feeling sluggish (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 85 fj60 is running a little sluggish these days. It has started to feel like something is is blocking the power. I don't know how else to describe it. When you hit the gas it just feels restricted. Any ideas? Thanks!!

does it still have the catalytic convertor? might be plugged/blocked

when was the last time you did a tune up?

vacumn lines?

I'm not a Land Cruiser guru yet (I've only had my FJ60 about a year), but I've put plenty of blood into it already as well as plenty of wrench time on other vehicles that have been in my flock...with that said when was the last time it got routine stuff like plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter...the basics?

Forgive me if the question sounds pretty basic but I have no knowledge of knowledge of cars.

-Cliff

I have had the cruiser for a year almost exactly. I did all the regular tune-up stuff when i bought it. I removed the catalytic converter about 6 months ago. I have an aftermarket air cleaner to help it breath a little better and I replaced the fuel filter about 6 months ago. I am pretty handy and have worked on a lot of vehicles and am not scared to get my hands dirty. Although the vacuum lines are a little intimidating. i would love to desmog it and get a weber carb. But money is tight and it's my daily driver so I want to take care of it as best I can. Thanks so much for the replies and would love to hear more.

Now that you mention vacuum lines, how do yours look? If you have some cracks in them when you bend them start there?

I'm learning the ways of the cruiser as well. Just recently I had a major exhaust leak that has led me to desmogging the rig along with all the tune up stuff, a carb rebuild, a header, new exhaust (tomorrow hopefully) and many other things. When I purchased my cruiser it was from the daughter of the man that bought it brand new in 1983...I got a heck of a deal too...950 bucks. It needed tires but turned into a fun driver that my fiance and I would fight about weekly on who gets to drive it. Long story short I had no idea my cruiser was unheathly until I drove someone else's. I started it yesterday for the first time in two months and it feels WAY more powerful.​

Maybe it's time for a carb rebuild?

You know that's what I was thinking...but not wanting to accept. The rig has 285,500 miles and no rebuilds that I am aware of. Any advice on going with the rebuild or forking the dough over for a weber? Let me know how the desmog goes and if you have any advice for someone looking to tackle it. Thanks again.

Well a carb rebuild is not a difficult thing. If you are thinking about desmogging the engine there is a lot to consider! I can't stress that enough. Me being a cruiser virgin on top of being a carburetor virgin on top of not knowing how the smog system worked made me second guess my choice...however my rig is an '83 and is emissions test exempt in my state. I no longer have an EGR valve, smog pump and the rest of the lot.

For the smog info PM me and I'll give you links to all the stuff I looked at. Seriously PM me I'll give you a synopsis of everything I've learned in the past two months about desmog. When my rig is tuned this week I'll let you know if I have any trouble with it. Currently it runs better than ever but is has no exhaust therefore I can't really say that my desmog has been successful.

For the carb rebuild there are a few ways to do it.

a) Buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself. I would chose this option if you are mechanically inclined, organized and have space to spread the individual parts out so you can clean them and put them back properly.

b) Buy a rebuild kit and pay someone to do it. If you're not mechanically inclined and you can convince someone to do this for beer it's an excellent choice. I had a co-worker rebuild mine...he's been a cruiser man since he purchased his first FJ40 brand new in 1978. He did it for free for the love of the cruisers!

c) Buy a rebuilt carb...it's just so easy!

In closing...I would only desmog if you have some issues with your smog equipment (most people will say the same thing)...mine was packed full of carbon and most of it wasn't working that well. It could be fixed up to work nice, but I chose smog free. Also if you end up deciding to desmog your rig...do the carb rebuild at the same time along with the manifold gasket and a few other things that you'll not want to replace for a while. I'm giving you this advice from someone that knows cars in general (I've spent most of my wrenching time on VW's from the 80's and general maintenance on my 2003 BMW).

I can't wait to do some of this :steer: in my cruiser!

-Cliff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom