Feb 21st Weekend - Joshua Tree & Salton Sea (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hope everyone is enjoying their AZ winter!

I'm getting kicked out of my house by the fiancee for the weekend of February 21st (I'm really torn up about it Ha). So with my free weekend I'm definitely going to hit up Joshua Tree and Salton Sea, I've never done either trip, I have no clue what my plans are as of yet, but know I'm liking leaving around noon from Scottsdale on Friday (20th) and headed West.

If anyone would like to join in you're more than welcome, I've seen a few threads on Expedition Portal and will spend the next week planning a route. If you've done the trek before please chime in and let me know the must sees along the way or the best camping spots. I'll be pulling my RTT Trailer so not looking for anything majorly technical for this outing. Also the new overlanding puppy with be with me, Cinder the Weimaraner.

I'll be at the monthly meeting this week if anyone wants to discuss in person.

Cheers,

Kirk

Phil....what it has to offer...I don't know yet Ha :) just putting it out there that I have a destination in mind and seeing whatever adventure comes my way...or if someone can help steer me into a overlanding adventure that be great too!!

But....

Joshua Tree is a National Park is between Indio and Yucca Valley California, 33.870126, -115.902171. And the Salton sea is on the South Side of I-10 (South of Joshua Tree). At the North end of Salton sea is Mecca CA.

Joshua Tree is quite large and haven't explored everything on the web yet to find out exactly what it has to offer...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Tree_National_Park
http://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm

Part of the Salton Sea is here ... http://expeditionportal.com/a-southern-california-adventure-2/ or some history on the area..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea

Box Canyon and Painted Canyon

Thousand Palms Oasis

Thanks for the links and info everyone!

The tentative plan is leave Scottsdale around 12-1pm on Friday the 20th, head towards Yucca Valley CA and Camp at Black Rock Campground for one night, mostly because they have availability and it's a starting point.

Saturday go through the West Entrance to the park, do the touristy thing at Skull Rock and Jumbo rocks, then head towards Pinkham Canyon Road and Thermal Canyon Road...I'm hoping this connects to I-10 without having to loop all the way back to Cottonwood but we'll find out. Then push onto the Salton Sea, depending on the time of day either explore the Salton Sea area and take some pics. Or find a place to camp for the night...if we get there early I'll head towards the mighty Colorado River...I'll be looking for what is referred to as the Hippie Hole in Palo Verde CA, near Cibola AZ and park on the banks for the night.

Get up the next morning and head back towards home.

I have a co-worker coming with me thus far, he drives a Heep but I try not to hold it against him.

I'm at camping spot #47 at Black Rock.

Cheers,

Kirk

Thanks for the links and info everyone!

The tentative plan is leave Scottsdale around 12-1pm on Friday the 20th, head towards Yucca Valley CA and Camp at Black Rock Campground for one night, mostly because they have availability and it's a starting point.

Saturday go through the West Entrance to the park, do the touristy thing at Skull Rock and Jumbo rocks, then head towards Pinkham Canyon Road and Thermal Canyon Road...I'm hoping this connects to I-10 without having to loop all the way back to Cottonwood but we'll find out. Then push onto the Salton Sea, depending on the time of day either explore the Salton Sea area and take some pics. Or find a place to camp for the night...if we get there early I'll head towards the mighty Colorado River...I'll be looking for what is referred to as the Hippie Hole in Palo Verde CA, near Cibola AZ and park on the banks for the night.

Get up the next morning and head back towards home.

I have a co-worker coming with me thus far, he drives a Heep but I try not to hold it against him.

I'm at camping spot #47 at Black Rock.

Cheers,

Kirk

Joshua Tree is really scenic, we used to camp there twice a year with my son's old Boy Scout Troop before we moved out here. Its a mix of paved and graded dirt road. You can also head south out of the park on Berdoo Road to Dillon Road via Geology Tour Rd. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/berdoo-canyon-road.433041/

I've frequented the area around Salton Sea and Anza Borrego, to be honest, you'd probably enjoy Anza Borrego a little more.. The area you're covering is quite large. I'm not saying its not doable, but there is a lot to be seen out there. A neat place that I always enjoyed was Fish Creek and Split Mountain. And back where Split Mountain opens up.. you can hike up to the wind caves... Here is a video I happened to find on YouTube. If I wasn't preparing to leave the country I'd might consider going and have my Brother meet us out there! ..

Another neat place is the Pumpkin Patch.. Some geological weirdness.. here is another video on how to get there and what to expect.

Cruiser Bros.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, I had looked at this earlier but forgot to reply with thanks! Apologies for the delay!

Well I guess I'm heading out tomorrow, last call to see if anyone is joining me. I had a coworker bail out due to family in town, so his camping spot at the campground is pre-paid and available for use. Be great if someone came along!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom