Few quick electrical questions (turn signals and headlights) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
74 FJ40:
1. Are the front and/or rear side markers supposed to flash as well for the turn signals? Or do they just remain on the whole time?
2. The left turn signal works great, but when I turn on the right turn signal, it turns just on without flashing. What should I be checking to fix this? I checked the fuse and grounds for the lights themselves. Anything else to go through?
3. I upgraded the headlight to the cityracer headlights and noticed it only turns on with high beams. They work great, but blinds people at night. Is there supposed to be a low beam setting to them too? Only my amber lights turn on with low beams. EDIT: I put a multimeter to the plug and saw it doesn't get any voltage when it's on low beam, only gets it on high beam. This may have been a problem before I switched to cityracer and I just didn't notice before. Any tips on what to look for to fix this? I found something called a dimmer switch could be a problem on prior threads, but I can't figure out where to look for it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Side marker lights don’t flash, they are just running lights.
As for the right signal, try pushing it with your finger and holding it up; does it flash now? I’ve had this issue with a few 69-72 cruisers in the past. They have just been out of adjustment in the electrical box. The way I’ve fixed it is to take the arm out of the column and grab the rod with some pliers and twist it a little bit counter clockwise.
Unless of course yours is newer then this won’t work.

Side marker lights don’t flash, they are just running lights.
As for the right signal, try pushing it with your finger and holding it up; does it flash now? I’ve had this issue with a few 69-72 cruisers in the past. They have just been out of adjustment in the electrical box. The way I’ve fixed it is to take the arm out of the column and grab the rod with some pliers and twist it a little bit counter clockwise.
Unless of course yours is newer then this won’t work.
Thanks. It didn't work by holding it up. I should've written in the original post that it's a 74, just edited that in. Maybe it has to do with the "turn signal and dimmer switch". Can't believe these 2 problems I'm having may actually be related

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom