Feels like I'm driving a boat. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok it's been 14 years since my 80 has had any suspension work done. It's over GVM and handles like a land yacht. You can feel it waltzing away underneath its boggy and sloppy all at the same time... Has an RTT as well not shown in the pics just to raise the COG for good measure.. We fitted an el-cheapo spring and shock package to my sons' 80 series and it handles like a dream, nice postive firm road feel but he had no gear or accessories apart from a lightwight aluminuim bullbar and no 35" tyres.
All my panhard and trailing arm rubbers are good I suspect its just dead shocks giving it a very vague ride like a marshmallow. What's my best options to tighten the old girl up, the car, not the missus......!

80 scoop.png

I had to look twice at the 6000 sticker on the rear panel and then got it - nice :)

Shocks would play a very big part as well as caster angle on the front diff.

You have part time 4wd, if you drive it as all wheel drive like it would originally have been does it still behave that way? Reason I ask is when I was tracking down a driveline vibration removed the front DShaft and drove as rear wheel drive and really noticed the difference it made in that it felt way less stable, especially around corners - maybe its a placebo thing but driving full time 4x4 is much more stable

hahaha yes 6000i lone cam as a salute to Mr T's 4500 Twin cam..... I did castor correction arms yonks ago they cured the wandering steering under acceleration nicely.
Only difference I've ever noticed with part time 4x4 is the rear squats a bit more on take off, thats it. Handles the same, drives the same, uses the same amount of fuel, just does better circle work in the snow. Not worth doing for any practicable reason IMO. I might have to pull a shock or two there may be no damping in them at all, thats what it feels like....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom