Federal Emissions Sticker - Registration in California (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I'm still doing some research into whether I can register this 1992 FJ80 in California.

It looks like the emissions label doesn't specifically state that this car meets California Emissions requirement, however I do plan to bring it into meeting the CA standards. See below for the sticker on the vehicle:

1591816711757.png

I've seen other images on the web that specifically state that this model year also has something that conforms to 1992 standards. See below:

1591816868534.png

Anyone have any experience with registering vehicles like this in CA? My other alternative is to head down to the local AAA to ask as well.
My other option is just finding another hood with the stickers already on there that say CA compliant and calling it a day, but wonder if that's worth that hassle if the VIN states that it's not CA compliant.

Thanks

You look at the CARB website?

I have looked at the CARB website. It's inconclusive what I can or cannot do for used vehicles and only specifies new vehicles

A California resident or business cannot operate a new out-of-state vehicle in California that is not "California certified." The Department of Motor Vehicles will not register it. It cannot be driven or sold here. If the vehicle is to be operated or resold, it must be removed from California. Converting a "federally certified" vehicle to be "California certified" is not allowed.

Well considering it’s a 1992 it might have a exemption. Like out of country importation of vehicles 25 years and older.

The operative word in that quote you had above is "NEW out-of-state vehicle." The vehicle is not new. You're transferring registration without transferring ownership, therefore the vehicle is not being sold into the state. As long as the emissions equipment on the truck is intact and operating as intended, as will be determined at the SMOG station, you should be fine.

I can't find a well written article on the new CA DMV site, but basically, if the vehicle has over 7,500 miles on it, it's considered used and as midfat says, it should be fine (assuming smog equipment works as manufactured).

Now, that's not to say the DMV will be easy to deal with... we just finished registering an out of state pre-pandemic purchase (not a LC). I had to make some repairs to get it smog ready, so by the time I finished that and got the computers ready and the car smogged we were already in pandemic DMV mode. Managed to get into the DMV while they were still doing walk-ins, but they would only let my wife in (since we were registering it in her name). DMV employee refused to accept the out of state transfer form as a "bill of sale", so they gave her a different form and sent us on our way. What they gave her was Reg 262 Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form which is printed on special paper and requires an ink signature (a bit hard to get when the vehicle is from out of state!). This form is used when you need an odometer verification. If the vehicle is over 10 years old, you don't need odometer verification, and you can use Reg 135 which is just a plain Bill of Sale form that you can email and have the seller sign and email back, which is what we did. I did mail the Reg 262 form for an ink signature as a back-up, but never got it back. We were going to go back a couple days later, but by then, they had stopped taking walk-ins. We had an appointment for a week or so later, but then they cancelled all the appointments when they shut down the DMVs completely. When they finally re-opened, they actually did automatically reschedule our appointment for last week and we finally got it registered. But it was late at that point and while they could waive most of the late fees, there was a "use tax" they couldn't waive ($120), but we can apply for a refund for that as well.

In summary, if you can get a Reg 262 form (they will mail one to you), I'd bring that with you along with Reg 135, as a "just in case" back-up for dealing with the DMV. Also note that you need to do a vehicle inspection at the DMV prior to going into the office. FYI, do NOT sign the inspection form until you are at the DMV counter and they ask you to sign it.

Now, for another registered an out of state vehicle story. Years ago, I bought a Zero (electric) motorcycle used, but since it had less than 7,500 miles, it was considered new. While going through the inspection process, the smog sticker didn't specifically state it was CA compliant. They knew it was electric, and I'm telling them it literally has zero emissions, but to no avail. They gave me a scary form stating it couldn't be registered in CA by me or anyone else. Took it to a different DMV a week later, where I had a nice conversion with the inspector about how cool electric motorcycles are and got it registered with no problems!

I can't find a well written article on the new CA DMV site, but basically, if the vehicle has over 7,500 miles on it, it's considered used and as midfat says, it should be fine (assuming smog equipment works as manufactured).

Now, that's not to say the DMV will be easy to deal with... we just finished registering an out of state pre-pandemic purchase (not a LC). I had to make some repairs to get it smog ready, so by the time I finished that and got the computers ready and the car smogged we were already in pandemic DMV mode. Managed to get into the DMV while they were still doing walk-ins, but they would only let my wife in (since we were registering it in her name). DMV employee refused to accept the out of state transfer form as a "bill of sale", so they gave her a different form and sent us on our way. What they gave her was Reg 262 Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form which is printed on special paper and requires an ink signature (a bit hard to get when the vehicle is from out of state!). This form is used when you need an odometer verification. If the vehicle is over 10 years old, you don't need odometer verification, and you can use Reg 135 which is just a plain Bill of Sale form that you can email and have the seller sign and email back, which is what we did. I did mail the Reg 262 form for an ink signature as a back-up, but never got it back. We were going to go back a couple days later, but by then, they had stopped taking walk-ins. We had an appointment for a week or so later, but then they cancelled all the appointments when they shut down the DMVs completely. When they finally re-opened, they actually did automatically reschedule our appointment for last week and we finally got it registered. But it was late at that point and while they could waive most of the late fees, there was a "use tax" they couldn't waive ($120), but we can apply for a refund for that as well.

In summary, if you can get a Reg 262 form (they will mail one to you), I'd bring that with you along with Reg 135, as a "just in case" back-up for dealing with the DMV. Also note that you need to do a vehicle inspection at the DMV prior to going into the office. FYI, do NOT sign the inspection form until you are at the DMV counter and they ask you to sign it.

Now, for another registered an out of state vehicle story. Years ago, I bought a Zero (electric) motorcycle used, but since it had less than 7,500 miles, it was considered new. While going through the inspection process, the smog sticker didn't specifically state it was CA compliant. They knew it was electric, and I'm telling them it literally has zero emissions, but to no avail. They gave me a scary form stating it couldn't be registered in CA by me or anyone else. Took it to a different DMV a week later, where I had a nice conversion with the inspector about how cool electric motorcycles are and got it registered with no problems!

All good points and good to know. There is a CEL and o2 sensors are non existent due to cats not working properly. I plan to do a whole emissions system swap prior to bringing it to the DMV so I'm assuming if I can get rid of the CEL and get it smogged, I should be good to go? Also what's the late fee? I don't know how long it will take me to get the truck up to smog readiness but hopefully it should be quick....

@alphaeighteen,

As long as you pass smog, you should be able to transfer the title to your name in California. So that means you have to deal with the CEL because that will show up when you get it smogged. Toyota Land Cruisers are 50 state legal - some manufacturers had cars that was not legal in California, I am not sure if they still do that now but you should be good with your Cruiser. Good luck and have fun with it.

I'm not sure how they calculate late fees, but the CA DMV has a good calculator for fees: Calculate New Resident Fees

So you can plug in different dates and see. For example, the car we registered, which was first operated in CA on 2/29, would have $93 in DMV penalties (which got waived due to COVID) and $120 use tax penalty (which we have to apply for a refund) if we registered it today.

They say the fees are due the first day the car is operated in CA, but there's no way to pay them online and it seems horrible to make a separate trip to try and pre-pay the fees before you're ready to register, but I guess you could try that. It seems as long as you register within 20 days of operating in CA, they're ok with it.

Also, if you haven't smogged a pre-ODB II vehicle before, call around to get quotes before you go. Lots of smog shops don't really want to deal with it because it takes longer and will quote high prices. The Hollywood location of Auto Chek Services was my favorite smog station before it closed (they have other locations) because they never gave me any BS when smogging my '87 Toyota Van and can do it for about $65 when they have a coupon, whereas other places will quote $80+, $100+, etc. And you don't want a shady place (or maybe you do...) that wants to charge $250 cash to pass the visual (which happened when I last smogged my LC, I declined, paid the "regular" price and replaced $15 worth of hoses and came back for the free recheck).

Also, make sure the engine is well warmed up before you take it to smog.

I'm not sure how they calculate late fees, but the CA DMV has a good calculator for fees: Calculate New Resident Fees

So you can plug in different dates and see. For example, the car we registered, which was first operated in CA on 2/29, would have $93 in DMV penalties (which got waived due to COVID) and $120 use tax penalty (which we have to apply for a refund) if we registered it today.

They say the fees are due the first day the car is operated in CA, but there's no way to pay them online and it seems horrible to make a separate trip to try and pre-pay the fees before you're ready to register, but I guess you could try that. It seems as long as you register within 20 days of operating in CA, they're ok with it.

Also, if you haven't smogged a pre-ODB II vehicle before, call around to get quotes before you go. Lots of smog shops don't really want to deal with it because it takes longer and will quote high prices. The Hollywood location of Auto Chek Services was my favorite smog station before it closed (they have other locations) because they never gave me any BS when smogging my '87 Toyota Van and can do it for about $65 when they have a coupon, whereas other places will quote $80+, $100+, etc. And you don't want a shady place (or maybe you do...) that wants to charge $250 cash to pass the visual (which happened when I last smogged my LC, I declined, paid the "regular" price and replaced $15 worth of hoses and came back for the free recheck).

Also, make sure the engine is well warmed up before you take it to smog.

Thanks for the advice. I should be able to complete the repairs within 20 days...

Also looks like Auto Chek has multiple locations in LA, so I'll head over to them. They have a 20% off coupon now. They are also very clear about the pricing for the years of vehicle.
  • Smog test fee (2000 & newer) or Pre-Inspection test fee $49.95
  • Smog test fee (1996 thru 1999) or Pre-Inspection test fee $59.95
  • Smog test fee (1976 thru 1995) or Pre-Inspection test fee $69.95

I'll also plan to change all fluids (most importantly coolant/ oil?), spark plugs, fill up some fuel injection cleaner in the tank, and drive it hard on the highway beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom