Fenders/Bib trying to escape (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

midknightc3

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all, I am posting for a friend of mine. I have searched, but I'm a 60 guy and am probably just not using the correct search terms so I apologize in advance. Both his fenders and the bib are gradually falling forward and separating from the vehicle, but all bolts appear tight. Most noticeably the passenger fender has a large gap between it and the tub, and the bib is sitting far enough forward that the bonnet doesn't line up and the hood latch is almost impossible to release. This is a gradually worsening problem, so we are clearly missing something that will likely involve a face palm in the end...

Passenger side
20200719_122731.jpg

Drivers side not so bad...
20200719_122754.jpg

Bonnet/bib missmatch
20200719_122738.jpg

Thank you again for helping us out with what I'm sure will be an obnoxiously simple fix if I just knew what the hell I was doing...

Clark

Since all of these parts are basically connected to frame, more details of the underside is required. (Pictures).

all the pieces you show are slotted for adjustment and will move.
is everything tight?
double check the frame as others have said but unless there is severe rust issues or it was in an accident, it all can be adjusted back into place

While a pain to adjust, you'll just have to loosen the fender(s) and start with the gap to the firewall/cowl section, if that is good (and the fender apron on top), do the other side until both gaps are good. Make sure you are using lock washers on the four bolts securing the bottom of the fenders. There are also 10mm (a lot of times removed, or broken) that are on the running board to fender and cowl to fender, verify those.

Then, once the fenders are all happy, deal with the bib. In the end everything should snug up fine, with lock washers and be straight as an arrow.

Of course, then you'll have to adjust the hood, possibly.

Good luck.

Instead of pictures of just small areas with a gap larger overall pictures would help. Last picture looks like a section of the passenger fender is trimmed. The right frame rail also looks like it might be bend out but with that picture it's hard to tell.

As for a simple fix, my one owner 1970 FJ40 which is in great shape the original owner replaced the F engine with a early 2F in the mid seventies. Told me he had issues with burnt exhaust valves and found a 2F someone replaced right after they bought a new FJ40. Guessing with the low mileage on the cruiser and still original paint that the engine transplant was the only time the bib and fenders were ever removed. Still took me hours of loosening and adjusting to get everything where it should be.

I went over there today to take some different pictures, but after looking at things again I think what is happening is while all the bolts are tight there are no lock washers and things are just slowly slipping. Adjustment seems pretty straight forward, despite lots of bolts. Plan for now is to take the lock washer idea, loosen everything up and adjust, then tighten with lock washers. Nothing appears to be breaking, just slipping from constant vibration on washboard and rocky roads around here. It all clicked when I looked at the fenders from the tire side and could see the adjustment built in. Previously I had crawled all over the engine bay and just couldn't quite figure how things worked. If the above plan doesn't fix things, I'll get back to y'all with more pictures!

Thank you again,
Clark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom