February ROTM 2/27/16 Most Likely Box Canyon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
UPDATED 2-22!! To Follow are run details. IF there are any changes from here I will comment and post at the top of this.

We will leave the Chevron Minit Market at 569 Az-79 in Florence at 9am. We are running the canyon from South to North. We will leave the Chevron and head to Price Rd where we head East to the Entrance to the canyon. We will divert to the East after the Step and hit a portion of Martinez Canyon Trail. From there, it will be a slow jaunt north until we hit a trail which I don't have a name for and head west. We will exit the area via Cottonwood Canyon Rd. This is State Trust Land and a permit is required. Venture in without at your own risk. For anyone Interested, you could camp overnight and explore for the next 7 days or so, we wont be doing that on this trip. I am planning 6-8 hours for the run.

Feel free to text or call me at 928-699-7591 if you have any questions. I am going to put the list of names I believe are interested below.

Attendees:

@Dimples
@OffRoad Rage
@Chaos55
@msahr
@louxwe
@murf ?
@LX Avalanche
@ftbshop
@noxious1
@Wilma83
@Cruddz
@Saddletramp
@johm73
@Hank Tank ?
@AZRunner ?
@Mattman
@Onefastrx7turbo
@DTSkyCop ?
@05Tacorunner ?
@TexAZ
@1Louder ?
@Dissent
@Otter ?
@crawlAZ ?

February ROTM will be February 27th. We will be doing the run through Box Canyon and some adjoining trails near the Florence Junction. Run will be mostly stocker friendly with a few tougher spots that are capable of being bypassed. The obstacle known affectionately as "The Step" is the hardest part of this run. The pics below should give an idea for those who have never been on the trail before. It will be challenging for stockish vehicles, but 33's and patience in a 100 series was done without any metal/plastic on rock contact. It can be bypassed, but the group as a whole should plan to go down. There is a trail just before on the South side that we may take out East a bit before looping back to the obstacle. We should have some great views for those that have not been out there before. As a family, we have been out there often in the last few years, and I believe the trails I have in mind will make a good run without any super slow or long technical sections. There are so many trails out there, we have to limit ourselves or we could spend all weekend out there. I would suggest participants should count on about 6 hours RT. If there is an appetite for longer, we can easily accommodate.

I will post additional details/ideas as we get closer. Box Canyon is easy to access and not too far away, has lots of mostly easy options with pretty views. We will have some side trails with tougher sections. These can mostly be bypassed. There are also plenty of options to make it more difficult. We will start at the South of Box Canyon and head north up to "The Step". We will most likely go northeast out of the canyon after the step on some of the trails that climb to the top of the ridge. There are some beautiful views with occasional steep hills. We will eventually head back to the West. I am still deciding which trail we will take back West. Length will depend on vehicles attending and everyones appetite for a longer/shorter day. Looks like we have a good group committing already. I'm excited to see who all attends and look forward to seeing you all out there.

As has been stated, State Trust Permit is required. Going without is done at your own risk and not recommended.

Last edited:
@LandCruiserPhil , we went out yesterday for a couple hours and my 100 with 285s did it with no contact anywhere
FB_IMG_1454340934855.jpg
FB_IMG_1454340918970.jpg
20160131_162011.jpg

Oh that looks like fun. And it will be after we are back from DV. I like it.

I was just talking with @samtoddlee about a Box Canyon run yesterday. I'm in and bet he will be too.

Maybe we can get lost, too. And find a Bronco high-centered in a wash. Plenty of play areas at the north end. I'm in.

I have not taken a trip yet but would be interested in getting my 4Runner out a bit, been out on some easy mountain drives but would love to see how she handles a bit rougher stuff.

I'm in unless something major changes. Always wanted to do box canyon.

@Hank Tank , I am certainly not going to discourage you on going. I would love to see Papa Smurf out there. It would definitely increase our cool factor by several multiples. I think steve is right, and that you will be okay. The only places I can think where there might be an issue would be on a few of the steeper hills where my Atrac was definitely in action. My wife followed in the 80 and I had her locked on those hills. I just don't know how it would be without lockers or atrac. I also believe from my past life with my 55 that you should be fine. Hopefully some others will chime in with their thoughts.

@Hank Tank , I am certainly not going to discourage you on going. I would love to see Papa Smurf out there. It would definitely increase our cool factor by several multiples. I think steve is right, and that you will be okay. The only places I can think where there might be an issue would be on a few of the steeper hills where my Atrac was definitely in action. My wife followed in the 80 and I had her locked on those hills. I just don't know how it would be without lockers or atrac. I also believe from my past life with my 55 that you should be fine. Hopefully some others will chime in with their thoughts.

How do you plan to go in/out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom