Fiberglass Windshield Frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anybody reccommend using these? Is it better then repairing my badly rusted original steel? And what the hell does "minor trimming mean"?

Thanks

Steel said:
And what the hell does "minor trimming mean"?

I think the same guy who came up with that phrase, also invented "some assembly required."

A few that I've talked to who went with those windshield frames, had a difficult time seating the windshield and keeping it properly sealed. I'd go with tracking down a used steel frame.

Had my fiberglass frame for over 6 years. No problem seating the glass and no leaks. Rest of my truck is FG, too. Good metal frames are becoming hard to come by.

You can get aluminum windshield frames now too. Although I think the defroster vents are a bit different. And I also believe they require a different windshield. Personally I would rather go aluminum or steel than fiberglass. I would hate to have my soft top rail tear out of a fiberglass frame. Mine's starting to bubble at the bottom edge where I fixed it 2 years ago, so in the next few years i'm going to be replacing mine too. Probably with aluminum.

ken_79-fj40 said:
You can get aluminum windshield frames now too. Although I think the defroster vents are a bit different. And I also believe they require a different windshield. Personally I would rather go aluminum or steel than fiberglass. I would hate to have my soft top rail tear out of a fiberglass frame. Mine's starting to bubble at the bottom edge where I fixed it 2 years ago, so in the next few years i'm going to be replacing mine too. Probably with aluminum.

I would prefer aluminum over fiberglass, too. The only thing in my FG frame I wasn't happy with was the defrosters. As mine is a trail truck, it didn't matter much anyway.

Who makes the aluminum Frame?

BTW, my softop frame has no problem staying attached. Although my truck can barely do 50 MPH due to gearing, I have pulled it on the trailer in excess of 80 MPH, and the soft top is still there. :D

Aqualu makes the frame, they also offer full aluminum cowls too. If they started making hoods, I could have a complete aluminum 40 if I wanted. Right now I have their tub and tailgate. But I hate their fenders. My next go-round with repainting my truck in a couple years (just did it last year) will likely include an aluminum windshield frame and bib, and some aluminum half doors.

Brother had a heep one that was fiberglass. Kind of ugly if you roll on it. Also I heard from some old guys that the steel ones are a bit better for safety issues in a roll over.

zetasig said:
Brother had a heep one that was fiberglass. Kind of ugly if you roll on it. Also I heard from some old guys that the steel ones are a bit better for safety issues in a roll over.

I woulndn't count on any protection from a windshield frame in a roll-over, metal or fiberglass.

If you go glass I highly recomend Gozzards stuff.

http://www.gozzardcomposites.com/

I have his tub, fenders and rear ambulance doors. Top notch stuff and super tough.

Matt

Hey Junk I am on Long Island, send me a PM with picture if you could.

Aluminum is a NOGO, the ones I have seen lack the OEM detail.

4Wheel Auto has a repair panel for the lower half. Its cheap so I might go with that.
http://store.4wheelauto.com/view_product.php?product=LOW39BJ97

Buckroseau thanks for the link. I may get a roof pannel from them in the future, they look HD and price seems cheaper then SOR.

Thanks all!

Capt. Jim said:
I woulndn't count on any protection from a windshield frame in a roll-over, metal or fiberglass.

By a bit better, I meant the steel one will bend and fiberglass may shatter esspecially in cold weather.

That's interesting, I don't think I've ever seen fiberglass just shatter. Mostly just kind of separate and rip apart. Hmmm. :)

I'd stick with a steel frame. I've got glass amby doors and they have a couple minor probs. Pros are that they are super light and pretty strong. Cons are that one of the hinge mount areas is delaminating a little. On a windshield I'd want to have the solid strength and weight of it. All the holes are perfectly where they are supposed to be. I definitely wouldn't want any little delamination issues in front of me while I drive.

I also seem to recall that on the windshield frame, in addition to needing the holes drilled, also require through-bolts since there aren't nuts stuck to the back interior portions of the frame. I bought one of these and was ratther disappointed and ended up sending it back. I installed an aluminum frame instead.

zetasig said:
By a bit better, I meant the steel one will bend and fiberglass may shatter esspecially in cold weather.

I've banged up my fiberglass truck many times. Nothing has ever shattered. However, it does flex and then return to it's original shape, albeit with some scratches. Granted, the force of impact will play a part in all of this. This was a slow roll-over. :mad:

Here's a pic of my truck last May.

BTW, also banged-up a fiberglass hull here and there in my youth. No shattering, except for my ego. :eek:

Doug_S said:
I also seem to recall that on the windshield frame, in addition to needing the holes drilled, also require through-bolts since there aren't nuts stuck to the back interior portions of the frame. I bought one of these and was ratther disappointed and ended up sending it back. I installed an aluminum frame instead.

I have an early Gozzard WS frame. Mine was well marked where to drill the holes. It came with metal plates embedded inside the frame that were than tapped after drilling. No thru-bolting. :)

Doug_S said:

Ditto on the plates in the Gozzard stuff. I have his rear ambulance doors and he had aluminum plates bonded inside pre-drilled and tapped, fit perfect.

I don't have his windshield frame, but if I re-call he has the aluminum bonded in there also?

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom