warning lights) Revisited

Ok...I have a 1986 Hj-60 and am getting 3 warning lights. Fliter, battery and the ! lights. At first they would sometime go out. now are steadily on (with key of course) After a couple mudders suggested I rebuild my Alt...that done (shop) they still are on??????????

Ideas ??

Some time ago I posted a question (my battery, filter and (!) lights were comming on intermitently (1986 HJ-60) and as of late they are on all the time.
ANSWER was...bad or dying Alt..........well I just got back from rebuild and lights still stay on????????

Any other ideas?

you will have to look in the FSM wiring diagram and see if they have a common ground. There must be a short to ground causing them to come on.

I merged the two threads.......why start a new one?

look around the wiring and see if anything is chaffed thru to bare wires, or pinched in a panel etc...

Check the charge relay, most likely located behind the passangers kick panel. Open it, check the soldiers inside. If the look bad (looks like the old soldier has melted from the wires), re soldier them and plug it back in.

Sometimes a bad soldier inside the relay can make the lights you talk about light up or flash.

Also check the fuseable link at the battery for the alternator. Is the altnator charging the battery?

regards,

Also check the fuseable link at the battery for the alternator. Is the altnator charging the battery?

regards,

Yes all running well, showing (24v idle and about 27v when at speed) at dash gauge

I has the same problem on my 88 BJ74. THe lights would not go out and the batteries kept dying. In the end, I couldn't even jump start.

I took to Western Alternator and it turned out the alt was fried. AND, the batteries needed to be replaced (one was very bad).

All is fine now.

Bruce in Tsawwassen

mine flash sometimes at low idle. the're fine with a little fuel. let me know what it turns out to be. it sounds like im heading down the same road some time soon.

JohnnyBoy : change your regulator.

I've seen this occasionally on my HJ. It usually happens when no accessories are running. If I turn on the fan the lights immediately stop flashing, for example. That makes me think the alternator needs to be 'loaded' with current, but I'm sure it's a symptom of an underlying problem like a faulty regulator that I'll need to address properly soon.

Good post -- let us know how it turns out.

The best way to know the alt issues is in a bank with load .. on the alt .. but could check also your bat is posible you have a diying bat.

There may also be a relay that controls these warning lights. I've seen alternators replaced without actually fixing the problem. On an 87 bj70 the relay was behind the glovebox. Not sure where it is on yours, but i resoldered part of the relay connection and it fixed the problem. The lights do stay on at startup but as soon as you rev the engine they all turn out.

Change the brushes on your alternator before rebuilding the thing...start cheap and work up, as Wayne always says.

Altinator HAS been rebuilt...bad brushes and dead diod....problem still there:mad:

I had the same problem on my ex-BJ60 and my BJ70.

On my ex-BJ60, I send my alternator to a rebuilt shop. They rebuilt it... but the problem still there (flashing light).... then I sold the truck.

Then, after, I found the same problem on my BJ70 (12V). I fix the problem on my BJ70 by changing the alternator regulator. But I first bring the (old) regulator to the same alternator shop. They test the regulator and the result tell us the regulator was OK.... on a single test. Not in a "real life" situation... when driving.

It's not alway easy to find a "ON and OFF" problem (intermitant).

They tell me they don't change the regulator when the test show no problem... because the OEM regulator was better than the other. All this on a base of ONE TEST with the regulator on the table.

So, IMO, CHANGE THE REGULATOR FIRST... forget the charge lamp relay. (I try it to) (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1152270&postcount=27)

in2cruiser : they rebuilt your alternator... but did they change the regulator ? If no... do it so. (the link is for a 12V... try to find a Transpo 24V regulator)

(Hope it's clear ! remember, it's french in my head ;) )

Last edited:
I've driven my truck for two years with the light going on and off. No rhyme or reason. I haven't done the regulator...brushes are fine. I had to replace a battery last year(It was 13 months old). I don't think that it will kill the truck and I have yet to see any really adverse issues other than the annoyance factor. It's always fun to have new people in the truck and when the lights come on you say "uhh ohh";) . I will be sure to follow this thread though as I would like to know why it happens.

Regards

sa

OK...pulling hair out, and dont have much to spare..

Chased down the kick plate relays..
Drivers side...Dimmer relay 12v ????, charging and glow plug relay.
Passengers side...fuel relay.

unplugged the charging relay and that and only that light went out..?

man this is driving me crazy...what else could this be?

man this is driving me crazy...what else could this be?

Tell me you already check AND change your regulator. If no, do it ! If no... I can't help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom