Feedback - Hot Tranny Shifter on 88-FJ62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some feedback on this......I searched for a while and found nothing that really addresses what's happening.

Just drove my 88-FJ62 about 450 miles over the past two days, 95% highway. Throughout the entire trip the shifter box on the floor was quite warm. The box only, not the actual shifter. However, the tranny shifted fine at all times, and I was on realtively flat ground with only a moderate load in the truck. My avg highway speed was probably 68 mph, with only a few stops along the trip. My truck has some upgrades (OME shocks, 2.25" exhaust w/free flows), but only 30X9.5 Michelins on it. Plus, I just had new tie rod ends put on, and an alignment.

I've had the tranny fluid changed twice since purchasing at 167K (just turned over 183K today) and it has shifted better each time. My most recent change was approx 7K ago.

Is this common? Or, is there some foreshawdowing going on here?

Thanks

Andrew

An auto tranny is probably the second hottest part of your truck, after the exhaust manifolds.
(Well, combustion chambers, but the exhaust is kind of an extension of those.)
It will transfer quite a bit of heat to all surrounding areas. Especially nearest the torque converter.
And your shifter isn't that far back from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom