Feels like it's starving... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 81' FJ60 made it all the way to Salt Lake today with no problems, but when coming back from the store a few miles away it died. It choked, sputteres, and died. It would start and idle, but as soon as I gave it any throttle it would die again. It feels like it's starving for fuel. I've read that after desmogging you should replace that cat so it doesn't clog. I've desmogged but I haven't replaced the cat yet, could my cat be clogged and could this be the reason for the failure to run? Could it be a faulty fuel pump, or a carburator that needs to be rebuilt? All my vacume lines are good, all my fuel lines are good, and the Fuel Filter is new. I'm glad I at least made it to where I was going, but I would like to be able to get around while I'm here. Thanks for you help!

The choke does not help.
Sight glass? Tell me more about this...

found one - not on a 60, but hope it shows you what to look for.

right in middle of carb here is sight glass:
desmog24.JPG

have a pressure guage? I have a vac/pressure gauge which can show psi for the pump - do a search for "carter" - i think there is a replacement pump that is supposed to work well from NAPA - basically rebadged aisin or somehting like that.

GL!

rob

Thanks, I'll look into it!

Get the simple stuff first, like the fuel filter. Toyota fit the filter with clamps that can be undone by hand. Make sure you have the fuel lines hooked up correctly, the pump should draw through the filter. I have seen it before that the lines have been crossed and the pump was drawing through a return line and it eventually filled the pump with crud, requiring a new pump.

Thanks, but the fuel filter is new, and I did nothing wrong in replacing it. I think it was just vapor lock, because now it's running like nothing ever happened. I'll rebuild the carb though, just for fun.

I was going to go shooting with some buddies when it did it again :mad:, luckily we hadn't got very far from his house so we pushed it back. I got some more input on it from them and I called a knowledgable cousin and the votes came in that the float was allowing too much gas in so it wasn't starving, it was choking. Got my rebuild kit, yanked off the carb and prayed I would be able to get the vacume lines and throttle/choke linkage reconnected when I put it back on. Turns out the pin holding the float in was coming out holding only one side of the float, so it definatly was letting too much gas in. This other thing that pokes out of the top with a rubber boot on the top, and a seal on the bottom inside the carb was all kinds of wore out too. 3 cans of carb cleaner and several hours later the carb was back on, I was out of sunlight, the linkage was hooked up right, and the hoses were put back in their places.
Oh, and I finally noticed the sightglass. :meh: I suppose peeping in there would have helped diagnose.:whoops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom