For Sale 1984 HJ47 LHD pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This started out as a feeler thread because I was looking for some Troopies and came across this HJ47. I ended up buying the HJ47 so it is no longer a feeler thread!

I got this Cruiser from some Cruiser enthusiasts in Latin America. When they found it it still had it's factory green paint. Unfortunately, they decided to paint it the blue color it is now. This is a "backyard" paint job and is about the quality you would expect by a couple guys doing it in their backyard. The truck has not and was not restored, just painted. The P/O's did paint over some rust. They used very little, I repeat very little body filler on the truck. I check all my trucks before purchase with an electronic body filler detector and there is very little in this truck. You are welcome to check it over yourself using my body filler detector. They did put a cheapo bedliner in the bed.

The truck has been decoded as per the post below. It is a 05/1984 HJ47 as per a vin search on ToyoDiy.com. The truck has 238,000kms or roughly 145,000 miles. I have taken apart the speedo to clean it and it has not been altered so this is original miles. Here are more details on the truck and what I have done to it to fix it up.

05/1984 HJ47 LHD Pickup
145,000 miles
*2H diesel, original #'s matching engine
*H41 4spd trans with e-brake on the back of the t-case
*Non-Full float rear axle, 4.11 gears
*no heater, no A/C, no power steering, no disc brakes

I have done the following work to the truck, I used quality aftermarket Japanese parts:
2nd hand OEM free wheeling hubs, cleaned, painted and rebuilt
*Front outer axle knuckle rebuild - Koyo bearings
*All new brake shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware, drums turned down and are within specs. New OEM Toyota shoes in rear
*New clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder.
*new front leaf springs, shackles, pins, u-bolts and bushings.
*new rear axle seals
*rebuilt injectors using OEM nozzles
*Adjusted/tuned injection pump
*New OEM Water Inlet Housing
*New OEM grill and fender emblems
*new aftermarket glow plug solenoid
*restored seats and door cards in the OEM stock style and color
*new air cleaner
*new OEM oil filter and new engine oil, Castrol CRB Plus 15W-40
*all new gear oil in the diffs, trans & t-case
*new brake and clutch fluid
*cleaned front and rear axle breathers.

The truck is unrestored. It starts up easily and idles nice. It runs well and pulls strong, it only blows a small amount of grey/black smoke on start up. The clutch works well and the trans shifts smooth through all gears. The T-case shifts smoothly in and out of 4wd/high-low. The steering is a little sloppy but not horrible for a truck this old. The brakes need adjustment, I have not dialed them in yet.

The body on the truck is overall solid. It does have some rust but it is not rotting and falling apart. The front floor pans are shot and need to be replaced, CCOT has replacements for $600. The floor in the bed is not wasted like you might expect on a 35yr old work truck. However, it is a bit wavy and does have some rust in it, the worst rust is a spot about the size of your palm that has rusted through. There is a small amount of rust on the underside of the bed, along the seams on the sides. The steel on the doors at the very bottom is a little thin, other wise the doors are solid. No rust I can find in the rest of the cab, hood, fenders and so forth. To clarify, the seams along the bed sides do have a very small amount of body filler and some rust in them, this has been painted over but can be seen from the inside of the bed sides. The side step supports on the cab show some rust that is more serious than surface. The floor pans in the cab are shot but it is isolated to the floor pans. The tailgate and doors have thin metal at the bottom hollow areas. The cab back shows some rust or bad rust repair around one corner window on the LHS. The roof, cab back, seat base, firewall, hood, fenders, grill are all rust and body filler free. The windshield frame looks to be in good condition and rust free. The floor in the bed, while not wasted could be replaced. It has one palm sized hole in it from rust, some thin spots here and there from rust, is a little wavy and has had cheap bedliner put over this. I feel the bed sides are in good enough shape to save but will also require work along the seams. There are some busted bolts in the body hardware that will need to be drilled out and tapped. I am giving a detailed description of the body for restoration or paint purposes. You can certainly run it as-is for as long as you like and it looks decent now but is in no way perfect. The frame has some surface rust and has been rattle caned over here and there. The frame is un-cut, un-damaged and has no rot just some surface rust normal for a truck this old.

This is a good solid truck for a full frame off restoration. Or simply fix it up a little more and enjoy it! The following is my list of things it needs to be a good daily driver. I had the rear diff cover off and the axle shafts pulled when I did the rear axle seals. The ring & pinion in the rear axle looks good and wear looks appropriate for the mileage. None of these things are not working and keeping the truck off the road. They are just things I feel need attention and what it needs to be a solid driver. I will be starting work on this list of repairs next week. I am also a 100% full disclosure seller.

*Cooling system gone through, new radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses and so forth.
*new tires and wheels, this is needed/required
*heater and or A/C unit installed.
*New rear leaf spring bushings, I have these in OEM form for the truck.
*wiring gone through and cleaned up. The original harness is not hacked up to bad but there is some ratty added wiring here and there.
*new exhaust from cab back. Cab forward it is good but back from the cab it is shot.
*new shocks.
*power steering upgrade installed. I am just being honest here, this truck is a beast to drive with no p/s.
*new emblems. I just purchased new OEM emblems yesterday.
*Gauges fixed, currently only the fuel gauge works. A complete new J7 speedo cluster with new gauges loaded in it can be had on Ebay for about $200. There is a new water temp and oil pressure sensor on the engine but they are not hooked up yet and I have not had a chance to trouble shoot the gauges/wiring.
*new floor pans welded into the cab.
*front driveline rebuilt. There is slop in the slip joint.
*new door weatherstripping, window runs and so forth. Doors currently rattle.
*E-brake repaired. I was told it just needs the shoes in the E-brake drum, I never tore it apart so I don't know.
*All drain plugs replaced with new crush washers. The drain plugs on the truck have had nuts welded to them, I got them all out no problems when I changed all the fluids but they look scabby.
*Brakes need to be adjusted more, I ran out of time to dial them in before I imported the truck.

This is an extremely rare Cruiser in the USA. From my research there is very few LHD HJ47 pickups in the country. An HJ47 is not easy to find anywhere in the world since it was only made from 1980-84, they are even harder to find in LHD that are not completely wasted. I came across more of these on my last Cruiser hunting trip but this is by far the best one I found. This truck runs and drives, does both pretty well actually. It is not a perfect truck but it is also 35yrs old and un-restored. It is not full of rot or body filler. It is ready to use, tinker with or tear down for a full restore. The HJ47 got comments, tons of waves, thumbs ups and looks in Latin America while I was down there with the Cruiser. People on the street even came into my shop in Latin America to look at this truck and chat about it, a few asked if it was for sale. This truck will bring you attention so if you are interested in it be ready for that! It is a beast but is a lot of fun to drive, gives you that special kind of feeling! People have commented on how small the cab is on these trucks. I am 5ft 10" and 175lbs and fit just fine in the cab. If you are 6ft 5", ya it is probably small.

I very recently imported this truck into the USA. I have all the importation docs and customs clearance.

Price: SOLD

I can perform work and upgrades to the truck for you as well if you like. Such as Harrop E-Lockers, a lift kit, power steering, disc brakes and more. Check my website www.snlandcruisers.com to see trucks I have built. Obviously this would be on top of the purchase price.

PM me, email me at ian@snlandcruisers.com or call/text me at 208-971-2625 to discuss this truck.

Cheers

The 47 in it's original paint.
IMG_4434.JPG

The 47 how it sits now.
HJ47 51.JPG

Last edited:
Yes I have some pics, I will post later today if I get a chance.

I have not looked them over closely but I could. As well as checking with my body filler detector. Like I say though the rusty one is wearing its original paint.

Cheers

I could be interested. Will look forward to pictures.

Alright, here is the better one, obviously. Yes it is missing free wheeling hubs which means it will need a front axle service along with new hubs. Yes the wheel suck. I will let the rest of the pics do the talking.
HJ47 1.jpg

HJ47 2.jpg

HJ47 3.jpg

HJ47 4.jpg

HJ47 5.jpg

Cheers

RORO might be cheaper than a container

145000 original miles on this blue HJ47. I went over it with a fine toothed comb today. Here is the vin plate.

IMG_4195.JPG

Truck produced 05/1984. I drove it today, runs great and pulls great. Impressed with how well the 2H pulls.

I am about to pull the trigger on it and buy it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hard to make out from the VIN plate, is that Color Code 653 (Olive)? Never seen a pickup that color before.

That's a nice truck!

Thanks! It needs a certain amount of "de-funkifying" which I will certainly do. Most notably wheels and tires. It also needs a few repairs which I will also fix.

It was just to good to pass up being body filler free with minimal rust. Mechanically pretty sound.

Cheers

As best as I can make out from the VIN plate:

HJ47LP-K — H series engine (2H), J (jeep) body type, 47
L - LHD
P - Pickup truck
K - 4 forward gears

Engine: 2H. 3988 cc

Frame number (AKA VIN) - HJ47-033986

Color: 683 (olive)
Trim: LN11 (gray vinyl)

Trans/Axle: H41/K082

Per this post by @lostmarbles

KO82 differentials:
K means 9.5" ring-gear
08 means 4.11 gear ratio
2 means two spider gears

Plant - A11

Per @beno in this thread A11 is the Honsha plant

The P/O had put wood sides on the bed. I told them they could keep these before I paid for the truck. Unfortunately this has left some holes drilled in the top lip of the bed sides.

In this first picture you can see the rusted through hole in the front upper corner of the bed.
HJ47 33.jpg

HJ47 34.jpg

Like I say, floor pans are pretty shot.
HJ47 22.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
Where are you?

Where are you?

The most asked question I get so people can....oh never mind.

I am in a galaxy far far away where non-US spec Cruisers live.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom