February 15-18 Presidents’ Day long weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome news @jclarke450 .

I’m -pre running some of the route this weekend with a few folks. We should have all the locations down by late next week.

Will be curious how stock friendly this is, as in second gen Sequoia friendly? Also how much freeway past Flagstaff, could swing in and switch to the FJ62. Certainly not as nice or room of the Sequoia.

Just got a summons for jury duty on the 15th. Would have to change that. Boss is encouraging me to take the time off.

So, I realized last night that I still have the 2 giant packs of hotdogs in my freezer that were left over from the Mojave Road trip. I got claimed them thinking the would be good for a club run, but I have yet to deploy them. Anyone have interest in doing grilled dogs one night? I feel bad claiming them and not using them for a club event. I would be happy to provide the fixins(buns, cheese, mustard, ketchup, etc.) If not, then maybe the next Phoenix meeting we could grill them. Whatever the masses choose, I am good with.

Will be curious how stock friendly this is, as in second gen Sequoia friendly? Also how much freeway past Flagstaff, could swing in and switch to the FJ62. Certainly not as nice or room of the Sequoia.

Just got a summons for jury duty on the 15th. Would have to change that. Boss is encouraging me to take the time off.

I don’t imagine we will do anything more than what we did on the run to north rim and white pocket. I will know more after this weekend.

So, I realized last night that I still have the 2 giant packs of hotdogs in my freezer that were left over from the Mojave Road trip. I got claimed them thinking the would be good for a club run, but I have yet to deploy them. Anyone have interest in doing grilled dogs one night? I feel bad claiming them and not using them for a club event. I would be happy to provide the fixins(buns, cheese, mustard, ketchup, etc.) If not, then maybe the next Phoenix meeting we could grill them. Whatever the masses choose, I am good with.

The difficulty will be in cooking those without a large grill. There may not be fire wood readily available which could also hamper our cooking and warmth. I should know a bit more after this weekend.

The difficulty will be in cooking those without a large grill. There may not be fire wood readily available which could also hamper our cooking and warmth. I should know a bit more after this weekend.

Thanks Steve. I'll standby. Either use them on a run, a meeting, or launch them into space.

Do you have some of the route mapped as .gpx or kml for gaia or similar programs? I'm getting excited. I'll meet up with the group in phoenix before we head up north.

If you saw Forrest Gump you hound recognize this spot. Monument Valley
AA8939A3-92D5-40D3-999A-66C71C5928EC.jpeg
F83ED605-81F7-4FC7-BA9B-31DDA5171FA5.jpeg

If the weather doesn’t warm up, this will be cold weather camping, like our second night in Death Valley or our first night on Mojave Road, below freezing. Everyone will need long underwear, extra blankets or even a second sleeping bag. While I was warm at night with my wool cap pulled down over my head, I was still cold by the campfire and retired early to bed. If you are bothered by cold and are not prepared it will be miserable for you. Please prepare now.

Moab area was still a bit snowy, the BLM office was very helpful and gave us lots of information but cautioned that few areas could accommodate our group size and the presidents weekend will be busy. BLM sites are first come first serve.

We completed a little over 1000 miles, not enough dirt since it is still mostly covered in snow. The scenery is fantastic and I will work out our route to keep us at lower elevation and hopefully warmer.

Just over two weeks away, looking forward to another epic run.
2C33A946-D294-45ED-81AD-91CFAB7516A1.jpeg
77BE5777-415E-4A66-B9D7-3683756732A9.jpeg
AFD8B748-E804-4D80-AA6A-A2685A4C3045.jpeg
793F6DAE-B1C2-435D-88DA-21EDDC848618.jpeg

Snow was everywhere

Awesome recon Steve, looking forward to updates

Looks awesome, can't wait for the trip. I better get started on my 30k miles service.

A couple of weather outlooks for areas we will travel in, plan for cold. Highs in the 40’s lows in the 20’s or teens.
Goosenecks State park
C1A75455-4E0A-49E4-A11E-131626588CB8.png

Moab
AD332E6D-42EF-422C-851C-824584F99D0E.png

Boulder
D39CBB96-3C64-4B8B-B26F-017085B11C98.png

Capitol Reef area
2F67896F-8F7A-46EE-BEA1-35369040446E.png

Steve how would compare this to the North Rim trip last year? Dirt to pavement? Only thing I would call questionable was the first side trip just past Lee's Ferry. One wash crossing would have been questionable in a stock 2nd gen Sequoia.

Looking forward to this. Got my cold weather gear ready.

Fire rings or campfire?

Steve how would compare this to the North Rim trip last year? Dirt to pavement? Only thing I would call questionable was the first side trip just past Lee's Ferry. One wash crossing would have been questionable in a stock 2nd gen Sequoia.

I believe it will be very similar to the route difficulty. Lots of dirt road with scenery and few challenges. Weather is going to be the greatest challenge. I would think the 62 would be easiest but the Sequoia should work and we will need to keep a close eye on spots that might catch you up.

Probably both

What are we thinking as far as refueling? I've got a propane tank and rotopax. Bringing both will require me to carry propane in the vehicle more than likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom