Fidel Castro's FJ25 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Many of you know that when Fidel Castro came down from the Sierra Maestra and toppled the government of Fulgencio Batista, he rode through Havana on his way to the Palacio Presidencial in an FJ25 Toyota Land Cruiser. I did a little bit of research about this vehicle a long time ago, but couldn't find much information and the pictures I had were period shots, grainy B&W that didn't show much of the vehicle. I understand that the vehicle was imported by a wealthy sugarcane plantation owner and that it was "requisitioned" by Fidel's forces when the plantation was overrun.

The vehicle was "restored" (poorly) and currently resides at the Museo de La Revolucion in Havana, next to a Series I Land Rover also used by Fidel during his uprising.

I stumbled across this picture during an unrelated search and I thought you guys might enjoy it. If it's already been posted, I apologize, I was very excited to see a recent picture of the infamous Land Cruiser, and since Americans (and aspiring Americans like me) are restricted travel to Cuba, this might be one of our only chances to see it.
Fidel Castro 1959 FJ25.jpg

It has the vent in the windshield, but no hood bumpers or hooks for the windshield. Maybe a hard top. Hard to tell with just a picture of the front. The emblems on the side don't look stock. Maybe one built in South America. Still has the Tbird, front bumper, chrome headlight trim and bars in the grill. I wonder if they would be willing to sell some parts. I'm guessing it would be easier to get some of their cigars.Can you post the other pictures you have.

John

Cool picture and story, Henry!! (Geez, where do you come up with this stuff??:D )

Living in the Past said:
no hood bumpers or hooks for the windshield. Maybe a hard top. Hard to tell with just a picture of the front.
Definitely a hardtop, as indicated by the squared-off door openings and extended door post. Also, hardtop models didn't have bumpers/hooks for the windshield.

Archie 1962 FJ25 said:
No apron air intake. I think all the famous / historical FJ25's dont have it.:D
You must be right, Archie. Only the real famous 25s don't have apron air intakes. :D Again, that must either be a non-USA FJ25 characteristic or something exclusive to the "Fidel Castro Special Edition."

And, obviously it sits on those little pedestals so the brakes can be continually worked on. :rolleyes:

(Interesting looking bib lights, though.)

Wow, thanks Henry!

I had only heard about it, someone had also mentioned a recent PBS special where there was a clip of Fidel's (mom?) riding in a 25.

Quote: from myself "Maybe a hard top. Hard to tell with just a picture of the front."

I just love my computer at home.:rolleyes: My son is always upgrading it.:mad: The right side of pictures don't alway show.:frown: I can see this is a hard top.

John

I was going to let you slide on that one John....... ;)

Memory gone, eyesight going, what's next? ;p

Its um...very ah Silver...wonder if it's silver plated or ?? where are those paint chips mike found inthe 45 section again? need to check see what the color code was for that silver color...

Stew...no non bezel trucks for me

arent the door opening hard top? as well as the piller for the hard top. so no hood hardware?

Living in the Past said:
It has the vent in the windshield, but no hood bumpers or hooks for the windshield. Maybe a hard top. Hard to tell with just a picture of the front. The emblems on the side don't look stock. Maybe one built in South America. Still has the Tbird, front bumper, chrome headlight trim and bars in the grill. I wonder if they would be willing to sell some parts. I'm guessing it would be easier to get some of their cigars.Can you post the other pictures you have.

John

Landpimp said:
arent the door opening hard top? as well as the piller for the hard top. so no hood hardware?

Yeah, yeah.............WE know that.......some folks just have this.......er...........computer problem. ;p

Quote: Landpimp arent the door opening hard top? as well as the piller for the hard top. so no hood hardware?

I know my computer at home is slow, but come on John I already corrected myself. Or is this computer posting slow now:rolleyes: I think the real problem is my dialup at home is still trying to down load the fifty pictures you Email me:)

My shedule is changing to 4/10s. So I will be away from the internet for three day at a time.Some of the phone lines in the area of my cabin just when off party lines not to long ago:eek: Might have to look into satellite internet.

John

Living in the Past said:
The right side of pictures don't alway show.:frown: I can see this is a hard top.
And, you've got the nerve of calling me a senile old fart. Geeeez . . . . ;p I'll trade ya a pair of reading glasses for some 25 parts. :D

Wow that's a crappy restoration. Although I expect no less from communists. Someone please rescue that rig.

FJnotCJ said:
I happen to have the use of a rather large helicopter...

I'm going to be in Florida late December, I'll rideshotgun. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom