1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback on a new Nissan X-Terra 6spd

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Zack1978, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Hey everyone,
    I am starting to think about selling my 1995 Pathfinder, and poss the Cruiser to buy a new Nissan X-Terra 6spd. Any feedback on the X-Terra? Are they good trucks? How tough are they? Anyone?

Thanks,
    Zack

2. mloudy

mloudy

I have a 04. The only thing that I do not like is the bounce in the rear end - I have not had any problems yet. The '05 has changed on the external but not sure if any others.

3. patride71

patride71

my sister has an 03 and has had no problems with it. doesn't take it offroad though. i have only rode in the back seat and it was kind of cramped and uncomfortable. my dad had one of the first ones that came out back in the 90s.
    he liked it and had no problems with his either. sorry i don't have any feedback on offroad capabilities...but i think they are reliable overall as many nissans are.

4. Sporin

Sporin Site Addict SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    The 05 is a 100% completely NEW truck top to bottom, chassis, engine, EVERYTHING. I don't think there is a single carryover part of any consequense.

Looks like a great value and geat truck overall. Loaded offroad package 6spd with that lovely bgi V6 for around $26k? Excellent. Locking diff, hill decent control, etc. etc.

It's built on a modified Titan chassis btw.

5. Ocelot

Ocelot

I 2nd sporin... the new X looks pretty decent... rear electric locker, ability to fit 33s stock, 6-spd, 4.0L V6 with lots of torque. Dont know how it will hold up reliability wise though.

6. FirstToy

FirstToy

But I guess it sucks when it's called the FJ Cruiser but ok when it's called an Xterra?;) (Bonus the FJC will be made in Japan-probably at Tahara)

I had the Xterra and traded up to my 4Runner. It was a good suv but just as with the new Xterra, the "hardcore" tax is pretty high. Even in late 02-03, people were paying $28-29K for the old Xterra which I think is insane.

I have good memories of the old one, stuff would fall apart but mechanically very reliable (save a rr main seal leak that was fixed under warranty). My expectations were not as high at $23K entry fee- but it was a decent ride.

I think the new X is a great pkg, seems to have great ground clearance and decent amount of room (same dimensions roughly as the FJ Cruiser). RR locker is great. Nearly $30K for quality and materials worse than a Tacoma doesn't make it a long-term consideration for me.
    After 3 yrs, I was DONE with the Xterra. 3yrs w/ the 4Runner and I feel like it's just getting started.

If it was me, I'd wait for the FJ C.

7. Sporin

Sporin Site Addict SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    You just can't compare ANY aspect of the pre-05 Xterra with the new one, they are completely different.

Sticker on an Offroad Package Xterra is only mid $25's and that is a screaming deal for everything you get IMO. Look around at the competition, it is a big time value.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/nissan/xterra/100515797/review.html

FWIW, I think the upcoming FJ Cruiser is just fine. I think most people's issues with it have more to do with the asthetics and the name then any of it's mechanical attributes.

Like I said though I have no problemw with the new FJ at all.

8. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

Only one observation. you hope that in a 6 speed tranny on a SUV ( or all wheel drive vehicle ) the 1st speed are so lower .. but not .. ! is a long ( as usual in this type of vehicle ) 1st speed.

9. Ocelot

Ocelot

Nissan didn't call theirs a Cruiser... nor did it pimp out 50 yrs of heritage to sell it

10. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    I just test drove the 6spd, and the f'ing thing is great! I wish I could win the lottery right as I would have it in my garage already!. It is an amazing truck, I took it on at least a 30 min test drive and it is flawless. The power is amazing, the ride is good, and you hear very little road noise! And the Rockford Fostgate sound system has enough bass to break glass. I could not find anything to not like about the truck. The loaded off-road package truck was right around $27,000 for an 05. I bet in a few weeks it will be lower. The guy said the 6spd's are rare and when they get them they are usually gone in a day or 2.

Zack

11. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Just checked out another 6spd off-road , with the Rockford system. The guy came down as low as 26,000 for an 06. I want the truck, but who the hell wants to start with payments again? Ah I don't know what I should do.

Zack

12. DBAX

DBAX

WORD.
    Zack, I have a highly modified '01 5 speed (only one ever up widowmaker on MM ;p ), and I'd LOVE to trade up to an 06 OR edition X. Only thing is no one'd buy my X. Dude, don't think twice about it, go get one.

13. honk

honk

Media:
    Start with payments again. You know you're gonna.

14. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

Don't do it! I recently had the same urge towards a new 6 speed Tacoma (see thread "I want to go back in debt". I then waited a few weeks and the painful urge passed.

15. DBAX

DBAX

Hey Honk, is that all the cars you own, or all the cars you've ever owned? :)

edit to add- Nice collection, that's all..

16. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:

Well, the thing is the X-Terra would replace my 1995 Pathfinder, with 163,000 miles on it. I love my Path, but at this point it needs some rust repair , tires, and a power steering pump. I am guessing the repairs will total about $3,000. So the BIG question is should I put the money into the Path or step up and get the new truck, and have payments again. The Path is my daily driver. Any advice?

Zack

17. DBAX

DBAX

What ever the fawk you do, it's XTERRA.

18. fj40charles

fj40charles

I know people that call them X Terribles. It is a poseur mobile in my book.

19. DBAX

DBAX

say hi to your jeep friends.

The Gen1 XTERRAS do require a bit of work ($$$) to get them on a 4.5+ trail, but so did your 40 Chuck. The Gen2 X however, is fully capable right out of the box, and a blast to drive. Don't speculate and guess. Go drive one and tell me honestly you didn't think it is a well made, powerful, and capable truck. You can't.
    :)

20. Shahram

Shahram I ain't got herpes no more.

I understand you're looking at the '05+ models, which are a completely different animal than the Gen 1 Xterras...I owned an '03 4WD All-Manual Xterra for a year and a half. Probably wouldn't take much searching to read about my experience with Nissan. I'd say that the new Xterra is a formidable IFS rig, but I must add that, unless Nissan has completely revamped their customer service style and the way they deal with warranty issues in the last year, I'd avoid doing business with them altogether. I had to sic the state on them to stand behind their product, and when they didn't, the state made them buy it back and give me back my money.