Feel like an idiot in regards to the "slinky" suspension kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the 3" Slinky kit seems to run a bit tall from what many others have reported. They are designed to be the advertised lift height when loaded. Nothing you hate more than to get a lift and have it sag and be lower than you thought you were getting. FWIW, I'm almost 4 years in on my Slinky setup and it hasn't sagged a bit, even as I've added some weight.

I didn't trim a millimeter of anything with the Slinky kit to run 35's. Under totally stuffed compression I'd get a very slight rubbing in certain situations but not enough to damage tires, or any sheetmetal or flares. I jumped up to 37's with my 3" slinky kit. This did require minimal trimming but most of the trimming was needed because I moved my front axle forward. If you're dead set on 4" its NBD to add a small trim packer. I chose to add a 1" body lift recently but that was only because I wanted to reduce the amount of bumpstop I was using to get more compression. Sounds like you're set on the Slee/King setup. Nothing wrong with that and I'm not trying to convince you to change direction, just trying to correct some information that's in this thread for others that are reading.

In terms of ride quality, I'll take the dual rate Slinky springs over the linear Slee springs any day. But everyone's preferences are different and the Slee springs are nice springs.

3" Slinky on 35's at nearly full flex and no rubbing.
IMG_0630 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

3" Slinky on 37's (before the 1" bodylift) still a little more travel available in front but the rear was at full stuff. No rubbing.
IMG_3161 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Hey Adam, Thanks for taking the time to fill in the gaps! Appreciate the honest review and contribution.

the 3" Slinky kit seems to run a bit tall from what many others have reported. They are designed to be the advertised lift height when loaded. Nothing you hate more than to get a lift and have it sag and be lower than you thought you were getting. FWIW, I'm almost 4 years in on my Slinky setup and it hasn't sagged a bit, even as I've added some weight.

I didn't trim a millimeter of anything with the Slinky kit to run 35's. Under totally stuffed compression I'd get a very slight rubbing in certain situations but not enough to damage tires, or any sheetmetal or flares. I jumped up to 37's with my 3" slinky kit. This did require minimal trimming but most of the trimming was needed because I moved my front axle forward. If you're dead set on 4" its NBD to add a small trim packer. I chose to add a 1" body lift recently but that was only because I wanted to reduce the amount of bumpstop I was using to get more compression. Sounds like you're set on the Slee/King setup. Nothing wrong with that and I'm not trying to convince you to change direction, just trying to correct some information that's in this thread for others that are reading.

In terms of ride quality, I'll take the dual rate Slinky springs over the linear Slee springs any day. But everyone's preferences are different and the Slee springs are nice springs.

3" Slinky on 35's at nearly full flex and no rubbing.
IMG_0630 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

3" Slinky on 37's (before the 1" bodylift) still a little more travel available in front but the rear was at full stuff. No rubbing.
IMG_3161 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Looking at Slinky kits I don't see caster correction plates in their kits. Did you add yours separate? Are you running a D/C drive shaft?

Looking at Slinky kits I don't see caster correction plates in their kits. Did you add yours separate? Are you running a D/C drive shaft?
I already had caster plates when I got my Slinky kit. But I know they recommend the Slee caster plates regularly. I do have a D/C drive shaft. Already had that as well since the lift I was replacing was taller than the Slinky kit.

@GOTLOCKED96 mind PMing me ? I tried sending you a message regarding the KING + SLEE setup you're gonna be running, but it says your inbox is full.

Well first would be a personal preference and the fact that "Slinky" doesn't make a 4" lift kit.

Per other members, if you want to run over a 35" tire the slinky kit will require you to do some trimming.

Slee's heavy spring can accommodate my Slee bumper, full size spare, 24 gallon sub tank, and drawer system I am putting in.

I know slinky has a heavy rear spring set, however it's more expensive than Slee's and I have yet to see some long term reviews or data.

As for the Kings, I wanted a 2.5 remote shock with an adjuster. Both King and Icon have great reviews so again this is just a personal preference.

If my rig was a daily than I would for convenience purposes run a 3" slinky and 35's or smaller.

I know this is from 3 years ago. Maybe the perfect time to ask as you've had a good amount of time to try it out. Did you go Slee 4" and King with remove reservoirs? 3 years down the line how do you like the setup? What size tire are you running? Did you jabe to do anything besides the suspension to fit?

I know this is from 3 years ago. Maybe the perfect time to ask as you've had a good amount of time to try it out. Did you go Slee 4" and King with remove reservoirs? 3 years down the line how do you like the setup? What size tire are you running? Did you jabe to do anything besides the suspension to fit?
I really like it. It’s a full slee 4” kit with radius arms.
I added a delta panhard bracket with the OME adjustable panhard bar. Running OME adjustable rear uppers and SPC lowers.

Method 105 beadlocks and 37x12.5 KM3’s tuck nicely with no trimming. Offset also looks nice and flush.

Truck rides firm but I prefer it that way. Additional things for drivability that I feel make a difference.

New oem drive shaft in rear
New engine and tranny mounts
Full oem brake refresh
Redhead 105 upgraded box and Slee rods
All new OEM tie rods and rubber throughout

I added a delta panhard bracket with the OME adjustable panhard bar. Running OME adjustable rear uppers and SPC lowers.

Method 105 beadlocks and 37x12.5 KM3’s tuck nicely with no trimming. Offset also looks nice and flush.

Truck rides firm but I prefer it that way. Additional things for drivability that I feel make a difference.

Full oem brake refresh
Sounds excellent. Thanks for your quick and thorough response!

Full oem brake refresh
Could you post a profile photo of your 80 or a link?

Could you post a profile photo of your 80 or a link?

It'll make you feel bad about our rust buckets. Nick has the most immaculate 80 I've ever seen. Looks like every nut & bolt is brand new!

It'll make you feel bad about our rust buckets. Nick has the most immaculate 80 I've ever seen. Looks like every nut & bolt is brand new!
Sounds awesome! My interest was in seeing the stance of his 80 on the Slee 4” lift. His opinion concerning a firm ride is rare and I share that with him. My rear coils are Slee 4” heavy progressives several years now. They do lift the car near 6” empty but we can load what ever we want and she maintains 4” lift and doesn’t sway all over. I went to his Instagram but his name is very common and didn’t get me anywhere.

Sounds awesome! My interest was in seeing the stance of his 80 on the Slee 4” lift. His opinion concerning a firm ride is rare and I share that with him. My rear coils are Slee 4” heavy progressives several years now. They do lift the car near 6” empty but we can load what ever we want and she maintains 4” lift and doesn’t sway all over. I went to his Instagram but his name is very common and didn’t get me anywhere.

Here's a screenshot from one of his pics

Screenshot_20230714_115031.jpg

I like that bumper…. Overall, the rig is too clean for me. What’s a Land Cruiser for anyway?

Yes it sits about 2” higher in the rear. My plan was/is a sub tank and rear drawer set up. If I end up not finishing it and sell it. I am going to swap in non heavy’s to even out the stance for auction pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom