fiberglass leaf springs

anyone ever seen a cruiser with fiberglass leaf springs? ran across a site of company making/selling these. just wondering if someone tried this, and if they held up to any off road abuse.

the disclaimer says warrenty does not cover "abuse." i think they would classify crawling as "abuse"
mike

i agree, a boulder/rock would eat a fiberglass leaf springs lunch, or at least delaminate the surface.

crushers

post ho

hey, ige, how do they hold up? Mike has been tossing the idea around of makig a set for a cruiser...

A couple years ago, they were supposed to the the 'next big thing' for Jeep YJ's. It was a single tapered leaf spring that would, in theory, provide a continuously variable spring rate due to the taper. Sounds like a good plan, right?

I haven't seen them since.

nuclearlemon

not an addict

they're expensive and i like to sell them so who cares how they hold up :flipoff2: \\\

actually, i have only sold one or two of them, but they're not that common either.

e rock said:
A couple years ago, they were supposed to the the 'next big thing' for Jeep YJ's. It was a single tapered leaf spring that would, in theory, provide a continuously variable spring rate due to the taper. Sounds like a good plan, right?

I haven't seen them since.
I remember some similar talk about fitting carbon fibre suspension to small asian trucks but they were worried about consumer resistance

Chevy Astro vans have fiberglass mono-leafs in the rear.

That's about all I know on the matter.

BTW, the skyjacker mono-leafs for YJs were/are steel.

Ary

Vettes have been using them for years. When the Heep YJ system came out a buddy of mine called and asked if a Cruiser system was in the works. Manufacturer said a Cruiser was too heavy for the monolinear YJ style spring. I'm thinking that I like to slide my Cruiser on the springs on a regular basis and 'glass isn't gonna hold up to the abuse...

Nick

JJS

Fiberglass boats get dragged over rocks all the time with just gel coat scrapes.

JJS

.... but most boats sold in areas where there are lots of rock and a rocky shore are made of metal.
Plenty of rocks in harbors and shallow waterways around here, and probably 90% fiberglass hull boats in those harbors. They're dragged over rocks by people who are not following the channels like they're supposed to.

Top Bottom