1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ferret instruments diesel timer

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by rick_d, Mar 23, 2004.

1. rick_d

rick_d

2. VTCruiser

VTCruiser

That could be pretty handy i'd imagine. Along with that compression tester. I can't afford them right now though... :(

3. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

Interesting. What kind of discount can you get with a group buy? Ask the DTLC too.

Dave

4. rick_d

rick_d

dave-

I was thinking one to float around in a pool of owners. You don't need one every day (kinda like a knuckle center gauge).

just wondering what kind of timing light (24v???, or just one battery??) etc

5. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

FWIW both Snap On and Mac make a comperable timer. It senses the injector pulse and mimics it with a spark in a wire that a timing light can detect. Therefore you use a timing light to time it. I used the Mac Tools version it on my 2H but it was very finicy, I usually adjusted and double checked with the light. They are not cheap either, the Snap on about $400 IIRC and the Mac about $280 last I remember. I would try it before you buy if possible.

6. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

Why use that? Go with the proceedure in the OEM manual and cut down an injection pipe. It's real obvious when the point of injection is. Bonus is that a busted/bent/mutilated injection pipe is free!!

7. rick_d

rick_d

for one, if you fark up the #1 pipe on a 13B-T, you can't get another one new. You will have to bend one to the right specs.

$190 split between 4-5 people would not be that bad and would be quicker than trying to indentify the level in the 50mm pipe in a pooly lit shop.

and it should work on all engines rotary or inline without having to crack the lines off.

8. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

I agree it is real easy to time with the electrical timer. The unit was very sensivite though overall... FWIW you might be able to take the pipe to home depot or another pipe fitting source and rig up a line with out messing up your original...