fi40 thinking of buying this one (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome.

" Engine(6cyl)overhauled less bearings "

:rolleyes:

Not 4K....

Not even 3K to me....

1500.00 and I would listen to you......maybe....and that is if the body was A LOT cleaner than it is in those crappy pics...

But hey, it is just my opinion. I am sure that there are others out here that will tell you to jump at it.

It has more rust in it then you can see in the crappy pictures.....and anyone that 'overhauls ' an engine, 'less bearings', is giving hacks a bad name......whatever....

Good luck!

-Steve

Dude it comes with the original owners manual :eek: .

The rust from what I could see didn't seem too bad but I sense a lot more underneath. A few questionable areas like the rear sill diamondplate job, and that engine rebuild at 30k miles ago without doing the bearings :rolleyes: . Not so sure bout that. I think it's been online for a few months now so he's prolly needing to sell it. Judging from the pics and discription she needs alot of work.

Go look at it if you can, drive it, talk him down some, take less cash than he wants, and if it feels good do it. But if it doesn't then don't hesitate to walk away. Bought my first $3500 in similar condition, so that's not too unreasonable in my book. I can't imagine paying less than $2000 for it, it's a Cruiser.
:beer:

Check the frame...I would bet if you shove a screwdriver into the box sections of the frame behind the rear wheels, you'll find rust. Be careful about buying one that has this issue. You'll be chasing the rust the entire time that you own it. My .02

Hi All:

There might not be anything wrong with this rig, but . . . . . . . .

Check it out again, with flashlight, long-handled screwdriver, *and* magnet in hand. Check for bondo under the paint on the body panels with the magnet. Crawl around underneath with flashlight and screw driver, poking at suspect areas - trust me it is worth the effort!

The diamond plate on the rear body tub sill is a sign of rust repair - nothing wrong with that, just make sure the underside was done right!

Good luck!

-Alan
Seattle

i still question the overhaul minus bearings...the bearings are the wear point on an engine. and they're not expensive. usually when you overhaul an engine, it's to replace the bearings. :confused:

Take the time to look at it---take the flahslight, screw driver, and magnet. I have given 3500 and 3600 for two that were about like this.
I noticed that seller didnt provide good pics of the rig----no close of rear or side view.
The worry over overhaul less bearings------good point to consider. Bought a 78 that spent most of its life in a carport---was used little for 3 months of year and sat idle rest of time. Had to do a minor overhaul on it and didnt go as far as the main bearings.
Take what you are willing to spend-----cash spread out on table works wonders

Being in Henderson Nevada that rust came from somewhere else. Maybe try to find more information on where it came from.
There is a reason why they didn't take the pictures in the sunlight. Most likely because shadows hide imperfections; or could be cuz they're lazy.
If I bought an engine that was rebuilt less the bearings, I'd plan a teardown and rebuild before going too far.
Listen to your gut and sleep on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom