Felpro Head Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just blew a head gasket on my 22r 1983 Hilux. I was about to pick up a Felpro head gasket kit tomorrow but I was told that the Felpro head gaskets are horrible and I will just end up replacing it.

Normally I would just order Toyota parts and be done with it. But I just picked up a 2004 2RZ with 15k on the clock I am going to swap in but I just don't have all the parts just yet. So this ole' 22r has to last me for the next couple of months (including a 1200 mile trip to Tellico... already did it once this year :D ) .

So, are they as bad as I've heard? I would really hate to replace it again or have it blow on a trip.

Would I just be better off ordering a kit from engbldr.com? Where are there gaskets made?

Thanks in advance,
-Al

I have ben using them for years.

the things that can take out any gasket is over heating, ( but so far the multiple times my 4runner was in the 235 zone it didnt kill it)

under torquing,

bolts stretched out and bottoming out.

go felpro

I've used their kits a couple of times. No issues, seems decent. What I didn't like about the kit was it was too generic, they include a bunch of gaskets and stuff that you can't use, so you have to toss them out. Seems a waste to pay for gaskets you can't use.

The OEM kits are really nice, they are VIN-specific and everything fits, nothing goes to waste. But, sounds like overkill for you since you're yanking this engine out soon anyway.

Ya, I'd get the FelPro kit.

Well I decided to get to the OEM head gasket and the engenbldr.com timing chain kit because the the OEM one was 300:rolleyes:

KLF did you get a kit from Toyota? I just asked for a headgasket but can call back and ask for the kit if one is available.

The kit would be better cause it will have gaskets that you will need to do the WHOLE job ie: intake gasket, etc.etc.

Pilot get back over to NFC... Or I am going to reduce your post count:flipoff2:

I got the exhaust, intake, oil pan, and fuel pump gaskets... What else would I need?

you could do the timing chain while its torn down that far. or i could arrange to trade you this:
P1010019.jpg
P1010016.jpg

Thanks Ill stick with the ol girl though...
222.jpg
8888.jpg

hey man if your cool with felpro I would have engnbldr send you there head set. I swear they are the same gaskets but way less expensive compared to felpro.

I've used both in the past with good results.

I had no issues with my Fel Pro headgasket. Its the valve cover halfmoon and seal set taht pisses me off

in know what you mean, the 80 series uses aluminum half moons that get fipg in i have always wondered if they would fit a 22re the next time a tear down a 1fzfe i will compare them that shoul be sometime in the spring too:D

I have mixed resukts Lowertide with felpro. ON the cruisers the headgaskets suck.....blow....horrible......but with all my years running other 4 cy. motors I nver had any trouble with felpro......just on cruisers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom