[Figured out] Where did this broken bolt come from? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FerrisBueller

SILVER Star
Threads
This sheared bolt fell on me while I was under the LC. It fell from somewhere directly in front of the drivers front tie rod but, which I was tightening and was bumping around a bit right there.

It's a T25 torx, 1.25mm thread.

20210424_155058.jpg

20210424_155159.jpg

20210424_155304.jpg

That's an unusual looking bolt. Are you sure that it is broken, and does not just have short threads?

That bolt had a brittle failure (see smooth surface and slight angle) and for its size would have had more threads on it. For sure worth figuring out where it came from and replace.

Searched entire engine bay from above and below with a shop light. Could not see anything missing a bolt or any bolts that looked similar.

Definitely a strange bolt to find around the engine. It has a tiny head, and intuition says it probably was meant to hold together a component's enclosure (e.g., like the enclosure around the alternator, but it's not from that).

It came from the swivel head of my ratchet wrench!!! :oops:

The head did not fall apart, and still swiveled like normal even without the bolt.

20210424_183653.jpg

Ha. Reminds me of the time someone posted about a transfer case leak and it turned out to be a mountain dew that leaked in the console fridge was dripping under the car.

Just curious, did the bolt fit back in or was some of the thread missing...?
Yes, it fit back in. The end looked sheared / broken for sure (and perfectly clean, no dust), but it actually wasn't broken. The end of the bolt on my other wrenches look the same. I think it being inset a bit must have kept it looking pristine like a freshly cut bolt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom