Feeler - My FJ60 in Ocean Springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1985 FJ60...165k miles...$2700 OBO

I've owned the truck since Nov2002, and it has been well taken care of.

It's an antique (25yrs old) in MS now, so no more annual renewal fees if you get the antique license plate!!

PM for details....buying classic car so garage needs the space.

Details to follow......
1985 FJ60.jpg

Last edited:
It should move quickly at that price if it doesn't have any issues. How's the interior? Air blow cold? Rust on that front fender? Looks great from here!

OK...the details:

I bought the 60 in Slidell,LA in late 2002. It was 100% intact but the owner "figgered" he could part it out at the salvage yard, so i bought the whole thing.

The truck had water over the seat bottoms in 2002 but did not get into the dash(I kept the water marks to prove it). There was water in the front axle, trans/transfer, and exhaust. Some water did get into the oilpan through the dipstick tube. When i checked the oil, there was indication of water on the bottom of the dipstick and oil above, so it had not been started. Water did not go in through the intake or exhaust. The truck had a salvage title, but it is not stamped "flood". My 60 has a rebuilt MS title.....sadly.

I changed all fluids and spark plugs, charged the battery, starter, and got her running. I removed the carpet and seats, completely removed the insulation under the carpet, simple greened the floors, pressure washed the carpet and scrubbed the interior before reinstalling everything. My first drive was over 100 miles from Hammond,LA to Ocean Springs! The truck had seen use as a local weekend beach truck for the fam until moving back to LA in 2004 where it didn't see as much use due to my commute. I drove it back again to Ocean Springs Dec 2008 when we returned to the MS Gulf Coast. I've only put 3000 miles on it, mostly around town, but it has never stranded me. I've only been off-road enough to keep the 4WD system lubed. I've never taken it into the mud.

Over 8 years, I've replaced the following:

Starter,
air pump,
clutch slave cyl,
fuel pump,
alternator ($150 NAPA Gold),
battery,
radio antenna,
2" Ironman suspension (springs/shocks/bushings) (steering damper still to be installed)
choke cable from cruiserparts,
hood latch cable,
hood insulation pad,
changed mudflaps,
replaced the ac/radio panel surround,
replaced the head rests with brown 85-era parts
added the console cupholder.
replaced the sunvisors,
rear washer bag and the radiator overflow bottle.
No tool bag but has jack and rods.
4X4 system works flawlessly in all modes; the dash light works accordingly (see pics).

I have an extra hood latch, two closeable dash vents to replace the non-closeable center vents, a repro tail lense, and an extra turn sugnal assembly.

The AC had a 134 retrofit kit on it, so I added some freon/seal/conditioner and it blew 40F air, but that eventually leaked out.

Interior is OEM with exception to a Sanyo cassette deck; speakers work fine and are the ones that were there when I bought the FJ, no holes cut anywhere in it. The fabric is in great shape, the vinyl on side and driver seat foam are worn from entry/exit. There are two spots of rust, one behind each rear wheel that I covered in rust neutralizer 6 years ago. There are dents and scratches, but it's not a rust bucket. I went under the truck after installing the lift and painted the frame with rustoleum and cleaned up the spare tire mechanism full of dirt/sand. No underbody rust or cancer.

The front driveshaft has been worked on at some time as it has a colorado drivetrain sticker on it. The greaseable u-joints have added layers of grease to the undercarriage and skid plate, so that was removed to be cleaned off. Ever since the lift, there is a vibration going through 30mph but is silent before/after. The steering wheel is also cocked to the 2 o'clock position rather than being centered.

When I bought the truck, it already had a new toyota radiator, new manifold gasket, and paint marks on some of the vacuum lines. The engine was very clean, and the oil pan was spotless in contrast to the truck itself (pics). The idle solenoid had the added ground wire mod. It doesn't smoke or leak oil, but it does run rich. IMO, the carb needs rebuilding or replacing as it loses its prime after extended periods of inactivity. Was gonna desmog it as all emissions stuff still there which is probably hurting it as well.

The exhaust is OEM Toyota and and in great shape, the manifold has a small leak in the back. The rear washer works but the tube that goes from inside to the rear window dryrotted and leaks. When I bought the truck, it had received an oil change less than 500 miles before being flooded and the michelin tires were almost new (still on it).

I'll pull her out of the garage and add more pics this weekend. It's been a fun truck, lots of great pics with the kids, lots of memories, but the off-base-commander (wife) won't allow me to take up the rest of the garage with another toy until this one sells!! I'd really like my FJ to go to someone who appreciates them and knows about them as well, but it'll sell to the first decent offer (even if I have to see it around town with blue sparco racing seats).

Last edited:
Pics taken today...let me know if anything else is needed.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

I did notice the oil pan drain plug has a little oil around it, so I replaced it this weekend. The skid plate is off for the pics.

Jester...a little surface rust (no cancer) on that dent. I used brown rustoleum on it years ago...

Last edited:
Where are you at in OS? I haven't seen this one on the road at all around here.

I'm in Gulf park Estates area..it's been in the garage mostly since the tag expired in Mar. I renewed that yesterday and drove it around the neighborhood some. It really hasn't been driven much since moving back in 2008...work, kids, school, etc just keep it sitting in the garage sadly.

I've always wanted a 60 but I can't justify it right now. I did pass it along to a few friends. You may want to park it up on Washington, someone will bite for that price.

Thanks...have I seen your 80 in a neighborhood off Government? It's a house with more than one Cruiser parked there.

I work on Keesler and will drive it to work with a for-sale sign, park it close to the street for good visibility. Thanks for passing it along...I'll be happy to show it to anyone that might be interested. My son and I rode in it last night...he said he will be OK with selling it as long as I buy something cool to replace it. :) One day, we'll both wish we didn't though.

I live out in St. Martin off Old Ft. Bayou. I drive mine all over the place. There is another white 80 I have seen from time to time with a snorkel and also a members mom has a 92 in Gautier.

OK...have probably seen you around, but there is a house in Ocean Springs with 2-3 Cruisers parked in the driveway! Wish they wanted a 4th!! :)

I did get her out today and used 4H and 4L around a nearby lake...no mudding just riding a trail. Everything is in good working order.

Last edited:
Open to offers...there's a car with my name on it and it needs the spot in my garage...

ac work?

Well....it worked. Actually, when I bought it, it had a 134 retrofit on it. I added a can of the 134/oil/conditioner/sealer and the compressor worked and blew 40 degree air. It worked until it leaked down, and since it was not a ful-time driver, and mostly used for taking the kids to the beach, I never added any more to it.

But, in the interest of science, I'll get another can on the way home from work, put it in the system, and see if everything still works. I'll report back with my findings.

Last edited:
More pics added to photobucket today!!

Today, I bought a $22 bottle of R134 with the sealer/conditioner/oil/etc. I hooked it up to the truck and the compressor came on, sounded good (no rattling/clutch chattering), and it blew nice cold air! 20mins later, it was all gone, so there is a leak in the system. I had a smaller bottle lying around, and when I put it in, it started blowing cold, but was there was a little moisture bubbling out around the dryer bottle. The sight glass in the dryer had a lot of bubbles in it, so I guess it's either moisture or air or both.

Anyway, the compressor worked great, so I guess it was a partial success....

I also put in a bottle of seafoam and filled her up with super unleaded since it's been sitting for awhile....seems to run MUCH better!

Last edited:
Moved to classified section....

Last edited:
Reduced to $2000....more pics added of the interior and underside at the photobucket link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom