For Sale Feeler: Utah 1980 FJ40 in pieces (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Color
Beige
This project was almost completed but just needs to be fully assembled. Literally everything is there in boxes. Frame off sandblast and powder coated, new suspension, rebuilt heads, some body work, zero rust, solid doors, swinging rear doors, needs a windshield, new wheels and tires, 4 wheel discs with new lines, half painted, hard top, LHD imported from Canada many years ago, clean title and previously registered in UT. parked for 10 years but starts and runs. I realize it's hard to say for sure but what would you ballpark the value at given what you know and can see here?

pic2.jpeg

pic1.jpeg

pic3.jpeg

pic4.jpeg

pic5.jpeg

I think you're going to have to clean it out to get a value. The sheet metal on the 79+ models was the worst for rust and corrosion. Serious buyers will need to see the condition of the tub, top and bottom. This is a minimum in my opinion to start dialing in on a value. Good luck with the sale.

While any of us can throw a cheap price at you, until you spread out the parts and pieces, take may photos, and thoroughly inventory what you do have and what you are missing, no one can give you a remotely accurate appraisal of what you're asking.

Post this over in the 40 section, it's a legitimate question for that forum. You'll get a lot more responses there.

a few things are off in the above pics,
right rear quarter looks pushed in from the rear, could be the pic angle
the wheel arch looks off also
wrong fuel pump for a 1980 engine
valve cover is wrong for a 1980 engine
might not be the original engine
DUI distributor

IMHO it is not worth half? of what was spent on it so far, trusting all the parts are there, a lot of little bits could go missing quite easily
as stated above more/better pics would help

Thanks Guys, appreciate the responses. I'm more of a 60 and 80 guy having owned a few but have never owned a 40 (although I appreciate them almost as much). This fell in my lap and I have a chance to buy it. I think the price is good but I don't have the skills or time to assemble it and don't want to pay $20K+ for a shop to do it. So....either I hang on to it for years and chip away or I flip it. I can't see it all until I buy it and pull it all out. The seller is a stand-up honest guy.

I'll post it over on the 40 page. Thanks.

There is a price that would be considered a "no brainer" however it's not a price you will like.

What is that price in your opinion...?

Little info given. Limited pics, no parts Itemized List and considering the late year I’d throw a 3k parts truck value. I found a friend of mine a 1980 that he bought on mud about 18months for 14k and it was super complete/ original And never had it’s guts scattered. So many small parts, clips, switches, hardware etc... have to be missing. That’s a late year and used parts are harder to source in my opinion to find.

Sure there is Probably 6-8k in parts if you sold everything individually that was solid but that’s a lot of work...That would be a shame.

Roll that baby out into the light of day and lay out everything next to it, we can give you an est.

Thanks Guys, appreciate the responses. I'm more of a 60 and 80 guy having owned a few but have never owned a 40 (although I appreciate them almost as much). This fell in my lap and I have a chance to buy it. I think the price is good but I don't have the skills or time to assemble it and don't want to pay $20K+ for a shop to do it. So....either I hang on to it for years and chip away or I flip it. I can't see it all until I buy it and pull it all out. The seller is a stand-up honest guy.

I'll post it over on the 40 page. Thanks.

What is that price in your opinion...?

from the original post it seemed like you own it now, not thinking of buying it and flipping it. unless I misread something in the first post.
how much does the owner want for it?
looking at the rear quarter again, the wheel opening has been cut, there is no lip on it and the upper edge where the hard top is loses the shape of the top of the tub at the radius of the corner. the rear of the tub could be all screwed up.

I'd be curious to know what kind of answers you get on this.

Agree with the above that it would be ignorant of me to suggest a price without knowing what’s there so that’s exactly what I’ll do.
Actually not a price but some points of reference.

I have the same basic thing, a 1970 FJ40 disassembled project.
Very complete original all-parts-matching truck that I bought as a disassembled failed project while I was building my 1972.
The 72 took about 3 years and $7,000 to finish. and I'm about $12K all in.

So now I have one complete restored 72 FJ40 and doubt I will ever do another.
I’ve inventoried the 1970 on an Excel spreadsheet and added up bargain prices on the pieces and it totals about $5,000.

I’d expect someone buying the whole thing as a bundle would expect to discount that more. Examples of my thinking on pricing further below.

The only FJ40s that I see show up for sale that would be worth owning are either $15,000 - $35,000 or are disassembled failed projects.
The rest are mostly complete rust buckets that have been hacked and patched together out of a bunch of random parts.

The Toyota-specific parts are expensive and hard to get, seat frames, doors, gauges, hinges, etc.
Mechanical parts are inexpensive, easy to get and would probably be replaced in a restoration anyway, starter, alternator, radiator, brakes, etc

I saw a failed project 40 on Craigslist about 6 months ago asking $4,200 that looked much worse than yours and it was sold in a weekend.
I bought the 72 about 5 years ago in pieces for $3,250 and saw better one right after that for $3,000.
Also saw a good original assembled running FJ40 with apparently not much rust that needed a complete restoration that went for around $10,000 in a weekend.

If you can do a good inventory on it and there is not much missing, my guess would be that it would go for $4,000 to $5,000 plus any new packaged parts valued at 75%.
My guess is that it would be hard to find someone to dole out much over $5,000 for a pile of parts.

Good luck.

Cleg in Tennessee

Examples of the pricing I used to net out at $5,000......
Tub, mostly good, some rust through in usual places $250.00
Doors with glass & hardware, cleaned & primed. $300.00
Hard top, complete all parts + good glass $400.00
Barn doors, zero rust $150.00
Spare carrier $40.00
Early Carburetor Rebuilt $60.00
LP Bracket $10.00
Hood, some dents no rust through $150.00
Spear $10.00
Fenders, very straight not rusted $200.00
Center arm assy $20.00
Front Axle $100.00
Rear axle $150.00
drive shafts $40.00
transmission & bell hsg 3spd $100.00
Complete column shift / vacuum shift assembly $75.00

Last edited:
The good news is, once you have it all lined up for a photo and accounted for, you can put back in the garage as a nice big organized pile.

I may be interested in taking to you about it... Let's get in touch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom