Feel Resistance/Drag while driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just noticed this on the way home so I haven't investigated this yet. In the morning I will jack up each side to try to pinpoint exact cause, but here's the symptoms.

Feel resistance in driving the vehicle.

No problems with brake pedal feel, pulling to one side while braking or anything like that.

When parked at an incline it is very slow to roll downhill backwards, where normally it should.

When on a flat surface the moment I stop gassing it at very slow speed it rests in one position.

E-brake when applied fully locks up as it should and feels normal releasing it.

No sound, no smell, no hot hubs after driving it for awhile.

Gearshift feels fine, no clunking, no grinding, nothing of the sort.

I thought it may be an ebrake that isn't fully releasing.. Is this plausible and how should I check it and or fully release it?

Side notes, OME installed one month ago. Went wheeling about three weeks ago and afterwards was having some shaking/shuttering while releasing the clutch in 1st gear since. Is that a pressure plate or flywheel warping? Thanks all!!

bump

I would think you could check the e-brake release by pulling off the drums. If they come off, it isn't the e-brake.
Any slack in the line between the two rear wheels when they are "released"?

my e-brake arms were stuck in the "on" position and there was a ton of slack in the cable. I sprayed some lube under the rubber boots at the pivot point and used a hammer to free up the arm. Now I can actually push my truck in and out of the garage!

I was able to feel a dramatic difference in the e-brake handle feel after everything was working. When the arms are free, you can feel the spring resistance when pulling the e-brake handle.

The resistance almost has to be at the rear brakes. Those bellcranks that operate the brake may be stuck in the "pulled" position. I freed up the set on my FJ40(FJ60 rear axle) and am about to install new ones in my 60. They are available new from Toyota.

IT's really important that the bellcranks move freely, since that's part of the mechanism that allows the rear brakes to adjust themselves each time you pull the e-brake.

Pull your rear brakes apart and take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom