For Sale Feeler: Canadians, 15yr or older 70's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Posting strictly to see if there is any interest. Mods delete or move as you see fit.

Any Canadians interested in 15yr or older 70-series in LHD and diesel?

For example: 1997 Troopy, 1HZ, 5spd, rust free, ex municipal truck. $15k. Few dents, needs tires, missing emblems, busted light or two.

Cheers

There was a guy in Calgary importing LHD HDJ's from Europe and they seemed to sell on kijiji. Yes, Canucks could head on down and import one from Latin America under the 15 year rule. However, I would think one would have a screw loose importing from there over Europe or Japan. I never saw one on the road that had all it's lug nut's. Seriously, this was a game I played with the GF while driving. Doesn't leave a good impression on maintenance.

Sure, 45 pick-ups where the buyer plans on doing a a frame-off on an all original unicorn. But for 70 series where a 1HZ rebuild alone is 10 grand, documented maintenance history is everything. Also, duty is based on origin and is the same for every Cruiser - Japan. So it's no cheaper importing from Panama than it is from Dubai or Belgium.

Edit: $15k USD would not be a deal at all.

As a Canadian, I might be interested, but like most other cheap Canadians, would hum and haw for a long time until it got scooped up by someone else. There probably is a market, but I don't think you would get quick turn around unless the price was really good. I keep thinking if I would see a really nice 40 series troopy I would jump on it, but when they are asking $15-20,000, I always waiver. If it were $10,000 or less I might jump a lot faster, but the problem is so would everyone else ;)

There was a guy in Calgary importing LHD HDJ's from Europe and they seemed to sell on kijiji. Yes, Canucks could head on down and import one from Latin America under the 15 year rule. However, I would think one would have a screw loose importing from there over Europe or Japan. I never saw one on the road that had all it's lug nut's. Seriously, this was a game I played with the GF while driving. Doesn't leave a good impression on maintenance.

Sure, 45 pick-ups where the buyer plans on doing a a frame-off on an all original unicorn. But for 70 series where a 1HZ rebuild alone is 10 grand, documented maintenance history is everything. Also, duty is based on origin and is the same for every Cruiser - Japan. So it's no cheaper importing from Panama than it is from Dubai or Belgium.

No worries, I asked for feedback and that is what you are giving me. Some of it I didn't know about, like the duty part.

I have always been a guy that feels trucks speak for themselves. If it is rough it is rough and there is no point in trying to polish a turd. For me doing brakes, rebuilding the axles, a clutch, ect ect is no big deal but for some folks changing the oil is difficult. If I was a buyer I would want a compression test as well.

Cheers

Oh and as far as saying ever Latin America trucks is a pile, to me that is like saying every Colombian is a drug lord. It is simply not true but a few bad apples imported crap trucks in the past (and some still are) and some people got burned which gave a bad rap to ALL Latin trucks. I see many good trucks down here all the time and yes I also see many more beat down but to say all are junk is just false. That is like saying every redneck chews or every Ford is pos or every truck from Canada is a rusty pile of poo. It is very generalizing and kind of ignorant.

Cheers

And how's about a 105!? Saw a real nice one recently for sale down here lifted on 35's with a turboed 1HZ. It was a 99 with rear diff lock as well and the manual trans. Real nice truck! Probably could get that up to Canada for under $25k.

Don't think the 105 was sold in Canada was it?

Cheers

Just curious what 70's are available? Is a 70 series pickup available that isn't beaten to f!!k and decent 1hz. Do they come with heaters down there? Did they come with options like lockers? 15k seems reasonable if the truck is reasonable.

Just curious what 70's are available? Is a 70 series pickup available that isn't beaten to f!!k and decent 1hz. Do they come with heaters down there? Did they come with options like lockers? 15k seems reasonable if the truck is reasonable.

Yes to all your questions especially if it is 15yrs old. Much hard to say yes to all your questions if it is 25yrs old, they do exist at that age but are few and hard to come by.

Which is why I am reaching out to the Canadians.

Pretty much all 70's are found down here in CA but the mwb seems pretty rare. Colombia the mwb is pretty common but are all gassers.

Cheers

I figure I'll be needing a new truck in about 300 000 KM, or 10 years, whichever comes first.

Right so you are saying they are very well built trucks!

Cheers

Right so you are saying they are very well built trucks!

So far, I think so. I'm using a total of 500 000 KM capability in my cost-per-kilometer spreadsheet, which I'm using to do my financial planning for longer term travel. Since I expect to buy trucks with 150-200 KM on the odometer, for CAD20000 (includes baselining and suspension), I figure capital cost is around 6-7 cents per kilometer for a Land Cruiser.

But if I could buy a newer truck, the equation would be different. Assuming I'm in the market sometime around 2027, that could be a 2012 HZJ76? Front coils, rear leafs, …

I'm sorry, I don't understand if you actually have one of these jeeps, or are just thinking about importing one and selling it?

Who said anything about Jeeps?

Is that 10 grand just for parts or is that labor too ?

And how's about a 105!? Saw a real nice one recently for sale down here lifted on 35's with a turboed 1HZ. It was a 99 with rear diff lock as well and the manual trans. Real nice truck! Probably could get that up to Canada for under $25k.

Don't think the 105 was sold in Canada was it?

Cheers

Never got that model, just the 100 series. I like the 105s due to the front solid axle...

Posting strictly to see if there is any interest. Mods delete or move as you see fit.

Any Canadians interested in 15yr or older 70-series in LHD and diesel?

For example: 1997 Troopy, 1HZ, 5spd, rust free, ex municipal truck. $15k. Few dents, needs tires, missing emblems, busted light or two.

Cheers
I’m looking for a fjz77 in 5 speed diesel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom