field woodstove (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.coopxgear.com
does anyone use a field wood stove?

I've been looking at a few, they put off a pretty good amount of heat, and the flattop models can be cooked on.

are you asking about a brand or in general. i have made several different woodstoves and they all work great for what they are. the first was a pot belly style, then i saw the light and all the others have been flat tops, the tranfer of heat for cooking is very good. i can fry the catch of the day in a skillet or perc coffee in a kettle.

not a brand per se, but yes in general. do you have any pics?

youtube has way better than a couple pics from me, i have done a couple versions of the ammo can wood stove you'll see. the pot belly one i did first was made from a 20lb propane tank,,, its a good stove for ambient heat but you might as well make a flat top one for cooking as well.

i am currently re-doing the propane tank one with a flat top for cooking. i just like the pot belly look of it. i'll snap a pic for ya.

thats sweet. I can fab, and happen to have several ammo cans laying around.

Right now I'm working on one that can be broken down into a smaller size, it has a flat top. I'll post up some pics as I move along.

youtube has way better than a couple pics from me, i have done a couple versions of the ammo can wood stove you'll see. the pot belly one i did first was made from a 20lb propane tank,,, its a good stove for ambient heat but you might as well make a flat top one for cooking as well.

i am currently re-doing the propane tank one with a flat top for cooking. i just like the pot belly look of it. i'll snap a pic for ya.

Links?

this is a good build vid of what i have been doing. after some versions i pretty much have excactly what is shown here with the addition of a baffle about 1" under the lid in front of the flu opening to make the fire go around the top cooking surface of the stove before it exits the flu,,, this seems to give off more heat to the air and the cooking surface.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=4LgArTl_BSU

this stove shows the baffle i am talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDCNSiFf1Yg&feature=related

i kinda like this style with a different size can, i might build this one to try out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoHx_iYRGcM

Last edited:
this is a good build vid of what i have been doing. after some versions i pretty much have excactly what is shown here with the addition of a baffle about 1" under the lid in front of the flu opening to make the fire go around the top cooking surface of the stove before it exits the flu,,, this seems to give off more heat to the air and the cooking surface.
DIY AMMO CAN TENT STOVE (PART 2) - YouTube

this stove shows the baffle i am talking about
Home Made Wood Stove - Urban Survival - YouTube

i kinda like this style with a different size can, i might build this one to try out.
DIY wood stove from a surplus ammo can. - YouTube
I've watched a couple of your videos before, never realized you were a Mudder.
I like that you aren't in love with your own voice, a lot of the stuff you see on YT is just blah blah blah blah blah blah<useful info>blah blah blah blah blah blah<useful info>.

sorry brother didnt mean to imply it was my video,,, i too like the guy who does them,,, tactical.

that soundtrack rocks.

are you asking about a brand or in general. i have made several different woodstoves and they all work great for what they are. the first was a pot belly style, then i saw the light and all the others have been flat tops, the tranfer of heat for cooking is very good. i can fry the catch of the day in a skillet or perc coffee in a kettle.

If you keep the top of the stove clean and seasoned (greased) you can fry 'em right on the cook top.

thats sweet. I can fab, and happen to have several ammo cans laying around.

Right now I'm working on one that can be broken down into a smaller size, it has a flat top. I'll post up some pics as I move along.

Really like the stove.
Not to hijack but speaking of ammo cans, my console:
Console in top open.jpg
Console in bottom open.jpg

Made one out of s german army ammo box a few years ago.

TrailOfen-002.jpg

TrailOfen-003.jpg

Good airflow below the firewood.

TrailOfen-004.jpg

TrailOfen-006.jpg

I just ordered one of these in stainless. They make a titanium version also. Even though I am always vehicle based I use some backpacking kit just to save weight and space so I can carry more beer!

Emberlit Stove

I just ordered one of these in stainless. They make a titanium version also. Even though I am always vehicle based I use some backpacking kit just to save weight and space so I can carry more beer!

Emberlit Stove

Pretty neat little stove that would be great as a emergency back-up to always have along.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom