This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.palmit.com
Hi All,

I'm replacing my 31x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains with BFG All Terrains. Why? I'm looking for better performance on hard-packed snow.

I'm close to closing the deal on 33x9.5x15 but I have some concerns about performance. How is this tire going to do on the freeway? Will it be stable in the turns? Is it going to want to pop off the bead if I air it down in the sand?

I like the look of narrow tire but the 9.5 on an 8" wheel bubbles out a bit and I think it looks a little odd. I do like how it looks from the rear profile. Overall I think I like the look. However, I'm more concerned about performance.

I put a 33x9.5x15 on the truck to get a better feel for looks - Les Schwab sold me a single they had for $50.

I've read a lot of posts here on this subject but I'd like to get some more feedback from those of you that have used this tire (33x9.5x15) on an 8" wheel. Love it? Hate it? Would you do it again or would you opt for the 10.5?

Here are a few pictures of a 33x9.5x15 on the truck. FYI - Costco has this tire in this size for $143 installed.

Pictures: Flickr: Slideshow Pop Up Window

Last edited:
I have had a set of BFG AT 33x9.50 on mine since I saw that tan 60 that was in the Man-a-Fre catalog quite a few years back.
I had no problems and they ran pretty good especially on wet roads in the rain.
I was always a little leary of going into sharp turns fast with the tall tires and OME suspension but never had any problems. I guess I always feared them rolling under or something.
They are almost ten years old and are getting dryrot cracks bigtime as the truck has not been driven in about 4 years.
I will replace them with new ones though when the truck is finished.

i have 33x9.50 r15's on oem wheels. not sure what they are; 7 maybe 7.5".
i have no complaints. same tires are on the 40.
i run the 60, 60 miles a day with a short highway stint, 70-75mph no problems.
we get everything from rain to ice here and everything in the middle. as long as i can get them, i'll be running them.
none of my junk see's much off road time, so i can't really speak there. bu ton road, two thumbs way up.
fj60six.JPG

I'm also trying to decide between the 33-9.5 and the 33-10.5 AT's for my 82 fj60. The mpg's of the skinnier or the offroad traction of the wider.

I used to have the 33-9.5 bfg muds on my previous 86 fj60. I loved them on the road, very smooth and quiet for a mudder. Also the mpg's went up a couple of mpg's. They cornered fine as they had strong side wall construction.

If you do much off-roading you will sacrifice on the traction compared to a wider tire. I used my 9.5's on the road and some 12.5's off road. huge difference offroad between the two widths. I did manage
to make it up the not so easy holy cross city trail in colorado with the 9.5s with only add a leafs and rancho's.

i run them on an 8in wheel and i wish they were on 7's. performance wise i have no problems. i like them. looks wise, they would look better on 7's. airing down exposes a lot of sidewall in the downward direction. havent had any punctures in the sidewall yet, but it makes me nervous. sand, they're alright. never been in sand, sand though. next time i'll probably get the 10.5's.. unless i get 7in. wheels.:)

I ran some 33X9.50's on stockers and then on 8" wheels. Both ran fine at road pressure (35+ psi). On the stockers, at low pressures (15 psi) the tall sidewall enabled a lot of side to side movement. Kind of disconcerting. Much improved with the 8" wheels. Looked good on both wheels (but all cruisers look good). That said, I kinda liked them better on the 8" wheels.

Also, mine were siped. Les Swab AT's. Best rain/snow/ice tire I've ever used. I think that size is a really good size for PNW winter driving.

Ended up going w/ 33x9.5x15 BFG ATs. Got them at Costco this week for $120 each. Thanks for the feedback everyone. So far I'm loving the tires - look, and ride improvement.

I've been really impressed with my 10.5 on stock wheels. I'd wouldn't run them on an 8inch wheel. Increased chance of loosing a bead and all. But if it's only a street rig, no big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom