Fender flare removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am slowly removing the fender flares from my '00 that were put on by the dealer. I have a couple of questions. First, after removing the flares, what is the best way to get the adhesive off the body of the vehicle? I have tried a toothbrush with goo gone, as well as a bug/tar removal spray from auto zone. They work, but very, very slowly. Is there some type of stronger adhesive remover? I am also not sure how to remove the flares that are attached to the rear doors. They are held on by some type of plastic screws with retaining clips, and I have tried unscrewing them and prying them with a screwdriver, but they won 't pop out. Any advise? Third, the flares have left a couple of spots where they have rubbed through the paint to the primer:mad:, and I was wondering if anyone had cheap suggestions as to repainting these small areas. Sorry for the rambling post, and thanks in advance for the help. :flipoff2:

swing by an autobody shop, they have a special wheel that buffs off glue without marring the surface. Touchup paint for the chips/exposed metal and no idea on the clips, since I've never taken them off before.

Those special wheels are made by 3M and are available from the better auto parts shops and online from places like Griot's. A very cool tool when you need to remove adhesive from automotive paint. Part #07498. Attaches to a drill, it's similar material to an eraser.

Last edited:
I found a picture:
3m wheel.jpg

I bet they guy who bought my 80 needed a case of those :)

Yes..in these tough economic times, please support 3M. My family thanks you. :)

I have the same problem with the plastic screws. Anyone found solution to pop them out?

Can someone please address the question about the rear doors flare? They're held on by clips but I've tried prying the clips away and it still doesn't budge. Please help. I've searched and everyone just talks about removing the glue left on the doors. One guys asked and then before anyone could answer..he said he got it but never told how he did it. Let me know... I'd like to remove these things today if possible.

Thanks!!!

Can someone please address the question about the rear doors flare? They're held on by clips but I've tried prying the clips away and it still doesn't budge. Please help. I've searched and everyone just talks about removing the glue left on the doors. One guys asked and then before anyone could answer..he said he got it but never told how he did it. Let me know... I'd like to remove these things today if possible.

Thanks!!!

I removed mine recently, but I don't remember exactly the process. Post some pics and I can help you out.

I'm pretty sure I just popped them out with a flathead screwdriver.

That's it. You have to work the clip out completely with the flathead...my problem ended up being the adhesive strip. That stuff is strong. That's why my flare wouldn't budge. I appreciate the help. Did you have the adhesive too, petrotk? How do you remove the fender with all that adhesive....just pull hard? Can you get between the door and the flare with floss and kinda saw it (like people do for emblems)? I may just leave well enough alone.

I used a plastic trim remover to get my plastic clips off (it has a v-grove in it to pry under a trim piece that is fastened). Underneath, my paint was abraded down to the metal in a few spots and I too had adhesive issues. I removed most of it with goo-off and different car polishing products but would need professional work to make it go away. My truck is almost 12 years old now so I im not going to go that extra step. Besides, the grey molding faded differently under the old flares so where to stop?

I didn't even think about the other trim fading. Are the fender flares still removed or did you decide to put them bacck on?

That's it. You have to work the clip out completely with the flathead...my problem ended up being the adhesive strip. That stuff is strong. That's why my flare wouldn't budge. I appreciate the help. Did you have the adhesive too, petrotk? How do you remove the fender with all that adhesive....just pull hard? Can you get between the door and the flare with floss and kinda saw it (like people do for emblems)? I may just leave well enough alone.

ya floss will work, I just pulled it off. Get one of those 3m rubber wheels you put on a drill. Highly reccomended

I didn't even think about the other trim fading. Are the fender flares still removed or did you decide to put them bacck on?

There are some small spots where the paint is rubbed off and the trim isn't faded like on the rest of the truck. It doesn't bother me, just something to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom