Figured I'd ask the source (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
I got this HUGE brisket sitting in the fridge to cook this weekend.

Waht is the best way to cook it?
I am not overly fond of smoked food but that might just be because whomever has done the smoking was not all that great at it (that includes me and others)

What is your favorite recipie for searing brisket???

:D

Slow smoke in a cooker, hickory, pecan and mesquite wood for flavor......season with a bit of salt and course pepper, smoke for a couple of hours @ 200, then remove and wrap tight in foil and cook for 12-14 hrs for the remainder......

Oven style, remove all the fat you can get off. Season with everything you have in the pantry, honestly.....dice an onion and a few gloves of garlic and toss in.... little or no salt lots of course ground pepper, a few dash's of Chipotle flavored tabasco sauce, wrap as tightly in foil as you can......double layer it, place in a throwaway foil pan. Roast in oven at 225 for 8-10 hrs......using an electric knife slice @ right angle to the grain, save the drippings and drizzle over sliced meat......I fed our entire club 3 times with this method.....and several of the guys have done it since.....I stumbled onto this method by accident.Wife remembered we were supposed to bring a meat for a Church dinner one night around, 8 I used to take forever soaking them in seasonings and inserting garlic inside the meat etc. that nite I ran out to the grocery and got the brisket and did this, and they are better than my time consuming method
Try it.....
Butch

I know I'm from SC. I've been cooking BBQ for 15 years now and in the past 3 have been trying my hand a brisket. I love that stuff and when I lived in east Texas used to eat it all the time.

I usually cook mine depending on weight for around 18hrs average. At around 215 to 225. Low and slow. I like using Lump charcoal or a burn barrel with oak or pecan not Kingsford crap. I've been using hickory to smoke with but that's just because of where I am and I'm good at using it. But I'm sure theothers will tell you Mesquite is better. I smoke as much as I can intil the meat is 140 internal after that your smoking for nothing. I cook til it's around 170 internal then wrap in tinfoil till it gets to 185 - 190. I like to personally put a little beer in the tinfoil give the Brisket a little more tast. I smoke Fat side up rub it at least 8hr prior, and mop every hr on the hr. I usually use a Weber smoker WSM for small batches and a big towbehind for the big stuff.

logo.jpg

Here is a great site to learn

http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/

Last edited:
We own a very successful BBQ restaurant in Del Rio Texas. (www.borderbbq.com). Some pointers from many years of serving kickass BBQ briskets:

1. When using a smoker, leave the fat on and always cook with the fat side up so that the juices drip down through the meat. Then you can trim some of the fat off BEFORE slicing if you want. FYI, this is called a "packer cut" brisket.

2. There are is only one way to properly slice brisket and it involves, as Butch said, cutting across the grain. However, you cannot do this all the way across the brisket. The smaller side requires that you turn the meat before continuing to cut. If you know what cutting across the grain means, you'll figure it out. If it looks like stringy roast, you blew it.

3. Do not slice more than you are ready to serve because it dries out easily. When reheating, try not to microwave it sliced, do it before slicing to retain flavor and moisture.

4. Mesquite wood produces a black, oily smoke that has a strong impact on meat flavor. That's okay for steaks, but good BBQ should not be cooked with mesquite.

JR

I'm eatin' with you Butch.

I agree on the point about Mesquite. Mesquite is great for a hot fire to grill steaks on because it doesn't have long enough to impart an overbearing flavor to the meat. For lengthy smoking stick to oak, hickory or pecan (or applewood if you can get it for smoking pork). Other than that - the mantra is "low and slow is the way to go".

Patrick

The only Mesquite we can get up here is the store bought chips, so we toss a few in, since we can't get limbs or chunks I've never tried, and won't since you guys say it won't work...Jim when did you get a BBQ joint?

Texican said:
The only Mesquite we can get up here is the store bought chips, so we toss a few in, since we can't get limbs or chunks I've never tried, and won't since you guys say it won't work...Jim when did you get a BBQ joint?

A few mesquite chips are okay, but split mesquite timber will billow black smoke, put off a soot and funk up yer smoker.

My Mom and Dad retired to Del Rio after we won a long, drawn out fight with the VA over Dad's Viet Nam disabilities. This has been a family project we have all wanted to try and pull off....and we finally did. Dad's recipe, my business skills (and lame website development), and my sister and her husband are running it. It is kicking some serious ass. I'll probably have to go to Wal Mart and get him a wheel barrow to haul his ego in...look what his new Border Patrol buddies came to lunch in today:
bp.jpg

Texican said:
Oven style, remove all the fat you can get off. Season with everything you have in the pantry, honestly.....dice an onion and a few gloves of garlic and toss in.... little or no salt lots of course ground pepper, a few dash's of Chipotle flavored tabasco sauce, wrap as tightly in foil as you can......double layer it, place in a throwaway foil pan. Roast in oven at 225 for 8-10 hrs......using an electric knife slice @ right angle to the grain, save the drippings and drizzle over sliced meat......I fed our entire club 3 times with this method.....and several of the guys have done it since.....I stumbled onto this method by accident.Wife remembered we were supposed to bring a meat for a Church dinner one night around, 8 I used to take forever soaking them in seasonings and inserting garlic inside the meat etc. that nite I ran out to the grocery and got the brisket and did this, and they are better than my time consuming method
Try it.....
Butch

BUUUUUURRRRRRPPPPP!!!!

That was in a word excellent.. Although I hink next time I will add some BBQ sauce to the meat while I am cookin it.
the major issue was keeping the brisket in one piece to cut it. The thing fell apart...

Next Question.
Grog brought out some "spicy chop" to the Hammers..

I assume that is brisket that is cooked then shredded???
Any ideas???

:D

Butch,
Thanks!

Mace said:
BUUUUUURRRRRRPPPPP!!!!

Grog brought out some "spicy chop" to the Hammers..
Butch,
Thanks!

I forgot to tell ya' I generally serve it with BBQ sauce heated and seasoned so guests can drizzle over when served.... :confused:

"spicy chop"
I know it is chopped brisket, and imagine the spice is done after cooking in a baste or into the drippings but am not sure, he brought it to Razorback also, this place will be catering next years Roundup.......Rudy's :D :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom